Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to clean tires?

Old 08-20-13, 09:37 AM
Optochu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have a recommended product?
Old 08-20-13, 09:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

wax/sealant helps keep water spots off the car also since it will just bead off

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical..._p/cws_101.htm
Old 08-20-13, 10:10 AM
2008GT500
Driver School Candidate

My favorite is Simple Green on the rubber with a cheap nylon brush to scrub. Easy to find, easy to use, and will turn brown tires back to black. After that, for the shine, I use Meguiars Gold Class tire gel with the Eagle One swipes. Using the gel vs the spray will prevent you from having tire shine spots all over the side of your car. If you want to be really ****, shine the tires up the day before you wash it, so any excess tire shine will have already sprayed off.
Old 08-22-13, 10:30 PM
Optochu
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
wax/sealant helps keep water spots off the car also since it will just bead off

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical..._p/cws_101.htm
thanks! so if i use it i will be able to remove dried water spots on the car?

never heard of the brand. where can they be found besides online?
Old 08-23-13, 09:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Optochu
thanks! so if i use it i will be able to remove dried water spots on the car?

never heard of the brand. where can they be found besides online?
Chemical Guys is based in California... check out their website for exact location of their store/headquarters.

Water spots need to be removed ASAP by washing the car - which is why the link was to a car washing shampoo. If you let the water spots sit, they will dry on the paint and can even etch into the paint causing permanent damage. This permanent damage can happen very quickly, so it is important to keep your paint protected with something like a sealant or wax. Even if you have a healthy layer of protection, you still need to wash the car if water spots appear.

The only way to remove etched water spots is through machine polishing.
Old 08-23-13, 01:30 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You may be able to drive over to the CG store/warehouse and have a ball. I wish I lived in Cali.
Old 08-26-13, 12:10 AM
Optochu
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Chemical Guys is based in California... check out their website for exact location of their store/headquarters.

Water spots need to be removed ASAP by washing the car - which is why the link was to a car washing shampoo. If you let the water spots sit, they will dry on the paint and can even etch into the paint causing permanent damage. This permanent damage can happen very quickly, so it is important to keep your paint protected with something like a sealant or wax. Even if you have a healthy layer of protection, you still need to wash the car if water spots appear.

The only way to remove etched water spots is through machine polishing.
thanks guys! will order it online soon since they too far from me

what kind of sealant/wax do you guys recommend for obsidian?

My current car care system include:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ech-waxreg-20/
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...detailertrade/

and Turtle Wax ice car wash and turtle wax ice synthetic polish.

altho i'm not really sure the sequence to do it at.. when it comes to polish or wax or sealant .. etc. are they basically all the same thing?
Old 08-26-13, 07:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

thanks guys! will order it online soon since they too far from me

what kind of sealant/wax do you guys recommend for obsidian?

My current car care system include:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ech-waxreg-20/
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...detailertrade/

and Turtle Wax ice car wash and turtle wax ice synthetic polish.

altho i'm not really sure the sequence to do it at.. when it comes to polish or wax or sealant .. etc. are they basically all the same thing?

NO.

Polish - A product containing mild abrasives that work to remove (not fill or hide) surface defects by removing a thin layer of paint to produce a flat, smooth, glossy surface.

^You can clearly see which section has been polished. Polishing is best when done by machine.

as far as sealant and wax, read this thread I wrote... all the answers are in there.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...ou-decide.html
Old 08-27-13, 12:45 PM
Optochu
Rookie

thanks for the informative post! extremely helpful!

however, will i be able to achieve comparable results with my current care system? i don't want to buy and keep too many things all at once

how many yrs approx can the opti-coat 2.0 and 22ple last?
Old 08-27-13, 01:05 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

thanks for the informative post! extremely helpful!

however, will i be able to achieve comparable results with my current care system? i don't want to buy and keep too many things all at once

how many yrs approx can the opti-coat 2.0 and 22ple last?
If you want to use a coating like OC2.0 or 22ple VX1 Pro, then the vehicle will need to undergo an extremely detailed process just to prep the paint for the coating.

