Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-13, 11:02 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread

This is a popular thread in several of the other sub-forums on CL, so I figured it would be fun to see what everyone is getting to detail their cars or customer's cars.

If you're anything like me, it is always exciting to get new detailing products or tools!

Let's see your stuff!

Waiting on my doorstep for me when I get home today are:

CarPro Banner

^CarPro Cquartz (or other coating) applicator and suede microfiber cloths

^Gallon of Sonax Full Effect

^Some more Meguiar's MF Cutting pads

... will be placing another order next week with some fun stuff, too!
Old 08-21-13, 08:50 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a 2010 IS250C for my wife last month, which has rekindled my interest in detailing. I gave away a lot of unwanted product via the local Freecycle group, and picked up a few new things. The plan for the IS is clay, polish with the SF4000, and coat it with Gtechniq EXOv2. I chose the EXOv2 because its application is nearly foolproof, in contrast to products like Opti-Coat, that require more care. I kept the Zaino and Opti-Seal for when I detail other people's cars, as I don't want to use the expensive coating on their cars. The products I gave away were mostly sealants: Klasse AIO and HGSG, Blackfire sealant, 4 Star UPP, and various instant detail sprays I no longer use.

No pics of the boxes I got from Autogeek but here is what is on the shelves of my garage.

Oh yeah, there's a bottle of Chemical Guys "Stripper Scent" hidden back there, so my wife can't see it.

Old 08-21-13, 10:33 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Nice!

Ever applied Opti-Coat? It is very easy.

22ple is even easier... I would consider most coating applications easy from my experience with them.
Old 08-21-13, 10:38 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^Cquartz Finest for the GT-R I'm working on this weekend

^Fly By 30 windshield and glass coating

^Ceriglass Polish

^Sonax Perfect Finish

and a bunch of other stuff, but I am too lazy to copy pictures for everything
Old 08-21-13, 11:21 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the stories about streaking problems with Opti-Coat when applied in hot climates had me a little nervous. I wanted to start off with something foolproof before moving on to longer lasting coatings. EXOv2 seems to have been developed specifically to be easy to apply, with just a small compromise in longevity.

My impression of Opti-Coat is that it has the reputation of being the longest lasting of the coatings (effectively permanent), but also the trickiest to apply.
Old 08-21-13, 01:40 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I just applied OC2.0 last weekend in 90 degree relatively humid weather and it was a piece of cake. I use the CarPro applicators (that come with CQuartz Finest, but you can purchase them separately as well) and they are fantastic. OC2.0 is self leveling, so if you don't apply it too thin it just disappears on it's own, if not it is safe to follow up with a very light wiping with a clean microfiber a few minutes after application (time depends on ambient conditions).

You can get a few vehicles out of 1 tube, so it is not like you are out of luck if you "mess up" a little bit on your first go around.

As far as the durability claims... I could care less as long as a coating gives me 1.5-2 years of life. I will polish my vehicle every 1.5-2 years anyways so that would remove whatever coating might still be applied.

Anyways, don't be afraid of trying those products.

-Zach
Old 08-21-13, 07:41 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
I picked up a 2010 IS250C for my wife last month, which has rekindled my interest in detailing. I gave away a lot of unwanted product via the local Freecycle group, and picked up a few new things. The plan for the IS is clay, polish with the SF4000, and coat it with Gtechniq EXOv2. I chose the EXOv2 because its application is nearly foolproof, in contrast to products like Opti-Coat, that require more care. I kept the Zaino and Opti-Seal for when I detail other people's cars, as I don't want to use the expensive coating on their cars. The products I gave away were mostly sealants: Klasse AIO and HGSG, Blackfire sealant, 4 Star UPP, and various instant detail sprays I no longer use.

No pics of the boxes I got from Autogeek but here is what is on the shelves of my garage.

Oh yeah, there's a bottle of Chemical Guys "Stripper Scent" hidden back there, so my wife can't see it.

i see it. it's behind the OPS and next to the menzerna . i love that stuff. i use it when i vacuum ( instead of using LOVE MY CARPET, i use STRIPPER SCENT ) the carpets in the house the house smells heavenly.
Old 08-21-13, 07:51 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Z... let me know how the Car Pro works out? i am intrigued by the G-Technic products also, have you ever used them?
Old 08-22-13, 07:08 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^A better idea of what showed up at my place yesterday... everything to the right of the CG Black on Black is not for me though.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Z... let me know how the Car Pro works out? i am intrigued by the G-Technic products also, have you ever used them?
^Will do... I'm going to be applying CQF to a customer car this weekend and will be removing the 22ple and applying CQF whenever I get time.

I have no experience with any of the G-Technic products.
Old 09-04-13, 08:32 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying out some Chemical Guys

Hey Zach let me know if i miss anything
Attached Thumbnails Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 09-04-13, 10:29 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sgmbab
Hey Zach let me know if i miss anything
looks like you're off to a good start. the Blitz sealant is very good, try not to get it in the cracks and crevices because when it dries... the P40 detailer is not bad also. where's the HV7?
Old 09-04-13, 10:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Holy cow!!

You've got enough glaze and sealant to last a lifetime... I've been working on the same bottle of EZ Creme glaze for about a year now and have used it on 10+ cars. It is maybe 1/2 gone.

I am not familiar with or have never used several of those products, but it looks like you're off to a good start.

Hopefully you have some more buffing pads because 1 of each color is not going to be enough.
Old 09-04-13, 10:56 AM
sgmbab
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Holy cow!!

You've got enough glaze and sealant to last a lifetime... I've been working on the same bottle of EZ Creme glaze for about a year now and have used it on 10+ cars. It is maybe 1/2 gone.

I am not familiar with or have never used several of those products, but it looks like you're off to a good start.

Hopefully you have some more buffing pads because 1 of each color is not going to be enough.
I actually have plenty of pads and just wanted to try out the hex logic. The reason I bought so much was because Amazon has good deals on the gallon size so I could't resist. Plus I'm stepping foot in the detailing game.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
looks like you're off to a good start. the Blitz sealant is very good, try not to get it in the cracks and crevices because when it dries... the P40 detailer is not bad also. where's the HV7?
I was having a hard time deciding between blitz and V7, but ultimately went with Blitz because of its better durability.
Old 09-04-13, 12:10 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

I actually have plenty of pads and just wanted to try out the hex logic. The reason I bought so much was because Amazon has good deals on the gallon size so I could't resist. Plus I'm stepping foot in the detailing game.
I purchase a lot of my products in the gallon size - great way to save money on products that you know you will continue to use. Good luck on your detailing business

I was having a hard time deciding between blitz and V7, but ultimately went with Blitz because of its better durability.
V7 is a fantastic product for quick detailing wipe downs and to use when drying the vehicle... I would not count on it for much additional protection, but it is a nice booster product to use on a regular basis.

I usually give every car a quick once over with V7 immediately before a customer picks up their car. I also use it when drying my car to help provide some lubrication for my drying towel and it also leaves a nice smooth surface behind. I love the stuff, and it is cheap too!
Old 09-04-13, 05:23 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Ran out of ONR and remember a post from Syd! Thanks, buddy. Similar smell too.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Official "Look What I Got Today" Detailing Thread