Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

The Protector

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 06:34 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by furqanrauf
thanks guys, I talked to a detailer friend, he said I should be fine if I wax the car with a good quality product, are there any other good quality products for leather protection?
yes, but that is a whole different discussion....There is an entire stickied thread about leather
Old 02-21-13, 08:07 PM
furqanrauf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
yes, but that is a whole different discussion....There is an entire stickied thread about leather
Cool! More research, some people suggested getting a plasty dip as it will cost me around $700 and will protect paint all over but I will lose the beauty of my original color or I get 100% 3M film that can cost me over 2K, any suggestions. Can I go bare and protect the car?
Old 02-22-13, 05:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by furqanrauf
Cool! More research, some people suggested getting a plasty dip as it will cost me around $700 and will protect paint all over but I will lose the beauty of my original color or I get 100% 3M film that can cost me over 2K, any suggestions. Can I go bare and protect the car?
You need to read the entire thread before asking questions... it'll save you some time waiting for answers that have already been answered previously...

1) Do NOT plastidip your entire car - it looks tacky and cheap and will most likely mar your paint upon removal

2) While clear bras are effective means of protection, I do not think a 100% coverage clear bra is worth it

3) YES! You can protect your paint permanently with a coating like Opti-Coat 2.0

I highly recommend option #3 - I have a coating on my vehicle (22ple VX1 Pro) and it is fantastic.

Here is more info on opti-coat:
Originally Posted by www.opti-coat.com
Opti-Coat (Opti-Guard) is a hard wearing, aftermarket, ceramic clear coat for superior resistance to scratching (9H) and chemical etching from environmental impacts. It provides permanent protection for all factory paints, and can also be applied to exterior glass, metal and hard plastic surfaces.

Opti-Coat is not a wax or sealant like other products on the market. It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of Opti-Coat measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, or about 100 times thicker than your typical wax or sealant. Unlike paint protection sealants such as PTFE, Nano Sealants, GlassPlexin that degrade over time and are easily removed through washing with water or chemicals, Opti-Coat does not degrade and cannot be removed by chemicals such as heavy duty truck wash or even caustic degreasers. It is totally resistant to these chemicals and produces a permanent film that is chemically bonded with the factory paint layers. Opti-Coat is effectively the vehicles new outer clear coat. It is far more resistant to chemical etching than factory clear coats and far more resistant than competing paint protection sealants. The 2 micron layer also provides a thick buffer between any damage and the factory paintwork.
^Any good professional detailer will be able to tell you all about opti-coat as well as the various other types of coatings that are on the market today. These coatings will require your vehicle to be completely corrected - meaning compounded and polished to remove all surface defects (ie swirls and scratches) prior to coating. I would expect this type of service to be around $1000 - obviously this may vary depending on how much work your car actually needs, and on the person doing the work. Remember, these coatings are permanent, while a clear bra may not "age" as well as a coating.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask.
Old 02-22-13, 07:10 AM
furqanrauf
Driver School Candidate

I am really sorry, but I did read the whole thread but I was not sure that is why and also every friend of mine was throwing out their ideas which were obviously overwhelming. But I think I know I should look into Opti-Coat. I was not satisfied that standard 3M film covers only part of the car and any street rock can damage the paint. I think I will go with Opti-Coat. Thanks!
Old 03-15-13, 05:53 PM
Luv2run
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
You need to read the entire thread before asking questions... it'll save you some time waiting for answers that have already been answered previously...

1) Do NOT plastidip your entire car - it looks tacky and cheap and will most likely mar your paint upon removal

2) While clear bras are effective means of protection, I do not think a 100% coverage clear bra is worth it

3) YES! You can protect your paint permanently with a coating like Opti-Coat 2.0

I highly recommend option #3 - I have a coating on my vehicle (22ple VX1 Pro) and it is fantastic.

Here is more info on opti-coat:

^Any good professional detailer will be able to tell you all about opti-coat as well as the various other types of coatings that are on the market today. These coatings will require your vehicle to be completely corrected - meaning compounded and polished to remove all surface defects (ie swirls and scratches) prior to coating. I would expect this type of service to be around $1000 - obviously this may vary depending on how much work your car actually needs, and on the person doing the work. Remember, these coatings are permanent, while a clear bra may not "age" as well as a coating.

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask.
WHere do I find someone to do opticoat? I am in upstate ny (syracuse) THANK YOU!!
Old 03-15-13, 09:48 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Check out Detailers Domain. I believe they are in NY. You can see their work posted in this forum. Amazing results every time.