The vehicle will need to be:
- Washed & Dried
- Decontaminated using Iron X and Detailing Clay
- Machine Polished to remove surface defects
- Washed & Dried again to remove polishing oils
- Wiped down with diluted isopropyl alcohol to ensure a clean surface, free of any residual oils or products
- and then carefully coated

^The above process is best done by a professional or experienced hobbyist. The prep work is absolutely vital before applying a coating such as OC2.0 or 22ple.

OC2.0 is a permanent coating that will last forever (until it needs to be polished again, that is) and 22ple will last approximately 2 years - these durability claims assume that the vehicle is maintained properly after application.

A sealant and/or wax can be applied by anyone after carrying out the proper washing and decontamination steps.

-Zach
Old 08-27-13, 01:19 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I used to use Tire Wet but changed to Auto Finesse Satin Tyre Gel. It doesn't look as "wet" as some others but doesn't take long to dry off and won't get on your paint when you drive. I actually like the look of it more. It also has a more pleasant smell. I just squeeze it onto an applicator then apply on the tires. I keep my car/tires clean so I use it quite often but this bottle lasts a long time. Another thing is when I do wash the tires, I wash tires and wheels before I wash the car. I just don't want dirty stuff to splash over a clean car. I just use a different bucket with some brushes. Here is a picture. Not the best because it was taken inside the garage at night but can't find one outdoor.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 02:07 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
NO.

Polish - A product containing mild abrasives that work to remove (not fill or hide) surface defects by removing a thin layer of paint to produce a flat, smooth, glossy surface.
That's the definition that most experienced hobbyist and almost all pro detailers use, but unfortunately Sal Zaino confused things by calling his sealants "polishes", and now all the Zaino fanboys (who think the Zaino process is somehow unique) insist that what they are putting on their cars is "polish"

I've also seen glazes called polishes occasionally. That's actually more acceptable to me, because it's still something you do before putting on a layer of protection.
Old 08-29-13, 02:32 PM
redcupr
Driver

Hi all, I did a quick search , seems like few people are using eagle one products to clean their tired. My tires are super dirty and I was wondering if Yiu guys can chime in on how you and what you use to clean yours for a nice black shine? Thanks ~~

Also , what brand microfiber towel do you use to wash and dry the car?
The best tire cleaner I've found is Bleche-White (most auto parts stores have it). Spray it on and wait a minute or so, then I take a wet scrub brush to it. Then rinse. It's amazing the amount of dirt comes off. Leaves the tire nice and black.
Old 08-31-13, 03:00 PM
Bimmer2Lex
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone used Tuff Shine - is it bling bling shiny?

I've read about people using OC 2.0 on their tires. But I don't want to spend $70 for OC just to use on my tires & not sure if it will be really bling.

That blech white looks like it'd be good to prep the tire for a permanent tire coat.

Is there any permanent really really shiny tire coatings?
Old 09-01-13, 12:52 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Bimmer2Lex
Has anyone used Tuff Shine - is it bling bling shiny?

I've read about people using OC 2.0 on their tires. But I don't want to spend $70 for OC just to use on my tires & not sure if it will be really bling.

That blech white looks like it'd be good to prep the tire for a permanent tire coat.

Is there any permanent really really shiny tire coatings?
Tuf shine tire clear coat?

I have it on my wife's SUV. It looks good, I used 3 coats of it and it produces a dark, natural, clean looking sheen. It does not have an artificial, super high gloss look. IMO that super glossy look makes any car look cheap and tacky.

The clear coat requires a ridiculous amount of cleaning prior to application, and in my experience needs to be reapplied (just one or two coats) every month or so to keep it looking like new.

The small bottle lasts a very long time, as the product spreads very thin and you don't use much - even on a bigger SUV tire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to clean tires?