Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Why do we wipe off the wax inbetween waxing

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-13, 11:55 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why do we wipe off the wax inbetween waxing

Last weekend I was waxing my car alongside my friend and he posed an interesting question.

Why do I wipe off the wax in between adding more layers of wax?

I tired to do a search on this forum as well as googling but there was never a straight forward answer. Why do we put wax on, then remove it, and then add another layer of wax. Why don't we just add a layer of wax, wait for it to dry, then add another layer of wax on. Repeat this process till done and only then do you wipe off the wax for that shine. It would theoretically save time and there would still be multiple layers of wax on the car.
Old 02-10-13, 06:25 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not actually "wiping off" or "removing" wax, what you're doing is you're buffing off the residual wax and leaving behind a thin layer of wax. To layer wax properly you need to apply wax, wait the recommended time according to the manufacturer, buff it off and wait for the layer to cure which in most cases is several hours; it really depends on what kind of wax you're using (synthetic, carnauba, etc). After this you repeat the process until you get the desired number of coats.
Old 02-10-13, 02:31 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ this man nailed it
Old 02-10-13, 06:05 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

imagine the mess that would be made by layering wax on top of dried unremoved wax, and then imagine trying to buff it off.
Old 02-10-13, 08:23 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
imagine the mess that would be made by layering wax on top of dried unremoved wax, and then imagine trying to buff it off.
I thought this too, but my friend decided to try the idea and it was actually easier to buff off the wax on his car than my car, which i had been buffing off in between layers.

So you guys are saying we buff off wax in between layers so the layers can cure?
Old 02-10-13, 09:18 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it is apply, remove, re-apply and remove and so on for as many layers as we'd like? How many layers do you guys usually put?
Old 02-10-13, 09:20 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I don't think it is meant to work that way, you would be wasting the product if you just layer wax without buffing in between. If the wax is too difficult to buff away, maybe you didn't let the wax "dry" completely. Personally I use Natty's blue paste wax. I apply the wax and usually wait a few hours; in the mean time I keep busy by cleaning the wheels or applying wax to other panels of the car. Afterwards I buff the car and wait another few hours before adding another layer. Keep in mind the curing process is affected by the climate and the product you're using; so if it is cooler outside, wait longer than the recommended time.
Old 02-11-13, 05:33 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Consider that the solvents in the wax products will redissolve the wax you already applied to the car. Layering wax is typically a myth and only serves to insure complete coverage and not added layers of protection. A few sealants can be layered but waxes, not so much. It is however possible to add a layer of wax over a cured sealant.

If your goal is an increased level of protection and durability, try a coating like OptiCoat 2.0. OC2.0 leaves a layer of protection many, many times thicker than any wax or sealant and is claimed to be permanent, requiring polishing to remove.
Old 02-11-13, 07:37 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i apply one layer of wax, then remove it. if i feel i want to add another layer i will wait until the next day and add another. CG makes a butter wet wax that can be removed right after you apply it you don't have to wait for a cure time. BF makes a midnight sun wax that you can remove right after you apply it. the key is in the prep, and even coverage.