Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car Washing Preference for your Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 06:15 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Washing Preference for your Lexus

I enjoy washing/waxing my RX350 when the weather permits here in the Midwest.

But when it comes to commercial car washing systems, which ones do you prefer and why?

Personally I stay away from anything with brushes, and prefer any brushless with water pressure.

Using these systems the prices range from $7 to $10 with a under flush.

Do you feel the $10 wash with extra soap and rinses are worth it?

Cheers!
Old 03-22-13, 10:36 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

No. Wash it by hand. Much safer for your car.
Old 03-23-13, 05:45 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
I enjoy washing/waxing my RX350 when the weather permits here in the Midwest.

But when it comes to commercial car washing systems, which ones do you prefer and why?

Personally I stay away from anything with brushes, and prefer any brushless with water pressure.

Using these systems the prices range from $7 to $10 with a under flush.

Do you feel the $10 wash with extra soap and rinses are worth it?

Cheers!
No probably not, but the length of the blower time is usually longer and some times the under carriage only comes with the more expense.

Sorry, if my car is covered with salt and I don't have time or desire to hand wash or I'm out of town or I have a cold and don't want to get wet, a car wash is an acceptable method, for me.

And the same goes for bugs!!! I think it's better to get them off than wait to hand wash.

Last edited by DunWkg; 03-23-13 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 05:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use a Laser Touchess Car Wash. This particular business does not use recycled water. I typically negotiate a "winter bundle" purchase of 12-16 wash codes from the dealer to get the price down to around half price for the Deluxe wash which includes an underbody flush but no wax.

After the wash, I take the vehicle home, QD it, then apply Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax, a spray on wipe off sealant. I do this weekly, or more frequently after driving heavily salted freeways. Vehicle looks fine after years of this so this kind of wash has proven to be safe enough and does not introduce any swirling into the paint. Clearly better than leaving the salt on and under the car, IMO.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-23-13 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 07:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I use a Laser Touchess Car Wash. This particular business does not use recycled water. I typically negotiate a "winter bundle" purchase of 12-16 wash codes from the dealer to get the price down to around half price for the Deluxe wash which includes an underbody flush but no wax.

After the wash, I take the vehicle home, QD it, then apply Meg's Ultimate Quik Wax, a spray on wipe off sealant. I do this weekly, or more frequently after driving heavily salted freeways. Vehicle looks fine after years of this so this kind of wash has proven to be safe enough and does not introduce any swirling into the paint. Clearly better than leaving the salt on and under the car, IMO.
I do something very similiar during the winter. Even use UQW and UQD after washing.
Old 03-27-13, 08:28 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in texas, so i hand wash all year.
I use waterless wash, so if it gets cold I can wash in the garage, and if it's really gross out sometimes I'll leave it in the garage and take the bus to campus. I also sometimes walk or ride my bike to work if I don't want to get my baby dirty when the roads have snow or water on them, or whenever any of our dust storms come blowing in. I probably clay it too much, but I always clay it before I wax or apply any compound, so I usually clay and wax it every other month, and it stays in the garage unless I absolutely have to drive it (running late) or it's nice out. Sometimes I find myself feeling like I have to wipe it down or wash it just to drive it though.
Old 03-29-13, 05:54 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

You mentioned using QD first and then UQW. Is there an advantage to this sequence? I use the wax 1st and then the detailer. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 03-29-13, 06:40 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
You mentioned using QD first and then UQW. Is there an advantage to this sequence? I use the wax 1st and then the detailer. Am I missing something? Thanks.
I do it this way after using the touchless wash for two reasons.

Consider that WI winters are full of salt and brine. After a touchless wash I notice some areas where the salt/brine has not been completely removed. The blow dryer doesn't remove all the moisture and after a drive home I will see dried brine in spots/streaks on the paint.

The QD will remove any film or missed salt left after the wash along with any water spots left after the blow dry and it will also remove any dust acquired on the drive home. Once in my garage, I want to be sure the paint is clean before adding the spray sealant (UQW / D156). This is my winter routine.

On a normal basis, if the car is only slightly dusty, I'll use the QD to remove the dust/fingerprints but I always add another coat of the spray sealant afterwards as it is so easy. It does enhance the sickness of the prior wax/sealant coating which makes the paint easier to keep clean and since it only takes 15 minutes to do the whole car I just do it.

Another consideration... Every time you wash or wipe down the car you are removing a little bit of the extremely thin coating of protection. I like to replenish this coating frequently.

Last edited by jfelbab; 03-29-13 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-29-13, 07:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I do it this way after using the touchless wash for two reasons.

Consider that WI winters are full of salt and brine. After a touchless wash I notice some areas where the salt/brine has not been completely removed. The blow dryer doesn't remove all the moisture and after a drive home I will see dried brine in spots/streaks on the paint.

The QD will remove any film or missed salt left after the wash along with any water spots left after the blow dry and it will also remove any dust acquired on the drive home. Once in my garage, I want to be sure the paint is clean before adding the spray sealant (UQW / D156). This is my winter routine.

On a normal basis, if the car is only slightly dusty, I'll use the QD to remove the dust/fingerprints but I always add another coat of the spray sealant afterwards as it is so easy. It does enhance the sickness of the prior wax/sealant coating which makes the paint easier to keep clean and since it only takes 15 minutes to do the whole car I just do it.

Another consideration... Every time you wash or wipe down the car you are removing a little bit of the extremely thin coating of protection. I like to replenish this coating frequently.
Thanks. Good ideas. I have the same problem with road salt and touchless car washes here in IL too.