Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 04:46 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^it's going to sit next to my other buffer collection. But yes, the Rupes 21 with the 5in backing plate and this 3in one is basically all you'll need.
Old 05-07-14, 06:01 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Bought some new Microfiber towels to replace the cheap chinese made ones I had, I think they were scratching up my paint. The news ones are high quality Korean made microfiber. Very soft and these will be the only towels that touch my paint. Bought these from The Rag Company

Old 07-14-14, 02:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

bumping this up... received my order today from DI... trying a new to me combo on the Lexus...

Old 07-14-14, 10:46 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
bumping this up... received my order today from DI... trying a new to me combo on the Lexus...
Is that the free waffle weave drying towel in the lower right? I chose that as the freebie in my last order from DI.
Old 07-14-14, 10:59 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by PondScum
Is that the free waffle weave drying towel in the lower right? I chose that as the freebie in my last order from DI.
no i bought that... i wanted the free DI clay bar kit but only one coupon allowed so i chose the summer 25% off...
Old 07-16-14, 11:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I need to start taking more photos of my orders... I get stuff all the time
Old 07-16-14, 11:41 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I need to start taking more photos of my orders... I get stuff all the time
I'm sure you do lol.. you are a professional
Old 09-22-14, 12:03 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm always in search for a good tire dressing. I've used quite a few different bands but never quite pleased. The other night I was at Wal Mart and wandered off to the automotive section. I saw this new Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine Tire Coat Kit and decided to give it a try. I must say it gives me the look I want. Not too glossy, not too dull. The only negative part about it is if it gets on your wheels, you need to clean it quickly or it will stick to the wheels and takes some time to get it off.
Here is a quick shot of the tire after a heavy rain.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 01:27 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Looks good...have read some good and some bad things about those turtle wax tire coatings... but the bad things were bad enough to convince me it is not worth trying.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
Old 09-24-14, 08:38 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
I'm always in search for a good tire dressing. I've used quite a few different bands but never quite pleased. The other night I was at Wal Mart and wandered off to the automotive section. I saw this new Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine Tire Coat Kit and decided to give it a try. I must say it gives me the look I want. Not too glossy, not too dull. The only negative part about it is if it gets on your wheels, you need to clean it quickly or it will stick to the wheels and takes some time to get it off.
Here is a quick shot of the tire after a heavy rain.
i'm with Z BN... that stuff contains ( i forgot). but it will dry out your rubber, on top of other things i have read. throw it away. get a bottle of Optimum opti-bond tire gel.had it since last year and still have more than half the bottle left. the tire looks good though...
Old 09-24-14, 09:11 PM
Rezist89
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good stuff here what other detailing items are useful?
Old 09-25-14, 05:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Rezist89
good stuff here what other detailing items are useful?
here are some products I recommend.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
These are some of my recommendations for basic detailing products and tools. It is important to remember that proper technique is key... even with something as "simple" as washing. If proper techniques are not followed, permanent damage can occur.

First, please CLICK HERE to read an article on proper washing and drying

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Decontamination
- Iron X Iron/Fallout Cleanser
- Fine Grade Clay Bar
- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lubricant (dilute in separate bottle)
- Two Waffle Weave Drying Towels to dry clay lube

Machine Polishing
- Porter Cable 7424XP Kit (includes machine, backing plate, 8 Pads and Pad cleaner - a great deal! I would recommend asking for 2 Orange Light Cutting Pads, 2 White Polishing Pads, 2 Black Finishing Pads, and 2 Blue Fine Finishing Pads)
- You may also consider Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pads if you have harder paint or more severe defects that need to be removed.
- Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 Cutting Compound for removing heavier defects/scratches
- Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish to produce an unbelievable shine
- If you have softer paint, or black paint, you may find it beneficial to follow up with an even finer polish like Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500
- 10 or more quality microfiber towels for removing polish residue (I typically use 30+ towels per full detail)

Protection
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock
Wax: Menzerna Color Lock

Misc. Other Tasks
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Metal Polish + Metal Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer (up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through basics of the full detailing process.

Please let me know if you've got any other specific questions regarding processes, products, technique, etc.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 09-25-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-26-14, 10:55 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i'm with Z BN... that stuff contains ( i forgot). but it will dry out your rubber, on top of other things i have read. throw it away. get a bottle of Optimum opti-bond tire gel.had it since last year and still have more than half the bottle left. the tire looks good though...
You may be right. The Michelins no longer have that good black look. It looks kind of light brownish. But the Dunlops have not changed, still having that look. Michelins are brand new and the Dunlops are about 2 years in service.
Old 09-26-14, 11:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

You may be right. The Michelins no longer have that good black look. It looks kind of light brownish. But the Dunlops have not changed, still having that look. Michelins are brand new and the Dunlops are about 2 years in service.
Some tires just do that worse than others in my experience...

Tire Browning: Blooming
Modern rubber formulas used by tire manufactures contain an ingredient called Antiozonant. An antiozonant is a chemical that tire manufacturers add to the tire rubber to help prevent rubber degradation (cracking, splitting, oxidizing, and overall deterioration) due to the rubber’s interaction with ozone (an odorless gas that is part of the air we breathe). Quite interesting is the fact that tire rubber is designed to constantly work the antiozonant to the outside of the tire as it rolls – in this way, the outside surface of the tire is continually replenished with fresh antiozonant. This process provides the positive result of ozone protection, but the negative result of tire browning – once the antiozonant gets exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown due to oxidation. The technical term for this effect is blooming. The next time you are in a parking lot, observe the tires on the vehicles you pass – most likely you will see a brownish film on the surface of the tires. As we will discuss in a moment, you can wash your tires with car wash soap or an all-purpose cleaner (APC), e.g. Purple Power Cleaner Degreaser, to remove some of the film, but it will simply return in a few weeks! Every time you drive your car, the antiozonant migrates its way to the outside of the tires. One thing you might be aware of is the fact that vehicles that sit for extended periods of time (months or years) often have tires that show evidence of cracking and drying (dry rot). This cracking occurs due to the fact that there is no opportunity for the tires’ antiozonant to migrate to the surface to provide protection.
Old 09-27-14, 06:52 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i have dunlops on the LS... they still look new. had to take the Vossens off. will be using only hub centric wheels from now on. the 19" Lexus touring wheels are my next set. BTW, the stuff you are using is like spray paint, i would not use it again... i have a can in the garage that i used on the front wheel wells.

Quick Reply: Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread