Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is your paint protected?? Here's an article I wrote to help you decide!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 09:01 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Is your paint protected?? Here's an article I wrote to help you decide!

Whether your car sits outside 24/7 or is a garage queen that only gets driven on the most perfect of days, you need to be certain your paint is protected!

Why does my car need protection?
Your car is exposed to airborne contaminates whether it is being driven or not. Things like bugs, rain (acid rain), bird droppings, and other common corrosive materials can contact your paint and permanently damage it.

Bug guts left to dry on your car will eventually eat into your vehicle's paint, leaving an etching that may only be removed by machine buffing - sometimes these defects are too deep, and will even require repainting.

^Etched bug splatter

Bird droppings contain uric acid that literally eats at your paint, and under the right conditions, can even begin to etch your unprotected paint in as little as 10 minutes! If left for too long, the acid in the droppings will actually eat through your paint, leaving irreparable damage that can only be remedied with a new paint job. See photo below for this extreme example.

^Bird droppings left for too long will permanently ruin your paint!

Even something as simple as water drops left to dry on your paint can leave permanent damage. Given the extremely hard water in the midwest, we are especially vulnerable to this sort of damage. The large amounts of minerals found in the rain water here will etch into your paint in a matter of days (sometimes less!), especially under the hot summer sun. It is best to wash your car as soon as possible to remove water spots and reduce this risk of permanent spotting.

^Etched Water Spots - removed via machine compound & polish.

How do I know if my vehicle is already protected?
A very easy way to tell if your car has a protective layer on it is to examine how water reacts as it contacts your paint. If, while washing your car or during a rain shower, you notice that the water is forming nice droplets (or beads) and easily rolls off of your car, then you are protected! On the other hand, if you notice the water simply spreads out and is somewhat resistant to sheet off of your vehicle, then you are not protected!

^This is a sign of very well protected paint. The water forms nice, tight beads that are more spherical in shape.

^This is a sign of protection that is wearing down. The water still attempts to bead on the paint, but you can tell the water is not as resistant to flow.

^Unprotected Paint: This car was sprayed with a stream of water (to simulate rain), and you can see that the water does not bead at all. The water spreads out, and does not flow off of the paint very easily. This is a sign that there is no protection (wax or sealant) on this paint.

How do I protect my paint?
This is the easy part. A simple layer of wax or sealant will help to protect your paint from the elements. Wax and Sealant create an extremely thin protective barrier between your paint and the elements. This protective barrier will help to reduce water etching, bug splatter, bird droppings, etc - however these contaminates should still be removed as soon as possible, as they can still eat through the wax and find their way onto your paint.

Sealant vs. Wax
Synthetic Sealants - Made up of synthetic polymers which bond to your paint to create a strong, durable layer of protection. Synthetic Sealants typically provide 3-6 months of protection. They also enhance the look of your vehicle by providing a glossy, smooth looking finish.

Carnauba Wax - Waxes typically offer stronger protection compared to a sealant, however they lack in durability. You can expect 3-8 weeks of protection from a wax, which is considerably less than the duration of protection of a sealant. Waxes will often bead water better than sealants, making your vehicle easier to maintain, and will also greatly enhance the look of your finish. Leaving a wet, glossy appearance.

*Both sealants and waxes will create a slicker feel to your paint, making it much easier to clean your car! You'll be amazed at how much simpler it is to remove dirt and contaminates from a regularly waxed vehicle!

**The best method of protection is to first apply a layer of sealant, and then top it with a layer of wax! This way, you get the durability of a sealant and the added protection and beauty of a wax!

^Notice how the water beads up and flows effortlessly off of the hood of this car. *It does not leave any streaks behind, and leaves the surface totally clean. *This is a properly protected surface!

