Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather cleaner and conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 08:33 PM
IS250JAZZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather cleaner and conditioner

What is the best leather cleaner and conditioner to buy? Any input or recommendations?
Old 02-26-13, 08:38 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i like leather masters
Old 02-26-13, 08:52 PM
Lestrade
Driver School Candidate

I'm not an expert by any means, but a friend who loves geeking out on detailing sent me this:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ning-care.html

Some interesting points in there, that, as the author states, contradict the marketing from some popular products.
Old 02-26-13, 09:04 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

your best bet would be to go to a local detail shop and ask what they use. I became friends with my detail guy, and he hooked me up with some nice product at cost, wax, wash, polish, leather cleaner/conditioner.

He did tell me, NEVER use armorall wipes, or basically anything that can be bought at a chain store, lol. Use the expensive stuff.
Old 02-26-13, 10:50 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...finitions.html

Also I would advise you to read through the automotive care section. There are several products listed with everyone's experience.

I personally used meguiars leather cleaner/ conditioner
Old 02-26-13, 10:54 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Im pretty sure this will eventually get moved to automotive care section of the forum, but I use zaino products and have gotten multiple compliments on how nice my leather feels and smell. I really love the smell

I use zaino 9 and 10
Old 02-26-13, 11:02 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Lexol for both
Old 02-27-13, 01:00 AM
HAYSTACK
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had good results with Adams polishes. I do not use the cleaner ( has to be diluted) but the conditioner is really nice. Smells just like leather as well.
Old 02-27-13, 05:26 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with Downtuned -- stay away from the cheap big-box store stuff. You're taking care of a luxury vehicle that you paid good money for, with high quality leather, so use real products with a proven track record.

I cast a third vote for Zaino Z9 & Z10 which I've used very successfully for years on everything from ecru to grey to black Lexus and BMW leather. The smell can't be beat and my leather has been like new when I've sold each ride.

As an alternative, last year I started using Leather Masters when I took delivery of my 2013 RX450h with parchment interior. A couple of the folks on this forum recommended it as being the best when it comes to laying down a layer of protectant on the aniline leather that other conditioners don't do. As they said, after 8+ months of use, it's proven to be an easy job to remove the errant blue jeans color transfer that gets onto the edges and bottom of the seats. I'm very happy with the results and have relegated Z9/10 to the leather and synthetic interior surfaces other than the seats (because I just love that smell, I know they work, and the Zaino products are a bit less expensive to boot.)
Old 02-27-13, 05:37 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
I agree with Downtuned -- stay away from the cheap big-box store stuff. You're taking care of a luxury vehicle that you paid good money for, with high quality leather, so use real products with a proven track record.

I cast a third vote for Zaino Z9 & Z10 which I've used very successfully for years on everything from ecru to grey to black Lexus and BMW leather. The smell can't be beat and my leather has been like new when I've sold each ride.

As an alternative, last year I started using Leather Masters when I took delivery of my 2013 RX450h with parchment interior. A couple of the folks on this forum recommended it as being the best when it comes to laying down a layer of protectant on the aniline leather that other conditioners don't do. As they said, after 8+ months of use, it's proven to be an easy job to remove the errant blue jeans color transfer that gets onto the edges and bottom of the seats. I'm very happy with the results and have relegated Z9/10 to the leather and synthetic interior surfaces other than the seats (because I just love that smell, I know they work, and the Zaino products are a bit less expensive to boot.)

can anyone else confirm this?

does this only apply to leather care? or any soap, wax, etc.
Old 02-27-13, 06:06 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ To each their own.

The vast majority of products I use these days (like Zaino and Leather Masters referenced in my post) are not sold at Target, Walmart, AutoZone, etc -- only more specialized dealers such as some of our forum sponsors here. Now, some Meg products and perhaps others people have good luck with are sold at those places, and that's great and was not what I intended to say stay away from in my general comment... but long ago I moved away from using most off-brand products that line the shelves of many "big box stores" for a myriad of reasons, including wanting to use products that I can research more fully, are many times part of "systems" so I don't casue some strange interaction between products or inadvertently remove say the sealant I've applied to my car because of some crazy cheap soap suds I bought in a bottle of who-knows-what that was made in some foreign land, etc...

FWIW, the list of products I use these days are on my personal website here. Good luck to all with the decisions they make on product selection. There are a lot of them out there, and I'm always trying something new too. Many give great results. Some do better for some folks than others do. Application and technique are a big part of the result -- not just the products or tools. The best part is the whole detailing thing is like art -- lots of opinions, lots of options, and what is great for one person may not be for another, but if it works for you, that's perfect!

Last edited by BertL; 02-27-13 at 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-13, 06:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS

There is a fine line between acceptable OTC (over the counter) products and what is considered "professional" products.

Many of the products found in stores like Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts (etc etc) can turn out to be a waste of your money (especially when you can get much better products online for similar prices!)... with that being said, there are also a handful of them that are very good, and can/will produce professional quality results.

Brands like Meguiar's and Mothers are common household names because they are found in just about every auto parts store around, but that does not make all of their products mediocre.

Meguiar's makes some amazing products that most all professional detailers use on a regular basis.

Keep this in mind - the majority of consumers who want to "clean" their car are going to go to the store, and look for something that says "this is for washing!" and something that says "this is for drying!" and something else that says "this is for waxing!" and something else that says "hey, use this to remove scratches!"... they are then going to take it home and rub this stuff all over their cars without truly knowing what they are trying to accomplish, or the proper techniques for doing so... with that mentality, many OTC products are geared towards the consumer that does not know any better, therefore they must be safe to use - ie not damage the car even when used improperly, so it's not that the products are bad - it is that they have been engineered to be safe for uneducated car owners. The best thing anyone can do before buying anything for their vehicle is to do your research! Forums like AutogeekOnline, Autopia, and Detailing Bliss are littered with product reviews - even for the stuff you can find on the shelf at Autozone. If you don't see a review for what you are looking for... make a thread! Chances are someone has tried it at some point and can chime in. These "what are the best..........." threads are just a waste of time because there are TONS of amazing products for every aspect of detailing out there!
Old 02-27-13, 12:58 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Many of the auto parts store now carry Lexol, Mothers and the complete Meguires line.
Old 02-27-13, 08:09 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS

most cases yes, OTC stuff will not be as good as the stuff you can get online.

Most leather cleaners/conditioners that come off the shelf leave a shiny greasy feeling to the leather which i dont like

and armour all = crap
Old 02-28-13, 08:12 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

get " the good stuff" its not to much more expensive and worth it in the long run. Check out some of the sites of our supporting vendors. A massive amount of good information on there.

Quick Reply: Leather cleaner and conditioner