Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Perforated Leather Care - Most simple regimen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 08:21 PM
kl323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perforated Leather Care - Most simple regimen?

Hey all,

I have a 3 year old IS 350 with perforated black leather. I never cleaned the leather with any products. I mainly used water for spot cleaning and compressed air to blow out the dust that was stuck in the ridge and crevices.

Anyway, I'm looking to do a bit more than that and I'm guessing the general idea is to clean it and add a layer or protectant. I've done a search and some regimen are a bit more involved than others. My leather is actually in great shape with minimal, if any, wrinkles. So would the following suffice?

Wiping it down with a wet cloth, letting it dry, and then adding Meguiar Interior Detailer? I plan on doing the same with the dash. I'm not looking to spend too much on products right now.

Just wanted to ask the experts first.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-13, 04:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The best thing you can do for your leather is ti keep it clean. Using Meg's QID will likely help keep them clean and offers some UV protection. With black leather you probably wouldn't see the dirt and soiling as it builds up over time, yet I would bet that if you did a deep cleaning and wiped up the foamy residue with a white cotton towel that you would be surprised at the amount of dirt that comes up. Dirt is the enemy of leather.
Old 01-02-13, 04:24 AM
abbie27hen
Driver School Candidate

Keeping the interior of your car clean is often the difference between a looked-after vehicle and one that is well-maintained and cared for. Luckily, interior detailing and cleaning your leather seats is easy and doesn't take very long. There are many different cleaners available at your local automotive parts and accessories store. The kind of cleaner you choose depends on what kind of detail you are looking for.
Old 01-06-13, 06:21 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I personally have found that keeping dust/dirt out of the crevices and a weekly/biweekly wipe down with an interior quick detailer is a good start to keep the leather looking like new. I also do a more in depth cleaning at least 2x a year