I don't have time to wax my car so often - what else can I do?
Many people find that they do not have the time to keep up with the routine maintenance of protecting their paint. Luckily, there are other options that require much less work. Permanent protective coatings are becoming increasingly popular among car owners. These coatings provide a layer of protection that will last years - not weeks or months! We use Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 - a ceramic clear coat and 22ple - a silica based clear coat, that are both resistant to scratching and chemical etching.

A few Wax/Sealant Product Recommendations
*these are only my personal opinions, there are many other great products out there!

Sealants:
  • Sonax Polymer Net Shield
  • Menzerna Power Lock
  • Black Fire Wet Diamond (Looks amazing on darker colors!)

Waxes:
  • Chemical Guy's Pete's 53 (great budget friendly wax)
  • Pinnacle Souveran (Great on all colors, but exceptional on darker colors!)
  • P21S 100% Carnauba Wax (Great Value Wax! Looks great, too.)

Thanks for reading!

Questions and Comments greatly appreciated!

**this is for informational purposes only, and is not meant to be a form of any advertisement at all. thank you**

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 10-17-13 at 07:42 AM. Reason: added "Product Recommendations"
Old 02-15-13, 09:31 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Very nice, thanks for posting.

You know, this type of article is such that, though it's long, it's so interesting and informative that I wished it were much-much longer with more and more information to satisfy my detailing habit.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more....
Old 02-15-13, 09:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by RX469
Very nice, thanks for posting.

You know, this type of article is such that, though it's long, it's so interesting and informative that I wished it were much-much longer with more and more information to satisfy my detailing habit.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more....
I could have kept going for sure, but I figured I would lose a lot of people's interest even at this length.

I'll be sure to do some more write ups as I have time!

Thanks!
Old 02-15-13, 10:03 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice job. Great intro to some key topics for folks. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-15-13, 11:30 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very helpful! The more I read about this stuff the more I want to get into the detailing business.
Old 02-17-13, 07:33 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write-up!

Another sealant for the seriously lazy is Optimum Opti-Seal. Since you only spray it on, spread it evenly, and let it dry with no removal needed. It's not a permanent coating, such as Opti Coat or 22ple; it is just an alternative to other sealants
Old 02-17-13, 07:42 PM
Supremancy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any sealant and wax recommendations? I know I can search but since you went through so much trouble of typing this up, I think you should add that in.
Old 02-18-13, 09:33 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Selants that I use are Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant, which I know is quite popular with many, and Optimum Opti-Seal. Menzerna Power Lock is also well liked and one I plan on getting in the future.

Waxes I'm not a huge collector of waxes, but what I have: Natty's Red, Various Dodo Juice waxes, including Dodo Juice Supernatural and Optimum Car Wax. I do want to try Menzerna Color Lock Caranuba.
Old 02-18-13, 11:35 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I only wax my car no sealant. As a matter of fact i use tech wax 2.0 from meguiars
Old 02-18-13, 12:49 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

1sWt2GS ---- You do know that Tech Wax 2.0 is actually a sealant? It's not a wax and made out of caranuba. It's made out of synthetic polymers.

So much for not using a sealant
Old 02-18-13, 05:08 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by BertL
Nice job. Great intro to some key topics for folks. Thanks for posting.
^Thanks for the compliment! and you're welcome.

Originally Posted by karasha
Great write-up!

Another sealant for the seriously lazy is Optimum Opti-Seal. Since you only spray it on, spread it evenly, and let it dry with no removal needed. It's not a permanent coating, such as Opti Coat or 22ple; it is just an alternative to other sealants
^Thanks! and very true - the "Wipe/Spray on, Walk away" sealants are something I have not personally tried.

Originally Posted by Supremancy
Any sealant and wax recommendations? I know I can search but since you went through so much trouble of typing this up, I think you should add that in.
^Good recommendation! I can update the original post later with some of my personal recommendations, but for now - I really like Chemical Guys Black Light & Hybrid V7 as well as Menzerna Power Lock. Bother are a great value, too!

