Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Glass cleaning ... PITA

Old 09-15-13, 07:22 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Glass cleaning ... PITA

Didn't find a thread on this, so I'll ask... How in the hell can I get my glass streak free??? Tried diff methods and it looks crystal clear in the garage but when I pull her out Into the sun. Can't seem to get the glass streak free, more so on the windshield and back windows, the sides are fine. There is Opti glass on the windows, I use Opti clean solution to clean utilizing 2 MF glass cleaning towels... 1 to spread the product and the other to dry, and I still can't get it right. Should I give the glass a light claying. Don't get me started on cleaning the interior glass, the windshield and back window are a PITA.
Old 09-15-13, 07:37 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

^I found this video to be useful for some tips/reminders.

Another tip I have picked up is to always wipe in different directions on the inside of the window vs. the outside.... this allows you to see where the streaks are. So to be more clear - wipe in an up and down motion on the exterior of the window, and a side to side motion on the inside of the window. Then, if you see streaks later you know if they are inside or outside (or both )

I have CarPro Fly-By-30 that I have been meaning to try out for over a month now, but I never want to take the time to properly clean my windshield haha... oh well.
Old 09-15-13, 07:42 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

i've always used Stoners Glass cleaner for about 2 years now.. Also it doesn't hurt to Clay bar the glass either to get the contaminates off..
Old 09-16-13, 02:52 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Car Glass: Cleaning and Polishing -- /DRIVE CLEAN - YouTube
^I found this video to be useful for some tips/reminders.

Another tip I have picked up is to always wipe in different directions on the inside of the window vs. the outside.... this allows you to see where the streaks are. So to be more clear - wipe in an up and down motion on the exterior of the window, and a side to side motion on the inside of the window. Then, if you see streaks later you know if they are inside or outside (or both )

I have CarPro Fly-By-30 that I have been meaning to try out for over a month now, but I never want to take the time to properly clean my windshield haha... oh well.
Originally Posted by tmf2004
i've always used Stoners Glass cleaner for about 2 years now.. Also it doesn't hurt to Clay bar the glass either to get the contaminates off..
thanx Z, thanx tmf...
Old 09-16-13, 09:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Stoners invisible glass in the aerosol can has always been my favorite glass cleaner.

I clay the glass on the outside and then use stoners invisible glass to clean the windows after I finish drying the car. I have a waffle weave glass cleaning towel that I got from autogeek a long time ago which works great, but I normally use 2 costco towels, 1 to clean the windows and 1 to wipe off any streaks left behind.
Old 09-16-13, 10:57 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Stoners invisible glass in the aerosol can has always been my favorite glass cleaner.

I clay the glass on the outside and then use stoners invisible glass to clean the windows after I finish drying the car. I have a waffle weave glass cleaning towel that I got from autogeek a long time ago which works great, but I normally use 2 costco towels, 1 to clean the windows and 1 to wipe off any streaks left behind.
yea i find that using two towels makes the job easier.. The second towel pics up the left over streaks like you said.. but the end results is pretty nice... crystal clear glass..
Old 09-16-13, 11:33 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This stuff is awesome, i've been using it for 7 years now. Its also good on paint. Sometimes I use it to wipe off the front bumper for a "Quik Wash" its Excellent! Love that stuff.
Old 09-19-13, 04:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

my LS460 is the same way, and my GS was too. Its infuriating. I use the stoner glass stuff and always have some streaking. I remember cleaning my GS glass and getting so frustrated I scratched the glass myself. What I do now is pull it into the light and clean it that way but its never perfect. What funny is I have noticed when it gets streaky the wiper fluid does an amazing job of getting rid of the streaks. What I have done is to use the wipers on it and then do a fast wipe down with the glass cleaner. Its almost like there are oils on the glass
Old 09-21-13, 06:45 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Oil film on the inside is a beast. I've found that washing with detergent is the best way to remove that. Then follow with a clean rag to remove that and wipe with a very fine weave micro towel. Also, work on small sections at a time, as it must be toweled off before any of it dries.
Old 09-21-13, 07:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I use the waffled design microfibers for glass.Windows would look good and then streak later.
When washing I use Woolite and I tried double rinsing the microfibers and that worked for me.
Old 09-21-13, 07:40 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old detailer's trick-newspaper. Never leaves streaks. Any glass cleaner of your choice and this. Just remember to wash your hands before touching your interior!
Old 09-21-13, 08:17 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by kbb
Old detailer's trick-newspaper. Never leaves streaks. Any glass cleaner of your choice and this. Just remember to wash your hands before touching your interior!
I might have to try that. latex gloves FTW

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 09-21-13, 02:46 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
That's one of the oldest tricks in the book. And it won't leave lint either.
Old 09-21-13, 04:28 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

newspaper and invisible glass
Old 09-21-13, 05:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

did a light clay with SIG as the lubricant, wiped her down the waffleweave glass towel and then wiped it again with the smooth (nylon like) glass towel. that did the trick, no streaks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Glass cleaning ... PITA