Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Where's my leather smell gone? Zaino problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 03:55 AM
Poisson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Where's my leather smell gone? Zaino problem?

I've been using Zaino Z10 for years - I've always loved the new leather smell it gave. Some time ago (maybe a year or two) I noticed it was more runny than previously and the smell was somewhat muted. Now I have a new 2013 RX450h and the leather smell in that was absolutely sensuous - until the first time I used Zaino on it. Now the smell is completely gone

Has anybody else noticed that Zaino Z10 has changed? And more important - how can I restore the smell of new leather to my new car?

Last edited by Poisson; 04-30-13 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Z9 -> Z10
Old 04-28-13, 05:22 AM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I too have noticed a reduction in the after-effect scent with Z9/Z10, but I correlated it to taking delivery of my 2013, not something that changed in Z9/Z10 itself. I could be wrong, but suspect it's due to the perforations and perhaps the aniline seats in my 2013 -- less contact area for the Z10, and a different type and finish to the leather. My former RX400h had solid leather that was always a bit more "sturdy" in comparison, and I don't think was the supposedly more luxurious and soft aniline variety that I now have in my 2013. I additionally use Z10 on the dash and other synthetic areas, and that helps somewhat restore the scent because of the greater covered surface area, but still, not to the same degree as I had in my 2006. If you think the problem is with the formulation, drop an email to Sal Zaino using the technical contact address you'll find on the ZainoStore site -- he's personally been most responsive to me the few times I've asked questions of him over the years. For me, having access to the owner/developer has been one of the little side benefits using a boutique product like Zaino vs. some of the big-corporation stuff.

In Australia, if you have access to Griots Garage products via a local distributor or perhaps via Autogeek.net, this one in the leather scent is what I've used in combination with Z10 for years -- a few shots on the floor mats help, as does the same thing to a dedicated foam pad I stick under the seats. It at least gives me that leather smell for a couple days after my weekly detailing regime.

Last edited by BertL; 04-28-13 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Added Z10 references -- Z9 for cleaning, Z10 for conditioning
Old 04-28-13, 07:11 AM
Poisson
Driver

Thanks Bert. I don't think it's anything to do with the perforations as both my Benz and my previous Lexus had perforated leather. I've taken your advice and written direct to Zaino, so we'll see what help they can offer.

BTW I noticed I've been quoting Z9 - I actually meant Z10 "leather in a bottle".

Regards
Paul
Old 04-28-13, 09:48 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

maybe you guys got hold of a bad batch... i would think if Zaino changed the formula, they would inform the dedicated Zaino users of the change.
Old 04-28-13, 09:51 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

My current bottle is about out and ready to re-order soon.... interested to hear what you learn if you reach out.

Love the smell of that stuff.
Old 04-30-13, 02:56 AM
Poisson
Driver

Default I spoke to Sal Zaino...

I spoke to Sal Zaino. He tells me the viscosity was changed a couple of years ago because he was getting complaints about the product clogging the holes in perforated leather. But that's the only change he's ever made to the formula.

He didn't really have an answer as to the reduced aroma, but it could be that because the product is more runny now I'm spreading it more thinly and hence putting less on the leather. I'll try splashing it on next time and see if that improves things.
Old 04-30-13, 04:58 AM
BertL
Racer

^^^ Thanks for the FUP, Paul. I appreciate it.

Isn't Sal a great guy? How many times can one talk to the developer/owner/president for a product we buy these days?
Old 04-30-13, 11:45 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if your bottle is old and stored outside in heat or cold it could affect the smell and/or viscosity....I have an older bottle that seems to have gotten thinner and changed color a bit versus a new bottle I have.
Old 04-30-13, 12:28 PM
TOGWT
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Leather Smell

Leather scent is one of the most-loved scents in the world. Leather scent can never be retrieved from the leather itself. Perfumers for hundreds of years have been trying to represent leather in the form of oil and it has been mixtures of citrus, rose, neroli, and spices. For a long time, birch-tar was a stable ingredient of leather aroma but it became a restricted chemical and can’t be used now. The smell of leather comes from the now no longer used, vegetable tanning and the oils used in the fat liquoring process.

For many years the leather used in expensive cars was tanned, processed and colored in order to neutralize its natural smell. It was then injected with industrial chemicals. More commonplace these days are chemicals called quinolenes that are mixed with phenols (smelling of creosote) to create a base leather note.

Then it is modified with moss, labdanum and other resins and including vanilla, which puts fragrant oils back into leather to restore a new leather aroma. Leather Essence The only product I’ve found that actually smells of leather (rather than a chemical) - htp://www.lttsolutions.co.uk/leather-essence.html
Old 04-30-13, 09:47 PM
Poisson
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
if your bottle is old and stored outside in heat or cold it could affect the smell and/or viscosity....I have an older bottle that seems to have gotten thinner and changed color a bit versus a new bottle I have.
Yes, Mr Z raised that possibility with me. The bottle is new, but I have no way of knowing how and for how long it was stored between the factory and here.
Old 05-02-13, 06:46 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chemical Guys Leather Scent is pretty good. Try Bowdens Own leather products. Aussie made for coated leather.
Old 05-04-13, 01:57 AM
Poisson
Driver

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Chemical Guys Leather Scent is pretty good. Try Bowdens Own leather products. Aussie made for coated leather.
Thanks Dave - I'll check them out.
Old 05-04-13, 05:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Poisson
Thanks Dave - I'll check them out.
I use the same scent.
The same scent as Griots Garage leather scent at 1/4 the cost.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...air_102_16.htm
Old 08-22-14, 01:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
My current bottle is about out and ready to re-order soon.... interested to hear what you learn if you reach out.

Love the smell of that stuff.
So I finally ran out and ordered a new Zaino Leather in a Bottle last month from Zainostore and used it for the first time today.

Smell is significantly (read that as nearly entirely) gone from the previous batch. I've had the old bottle probably 5 years.

The new formula didn't clog the holes in the perforated leather, so that change worked. I probably will look for other candidates after this runs out. I still have some Lexol and Meg's leather products stored down in the basement as well.
Old 08-26-14, 02:51 PM
Nospinzone

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

I've used Zaino products for many years, but recently I decided to move up to more professional products. I didn't intend to change the leather cleaner and protector because I haven't found anything better, and I'm always afraid I'll get some brand with silicone in it without knowing.