Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How do you usually wash your RX?
Hand wash
87.10%
Gas station car wash
6.45%
Lexus car wash
0%
Costco tunnel wash
3.23%
Brown Bear tunnel wash
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

How do you wash your car most of the time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 10:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I always said I would never admit it, but here goes. In the summer, I only hand wash with 2 buckets. I keep a good coat of sealer on it, and do my best to keep it as clean as possible in between washes. However, winter is a different story. I admit it. I use a car wash! It's just too cold to hand wash, and it has to be done often enough to keep the magnesium chloride from consuming the entire car. Also, I like the fact that the car wash I use really sprays down the undercarriage.

The thing is, I know it will introduce swirls, and remove the sealer. So I use spray on sealer after every wash (especially on the chrome bits), to put back as much protection as I can, and to clean off the chemical residue. Then I just plan on doing a really good spring detail to get out the swirls. I guess I figure the mag chloride is worse than the swirls.
That is why the invented the wonderful OPTIMUM NO RINSE - rinseless car wash.

You can still wash your car with the 2 bucket method during the winter, but stay warm in your garage!

CHECK OUT THIS ARTICLE FOR MORE INFO!
Old 03-19-13, 10:30 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Shame on me...looks like I am the only one not washing and going to Brown Bear. They claim that hand washing is bad and their equipment is good.

http://www.brownbear.com/washes-pricing/why-brown-bear

Anyone think I should stop going to them? My RX is truffle mica and so far no paint problems...
Old 03-19-13, 10:43 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Truffle Mica is a very metallic paint, which helps to hide any defects such as swirls and scratches. I would go so far as to say there is no way your car is completely swirl free, because that is just reality. Whether or not they are coming from the car wash is something you would have to determine on your own.

From their website they seem to like to claim that Hand washing is similar to rubbing your car with sand paper... well obviously they are out to make money by washing cars, but I can promise you that hand washing is far safer and superior to any automatic wash. It is just that simple.

I will agree that the vast majority of people do not properly wash their vehicles (when doing a hand washing) so it is highly likely that they are rubbing embedded particles on their car and marring their paint. If you utilize the 2 bucket wash method with grit guards, you eliminate this issue.

You can do what you would like, however it is my personal opinion that you will save yourself money and have a better looking vehicle if you invest your own time into learning how to properly hand wash and maintain your paint.

Proper annual maintenance involves things like:
-Weekly, or bi-weekly maintenance washes (including washing the wheels, tires, wheel wells, etc)
-Using detailing clay to remove bonded contaminates 1-2 times each year
-Applying durable paint sealant 2-3 times per year
-Also (optional if using sealant), applying carnauba wax every 4-8 weeks

I strongly encourage every car owner to look into purchasing a dual action polisher and learning the basics of machine polishing. These machines are also great for applying glaze, sealant, and wax!

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 03-19-13 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-19-13, 07:30 PM
inkredible
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always hand wash, except for during the winter. I wash at the self service car washes. Since I have owned my Lexus, I have never let it go through any form of automated car wash.
Old 03-21-13, 02:53 AM
lexu1350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hand wash here with garden hose and spray the brakes,wheels.