Selants that I use are Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant, which I know is quite popular with many, and Optimum Opti-Seal. Menzerna Power Lock is also well liked and one I plan on getting in the future.

Waxes I'm not a huge collector of waxes, but what I have: Natty's Red, Various Dodo Juice waxes, including Dodo Juice Supernatural and Optimum Car Wax. I do want to try Menzerna Color Lock Caranuba.
^All of these are great options as well, and are "tried and true" among professionals and enthusiasts alike! Thanks for the help with the recommendations!

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
I only wax my car no sealant. As a matter of fact i use tech wax 2.0 from meguiars
^Karasha already filled you in on the hard truth... but Tech Wax 2.0 is really not a wax at all - completely synthetic.

1sWt2GS ---- You do know that Tech Wax 2.0 is actually a sealant? It's not a wax and made out of caranuba. It's made out of synthetic polymers.

So much for not using a sealant
^This is absolutely correct!
Old 02-18-13, 06:42 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Nice write up. I defiantly caught the detailing bug this last year and stacked up my detailing gear game way up. I've done about a dozen cars in the last 6 months to hone my skills. Just finished my friends 1993 4-door Burgundy Accord yesterday and it had bad hard water, rids, and swirls. Cleaned it up real nice. Mines protected with 2 coats of Wolfgang Fuzion and a coat of Pinnacle Signature Series II. Just to get me by until I do my correction. I did a write up on Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion just to use my Fuzion lol. Just ordered the Black Fire Compound and Polish for my correction on the Lexus. I'm still not sure what I want for my LSP. I've got Wolfgang Fuzion, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Pinnacle Signature Series II, Klasse High Gloss Sealant, & Meguairs Ultimate Wax. Lately Menzerna Power Lock has caught my fancy. So many choices! Whatcha think zmcgovern4?

Last edited by 509IS350; 02-18-13 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-27-13, 07:24 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Nice write up. I defiantly caught the detailing bug this last year and stacked up my detailing gear game way up. I've done about a dozen cars in the last 6 months to hone my skills. Just finished my friends 1993 4-door Burgundy Accord yesterday and it had bad hard water, rids, and swirls. Cleaned it up real nice. Mines protected with 2 coats of Wolfgang Fuzion and a coat of Pinnacle Signature Series II. Just to get me by until I do my correction. I did a write up on Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion just to use my Fuzion lol. Just ordered the Black Fire Compound and Polish for my correction on the Lexus. I'm still not sure what I want for my LSP. I've got Wolfgang Fuzion, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Pinnacle Signature Series II, Klasse High Gloss Sealant, & Meguairs Ultimate Wax. Lately Menzerna Power Lock has caught my fancy. So many choices! Whatcha think zmcgovern4?
Sorry - totally missed this comment.............

I saw your write up with the cleansing lotion + fuzion... you car looks fantastic. Gotta love having a silver car - hides defects really, really well! (Assuming there are defects since you plan to correct the paint? I couldn't see any in the pics )

You've got quite a good list of choices for LSP, unfortunately I'm not too familiar with any of them I'm a big sealant user and haven't gotten around to trying many waxes... my car is coated with 22ple so I don't get to use it as a test bed anymore. I love Menz Power Lock and use it regularly, but If I were you I would lay down a base of Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 and top it with Fuzion, but you can't really go wrong with any of the products you've got! Look forward to seeing some pics once you get her all nice and perfect!
Old 02-27-13, 10:54 AM
swimmer10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write-up zmcgovern4!

I have a question regarding application of 22ple. Can 22ple be applied over a 3m protective film? And would you recommend the 22ple Proglass over the Signature Glass formula for a few dollars more?
Thanks again
Old 02-27-13, 10:59 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

wait so can someone clarify, if im using nxt tech wax 2.0 should i go ahead and "seal it" then follow up with a wax?

then use instant detailer inbetween washes ?

Quick Reply: Is your paint protected?? Here's an article I wrote to help you decide!