Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leather Seats. How do you treat them?

Old 01-08-13, 08:20 AM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leather Seats. How do you treat them?

What's up Club Lexus. I own a 2011 IS350 F Sport with 13.5k miles on it and the leather has become rather ugly and irritating to the eye. I've been using Lexol as a cleaner and conditioner but I want to try something new that could hopefully reduce the wrinkles and creases. What solutions do you guys have to prevent or reduce the effect? Product wise or detail; either way works :P

Here's how mine look right now on the passenger side...somehow the passenger side looks much worst than the driver's side o

Yes I have looked all over the forum in search of "before and after results" or to hear about experience's with products such as Leatherique but did not have much luck. I apologize if I didn't do enough research and replicating a previous thread.
Old 01-08-13, 08:29 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use this...

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/1952.html

My car is an '07 and the leather looks to have been maintained pretty well, but I use this every other week or so and when people get in my car they talk about how immaculate the leather looks other than the very minor scratches here and there. Smells great too. Good luck!
Old 01-08-13, 09:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I would highly recommend the Leatherique Treatment.

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil
-Best leather care product to restore neglected, faded, hardened leather
-Restores oils and proteins that are naturally found in leather for a soft and supple feel
-Works best when allowed to penetrate leather for up to 48 hours, ideally in the heat <- **important!
-Using a hair drier to heat up the leather surface allows for maximum penetration and best results (****I would recommend leaving the car outside in the sun so that the interior is very warm prior to applying, then allow the car to remain outside once the oil is applied***
-Apply Rejuvenator Oil by massaging the product into the leather with your bare hands
-Must be removed by following up with Leatherique Prestine Clean

Leatherique Prestine Clean
-A premium leather cleaner with light conditioners, perfect for cleaning and maintaining leather
-Restores proteins that are naturally found in leather for a soft and supple feel
-Completely matte finish that has no greasy or oily residue
-Apply to your leather and let sit for 15 - 30 minutes, wipe with a warm damp towel and wipe dry with a second towel
-For maximum results, Prestine Clean is best used after Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil

Feel free to PM with any questions!
Old 01-08-13, 09:20 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

optimum power clean 1:4 ratio to clean
optimum vinyl/leather protectant

edit: this just what i use myself lol

maybe use some lexol if you want heavy conditioning

Last edited by reyoasian; 01-08-13 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 09:31 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^Good choice... OPC is great stuff as well, but it seems like his seats need a bit more than just a good cleaning.
Old 01-08-13, 09:36 AM
yammy
Driver

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^Good choice... OPC is great stuff as well, but it seems like his seats need a bit more than just a good cleaning.
Definitely need more than a good cleaning. I've been using cleaning and conditioning products but the leather is still stretching which is causing the wrinkles and creases. I think I need something that could possibly tighten or shrink the leather. Products or techniques to make it possible would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-08-13, 09:40 AM
yammy
Driver

-Restores oils and proteins that are naturally found in leather for a soft and supple feel
-Works best when allowed to penetrate leather for up to 48 hours, ideally in the heat <- **important!
-Using a hair drier to heat up the leather surface allows for maximum penetration and best results (****I would recommend leaving the car outside in the sun so that the interior is very warm prior to applying, then allow the car to remain outside once the oil is applied***
-Apply Rejuvenator Oil by massaging the product into the leather with your bare hands

-A premium leather cleaner with light conditioners, perfect for cleaning and maintaining leather
-Restores proteins that are naturally found in leather for a soft and supple feel
-Apply to your leather and let sit for 15 - 30 minutes, wipe with a warm damp towel and wipe dry with a second towel
-For maximum results, Prestine Clean is best used after Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil

Thanks for the information! I'll probably order it later on in the week.
Old 01-08-13, 09:48 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my Lexus's have Dark tint, always garaged and i kid you not, i don't do anything to the leather and both vehicles look like day one. I think the tint helps ALOT since it keeps the sun away, and not too many people are in/out of the car.

Aside from that rant, the Leatherique Treatment posted above is definitely the way to go. We've done it on my dad's older Buick and it makes the leather feel like new, soft and smells great.
Old 01-08-13, 09:51 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been using it for 2 years
Old 01-08-13, 10:02 AM
yammy
Driver

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Both my Lexus's have Dark tint, always garaged and i kid you not, i don't do anything to the leather and both vehicles look like day one. I think the tint helps ALOT since it keeps the sun away, and not too many people are in/out of the car.

Aside from that rant, the Leatherique Treatment posted above is definitely the way to go. We've done it on my dad's older Buick and it makes the leather feel like new, soft and smells great.
Ohh. Yeah that might be a factor. I'm always going places so I rarely get to park in the garage.... I plan on getting my windows tinted too and hopefully it'll do wonders
Did the Leatherique Treatment make the Buick's leather look any younger/less like the way mine looks now? (pics above)
Old 01-08-13, 01:40 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Listen to this man.

Please also invest in a good sunshade, tint, and UV protectant to apply to your seats, such as Aerospace 303. Besides dirt/grime, the sun and heat are really what kill your leather, as testimonied by the user who posted that garages his IS. Other uses for Aero303: The dash (helps with our problems of "melting"), interior/exterior plastics, rubber (such as around moulding around the windshield, which particular has the habit of shriveling up into a piece of crap), ect.

For inbetween cleanings, I use Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel if it's particularly grimey. Otherwise I just use the Leatherique Pristine Clean followed by 303Aero.

Last edited by karasha; 01-08-13 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 02:48 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the lexus stuff for awhile since its supposed to be made by the people that manufactured the leather for our seats from what I remember reading..

I did upgrade to "Leather Honey" as a conditioner this past summer and the results are great! Check it out, the only thing that sucks is that it should be applied when its hot out so that it sinks in. If it's winter by you then you won't be able to use it right now. Also, you want to pick up a foam brush to apply it, I used a cloth and it was a bad idea, extra work.
Old 01-08-13, 02:52 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OEM Lexus leather cleaner/conditioner
Old 01-08-13, 05:39 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

there's nothing you can do for the wrinkles... just keep her clean and keep the sun off it. i use Leather Masters to clean my leather.
Old 01-08-13, 06:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by karasha
Listen to this man.

Please also invest in a good sunshade, tint, and UV protectant to apply to your seats, such as Aerospace 303. Besides dirt/grime, the sun and heat are really what kill your leather, as testimonied by the user who posted that garages his IS. Other uses for Aero303: The dash (helps with our problems of "melting"), interior/exterior plastics, rubber (such as around moulding around the windshield, which particular has the habit of shriveling up into a piece of crap), ect.

For inbetween cleanings, I use Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel if it's particularly grimey. Otherwise I just use the Leatherique Pristine Clean followed by 303Aero.
303 is my go to for UV protection as well. It is great stuff. I would highly recommend it as well!

If you want more info on where to find and of this stuff, shoot me a PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leather Seats. How do you treat them?