Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need detailing help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-02, 02:27 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need detailing help!

-I want to clean my interior really well and softenthe leather, and my leather has some spots on it, what should I use on my leather and on my carpet?

-My car's paint has a lot of "swirl" like my in the paint. For example after I wash it if you look at the hood it looks like the entire hood is covered with little scrathes or swirls, how can I get rid of these on my entire car, how hard is it, and what products should I use? I want my paint to look flawless and shiny and smooth so it reflects like a mirror.

I want to completely "detail" my interior and especially the exterior paint. Please any advise and tips please let me know.

What products should I use, and as far as the exterior what order do I do each one in?

I know so products have a "step" process, what would be the best order for the exterior (and of what brand) and if you have the numbers of the product that would be great. Like if it is 2, 3, and 6 or whatever each step is numbered. I want the full deal done, I don't want to skip anything I want it to look amazing when I am done.

I hope all this work lasts, and it doesn't look like it did again in 3 months.

Thanks so much,
Matt

Last edited by mcnelson; 12-25-02 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-31-02, 06:10 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Leather: I have yet to find a product that softens leather that has already become semi-hard (not saying yours is). From my experience, none of the wipes (like armor all, meguiars), or liquidy leather products work as well as the leather cleaner/conditioners that are CREAMY and come in a bottle that you have to squeeze out onto a rag yourself.

Carpet: You can scrub the floormats. easy/cheap way: take out floormats, get a brush, put a very small amount of laundry detergent, and water, and scrub away. hang dry without bending, so either vertical or laid flat. the rest of the carpet interior, you cant do this...you can get meguiars heavy duty carpet and interior cleaner in the purple(?) plastic bottle and work little by little.

swirl marks: if you aren't going to repaint, the only way to "fix" those is with a filler or abrasive. try something gentle first, then if that doesnt work, go more aggressive. meguiar's scratch X is a good first step, but might be a pain to use on large panels. from your sig, i see your car is black...swirl marks are more obvious on those! as for waxing, if you want a flawless look, you probably want a carnauba wax, but if you want it to last, or if you are in harsh conditions, a polymer wax is probably better. Carnauba or Polymer, it really depends on how much time you're willing to spend and what kind of shine you want.

Full Detailing Steps: wash with dishwashing liquid (only if you are going to do the full detail immediately after!!!!!!!), treat/clean the paint surface, polish, and wax. in that order. all steps are important.

and sorry, all this work will only last til the next bird bombs away or rain falls. good thing is, if you did steps 2-4 right, all you have to do is wash the car again and you are set.
Old 12-31-02, 06:53 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'll admit that I'm one of the Zainoheads on CL but I'll qualify that by saying that I only became so after using Sal's stuff and seeing that it performs exactly (!!!!) as the site description says it will. The wax is also the easiest product to remove that I've ever used.

Go to Zainobros.com and see what you think. Lots of information on the products and lots of detailing tips on use.

Here's another site with more detailing information not so much commercially related: http://autopia-carport.com/ForumIndex.htm.
Old 01-01-03, 02:03 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys very much for your info and help, I really appreciate it.
~Matt
Old 01-02-03, 06:25 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for your leather, use soft scrub. not the kind with bleach, but with lemon. someone on this site posted that suggestion, and i was very skeptical. saw the pics and decided to give it a try. worked like a charm!!! just use soft scrub and a scrub brush. i bought one from targe that is supposed to be used for dishes, for like 2 bucks. i was very surprised at how much better it worked than ANYTHING else that i have used, and i would consider myself very involved in keeping my car clean. just use a damp towel to wipe off the seat that you have cleaned (i would suggest cleaning one at a time) and a dry one to wipe it dry, and you should be good to go. any questions, let me know.
Old 01-02-03, 06:31 PM
Lvangundy

Conditioning the leahter is another story. Check ehre for more info

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=60556