Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

best products for waxing/detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 12:44 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default best products for waxing/detailing?

Id like to wax and detail the outside of my silver gs soon, and was just curious as to what some fellow owners find works best, I know everyone has their own opinion, Ive only used turtle wax before and would love input on somnething else. thank you!
Old 06-29-13, 01:04 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Collonite 845 insulator wax is the best stuff I have used. Easy to work with and protection last a good solid 6 months. Sonax has some good Quick detailer stuff. Optima wash is what I use for washing the vehicles. This will probably get moved over to the detail forum. Check there
Old 06-29-13, 01:19 PM
puff
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's an automotive care and detailing sub-forum for questions just like that.
Old 06-29-13, 02:38 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by puff
There's an automotive care and detailing sub-forum for questions just like that.

its been covered plenty of times! us 2GS owners dont need a different waxing and detailing product from the rest of Lexus
Old 06-29-13, 02:55 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Optima wash is what I use to wash my cars. Great stuff. Going to give Sonax quick detailer a try.
Old 06-29-13, 02:59 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There's gonna be a hundred opinions and there are a bunch of great threads in the detailing section. If you don't want to spend a lot bit want better than most otc stuff I've been really happy with Poorboys products.

Welcome to a fellow Minnesotan! Where are you from?
Old 06-29-13, 04:53 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

new brighton, right outside minneapolis basically, you?
Old 06-29-13, 10:05 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Best product is you, time, patience, fine tools such as MF towels, and Porter Cable polisher or equivalent. A fine prep work brings out the best shine, way more than sloppy Joe using the finest products available.
Old 06-30-13, 06:14 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If the only thing you have used is Turtle Wax, than pretty much anything is better than that hahaha.

There are so many good products out there that it's hard to say which is best. That's like asking a public forum which potato chips are the best; everyone will have their own preference and opinion.

If you are looking for long term durability, than look at nano coatings like Wolf's Hard Body, CarPro CQuartz, 22PLE, or Opti-Coat 2.0 (which is a permanent coating).

If you want to stick to a regular wax or sealant, I recommend Blackfire Wet Diamond, Collinite 845 or 476, or Menzerna Power Lock.

Obviously these are just my suggestions, but you will not be disappointed with any of the products I listed, they all completely blow Turtle Wax out of the water.
Old 07-01-13, 08:26 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Best product is you, time, patience, fine tools such as MF towels, and Porter Cable polisher or equivalent. A fine prep work brings out the best shine, way more than sloppy Joe using the finest products available.
This is great advice... the right technique and the right tools matter more than using the 'best' products.

Assuming you have the right tools and understand proper technique, check out any of the CL forum sponsors for some great products... www.DetailedImage.com www.Autogeek.net www.DetailersDomain.com
Old 07-09-13, 02:52 PM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope that when they say the right tools they don't mean any power tools. Power tools and fine finishes don't mix.
I use products recommended from this linked site. I am not in any way promoting his products only to inform by his articles what process to use and type of product.

How to Properly Wash Your Vehicle
http://store.carcareonline.com/washyourvehicle.aspx

Cleaning Your Paint
http://store.carcareonline.com/clean...paintwork.aspx

Protecting Your Car's Paint Finish
http://store.carcareonline.com/prote...intfinish.aspx

And one time I did go a little crazy and did the wax application using my fingers.
Old 07-10-13, 05:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoplak
I hope that when they say the right tools they don't mean any power tools. Power tools and fine finishes don't mix.
I use products recommended from this linked site. I am not in any way promoting his products only to inform by his articles what process to use and type of product.

How to Properly Wash Your Vehicle
http://store.carcareonline.com/washyourvehicle.aspx

Cleaning Your Paint
http://store.carcareonline.com/clean...paintwork.aspx

Protecting Your Car's Paint Finish
http://store.carcareonline.com/prote...intfinish.aspx

And one time I did go a little crazy and did the wax application using my fingers.
You must be delusional... power tools (ie buffers) make fine finishes... and much quicker and often with much better results than what can be achieved by hand. Detailing, just like many other specialized professions/hobbies, takes time and practice. The use of a dual action polisher to apply wax is not only extremely safe, but extremely effective and efficient!

Having a closed mind about using machines is not only holding you back, but also costing you a bunch of valuable time.

I can provide personal examples of how "power tools" and fine finishes play very nicely together... I've got tons of examples
Old 07-11-13, 09:11 AM
fyeah
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Id like to wax and detail the outside of my silver gs soon, and was just curious as to what some fellow owners find works best, I know everyone has their own opinion, Ive only used turtle wax before and would love input on somnething else. thank you!
If you're applying wax, you should definitely be treating the car with some clay first. I use Poor Boy's Natty Blue Paste Wax. It's about $25-$30, and will last for five-six cars if you apply a thin coat of wax, like you're supposed to.

There are some great articles and write-ups out there for step-by-step instructions on how to do this. Everyone will point you to one, but I'm pointing you to www.detailedimage.com and "wes_r" of Orion Detailing in Ontario, Canada.

Google search: wes-r detailing and read his articles. He is a magician.