Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best car wax????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 08:25 PM
mtbmtb01
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best car wax????

best car wax????
i know this will be pretty subjective, but i was wondering on experience here...
the deal is advance auto 40% off, but I don't know which to buy???

Meguiar's Ultimate Synthetic Polymer Liquid Wax seems to have good reviews, also the high tec yellow

I used to be a zymol man, but it's a headache with the light blue residue in all the cracks so I was looking at trying something else,

I had bought Armor All Extreme Shield Wax on special. I like how left no white residue on plastic, but the shine was not the wet look I was after and I left some streaking (too much of an area at one time?)

the car is a Lexus es 350 in smokey granite mica (dark charcoal color almost black). ( this is my 2nd lexus and I know the paint sometimes suck.

I read good reviews on Collinite Insulator Wax (gives me call my local store so I doubt if they stock it) and Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish.

just wondering if I should get sometimes else with the 40% off it's generally cheaper than wally world.
Old 07-20-13, 06:12 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

when i owned a SGM ES, i was on a Zaino kick... everything that went on that car was Zaino. now that i have OC 2.0 on my LS i don't wax her as much, but when i do i use OCW. i also like BFMS, CG Lava, and CG J97. always wanted to try Swissvax for Lexus... there is a name for it but i can't remember it, it's supposed to be made for Lexus paint. the wax is called Reflexus by Swissvax and it's made specifically for lexus paint. it is expensive, $200.00 a pot.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 07-20-13 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-20-13, 02:47 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like Blitz Wax. Been around for 55 years and is really nice. Deep shine easy to apply and remove.
Old 07-22-13, 03:31 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Just whatever you use use it often. No one will ever agree on the best wax or best anything for that matter.
Old 07-23-13, 06:53 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by zapa
Just whatever you use use it often. No one will ever agree on the best wax or best anything for that matter.
Yup... ask 50 detailers what the best wax is and you'll get 50 different answers.

Zapa had great advice though... whatever you go with, use it often!

General rule of thumb: Apply Sealant every 4-6 months, Apply carnauba wax every 4-8 weeks.
^This is very dependent on what product you are using, but it is better to be safe and apply often.
Old 07-24-13, 04:32 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

give collinite a try
Old 07-24-13, 05:00 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I can tell you my experience with Meg's Ultimate Liquid wax (really a sealant). It does not leave any white dust behind. It's easy on and off and lasts several months. Leaves a slick, slippery feel to the paint so dirt doesn't get much of a grip making subsequent washing easier. It can be used in direct sunlight. It makes metallic paint pop. Since it doesn't dry white it can be used on exterior vinyl trim as well, even textured trim. I no longer need or use dedicated vinyl trim protectants.

I also like to use Meguiar's D156, a.k.a. Ultimate Quick Wax, on the entire vehicle (paint, glass and trim) after every wash. This is a quick wipe-on / wipe-off sealant that restores that just waxed look and feel, as well as removing any water sports I may have missed. Takes all of about 15 minutes to do the whole SUV.

But do remember this, the key to stunning looks is in the initial prep. Wash, clay, polish then add the wax, sealant or coating of your choice. Doing this will make the paint look better and the protection last longer.
Old 07-25-13, 08:19 PM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big fan of Collinite, especially the 845.

I've also really enjoyed burning through a tub of Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax.

But as jfelbab noted, it's ALL in the preparation. Nothing beats a well-prepared surface.
Old 07-25-13, 11:30 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best Wax? goldRush Rally(TM) and don't forget to post pics after.

http://www.mitchellandking.com/luxur..._name=goldrush
Old 07-26-13, 10:22 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL......what are the odds that Gold Rush is really just repackaged, re-fragranced Nu Finish?
Old 07-26-13, 04:52 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There really is no best wax as everyone has said. If you're looking for protection then using some 22PLE is going to be your best route or some sort of sealant top that with wax and you'll get the best of both worlds. I'm a fan of Collinite 845 and 376 mainly cause you can use it on wheels also and it lasts forever. Topped on top of a sealant and it's great. If you want more gloss and depth then you need to polish the car and 'Jewel' the paint then use some sort of glaze and your paint will pop.
Old 07-31-13, 07:59 AM
redoctane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sealents are the best for protection
Old 07-31-13, 08:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by redoctane
Sealents are the best for protection
^Coatings are truly the best for protection.
Old 07-31-13, 09:20 AM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^Coatings are truly the best for protection.
Can't agree more. I have 22ple pro on my car and I love it. Dirty just really does not stick to it anymore.
Old 07-31-13, 10:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Indeed... I'm loving the 22ple coating. I've had it on for about a year and it is still going strong.

I'm weird though and might remove it just for the sake of trying something new. Might look into CQuartz Finest if I can get my hands on it.

Quick Reply: best car wax????