Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is your paint protected?? Here's an article I wrote to help you decide!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 10:19 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014IS250
I recently got my 3IS Opti-coated and want to do a first wash. I will be using the two bucket system and want to know what's a good pre-wash solution that forms a lot of foam? I can use a hand action pressure spray to form a good foam layer. Thanks.
Optimum Car Wash Concentrate, CG Mr. Pink, CG Extreme Wash & Wax, CG HoneyDew Snowfoam... my first choice and personal favorite is OCWC.
Old 12-07-13, 12:27 PM
McBrain
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparation for sealant

What is the proper way to prep your car for sealant. My thoughts:

1) Wash car with liquid dawn (to remove any previous waxes). This should be safer than using a "degreaser" - although dawn will break down grease.
2) Clay bar perhaps? For a new car, I assume I can skip this.
3) Shampoo (e.g. Optimum car wash)
4) Dry
5) Apply sealant

For subsequent washes I suspect you then just do steps 3, 4 with possibly a gloss agent or something?
Old 12-09-13, 05:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by McBrain
What is the proper way to prep your car for sealant. My thoughts:

1) Wash car with liquid dawn (to remove any previous waxes). This should be safer than using a "degreaser" - although dawn will break down grease.
2) Clay bar perhaps? For a new car, I assume I can skip this.
3) Shampoo (e.g. Optimum car wash)
4) Dry
5) Apply sealant

For subsequent washes I suspect you then just do steps 3, 4 with possibly a gloss agent or something?
It depends on the current condition of your paint and your expectations. If the vehicle has swirls and scratches, it would also need to be polished.

1) Wash the car. Do not use dawn! Contrary to popular belief, it is not a good product for car washing. If you want a product truly meant to help remove previous wax, check out Chemical Guys Citrus Wash.

2) Do not assume a new car is not decontaminated. I have yet to encounter a new car that does not need at least light decontamination. I use CarPro Iron X to remove bonded Iron contaminates immediately after washing, and then I would use the baggie test to determine if you need to clay.

3) I am not a believer that you need to re-wash after claying, but if you like to do that, then go for it.

4) At this point, you would machine polish the car if needed. (you may need to rewash after polishing)

5) Apply a sealant like Menzerna Power Lock

-Zach
Old 12-24-13, 02:19 AM
sichigo
Driver School Candidate

I just got into this detailing thing. What do you guys think about topping 1 coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant with Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba?
Old 12-24-13, 06:49 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by sichigo
I just got into this detailing thing. What do you guys think about topping 1 coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant with Menzerna Color Lock Carnauba?
I see no real benefit in that. BFWD is a fine sealant on its own.
Old 12-24-13, 02:52 PM
sichigo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip. One last question, any product you recommend for restoring faded exterior trim pieces? for example moonroof trim and the plastic trim piece behind the windshield wipers.
Old 12-29-13, 07:05 PM
Rogarven
Rookie

What a great thread! Thanks , zmcgovern!
Old 12-30-13, 11:55 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sichigo
Thanks for the tip. One last question, any product you recommend for restoring faded exterior trim pieces? for example moonroof trim and the plastic trim piece behind the windshield wipers.
All of the companies that make the silicon-based paint coatings (Optimum, Gtechniq, CarPro, 22ple, etc) either sell a variant of their paint coating as a permanent trim restorer (for instance, Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer and Cquartz DLUX), or recommend their paint coating for use on plastic trim (Opti-Coat for example).

I put some Gtechniq C4 on the plastic trim of my wife's IS250C four months ago and it still has the appearance of new plastic (it was slightly faded before). I haven't applied anything to it since then. This is the first product I've tried that has lasted long to legitimately claim "permanence". Old-style trim restorers showed fading after a month and were gone a month later. I imagine the other coating-based trim restorers work just as well as C4.
Old 01-02-14, 08:29 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^Very good info:

Here are some links to various trim restoring options...

Solution Finish Black Trim Restorer

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer

22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer

Black WOW
Old 01-04-14, 10:55 PM
phungy
Driver

zmcgovern4, I'm picking up the car in about 3 weeks so I've been reading multiple threads.

Here is what I've learned and correct me if I'm wrong:
1) clean car with chemical guys citrus wash
2) Iron X
3) check to see if clay bar is needed
4) opti-coat 2.0
5) sealant/wax not needed but okay to apply

I'm also looking into applying clear bra myself.
Old 01-05-14, 09:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by phungy
zmcgovern4, I'm picking up the car in about 3 weeks so I've been reading multiple threads. Here is what I've learned and correct me if I'm wrong: 1) clean car with chemical guys citrus wash 2) Iron X 3) check to see if clay bar is needed 4) opti-coat 2.0 5) sealant/wax not needed but okay to apply I'm also looking into applying clear bra myself.
First - make sure your dealership knows NOT to touch or prep your vehicle! Be very clear that you do not want them to 'detail' it or even wash it.

Second - your process is a good start, but You will need to machine polish the vehicle after claying, then follow up with CarPro eraser (two or more times depending on the polish you are using). Then you can apply opticoat.

If you are looking to top the coating, I would recommend CarPro Reload or CarPro Hydro2.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 01-05-14 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-26-14, 12:38 PM
AORC11
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting this. I want to get the black fire wet diamond seal.
Old 12-26-14, 12:51 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by AORC11
Thanks for posting this. I want to get the black fire wet diamond seal.
Happy to help