Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing your car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 05:22 PM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washing your car.

Ok I have had my car for 2 weeks and this Friday past I washed her. It has been very VERY windy lately and the car has gotten pretty dusty. I used a brand new synthetic wash mitt and quality car soap. I used a spray and dry wax and dried with a synthetic chami. Today (she is all dusty again) I noticed very VERY fine scratches in the paint. Should I begin using the 2 bucket method? What can I do different? I don't want to have the pant polished after 6 months. Its a lease but I don't want to drive in a car with ruined paint. Color is Obsidian Black.
Old 12-26-12, 05:54 PM
lemon397
Rookie

I think Obsidian shows this character. I have the same issue with my RX
Old 12-26-12, 06:14 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
Ok I have had my car for 2 weeks and this Friday past I washed her. It has been very VERY windy lately and the car has gotten pretty dusty. I used a brand new synthetic wash mitt and quality car soap. I used a spray and dry wax and dried with a synthetic chami. Today (she is all dusty again) I noticed very VERY fine scratches in the paint. Should I begin using the 2 bucket method? What can I do different? I don't want to have the pant polished after 6 months. Its a lease but I don't want to drive in a car with ruined paint. Color is Obsidian Black.
good luck with that obsidian... i have a 2013 obsidian GS F Sport. it is a PITA to keep scratch and swirl free. it's a full time job, plus unpaid overtime. there's nothing you can do about the dust. just about anything that comes in contact with that obsidian will scratch it. it's a 2 stage coat, not like a starfire pearl which is 3 stage. i use the 2 bucket method with an uber wool wash mitt. i use foam guns (never chami's) and uber drying towel which is plush and very absorbent, or a waffle weave drying towel. anything that causes friction will scratch that obsidian.
Old 12-26-12, 06:34 PM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
good luck with that obsidian... i have a 2013 obsidian GS F Sport. it is a PITA to keep scratch and swirl free. it's a full time job, plus unpaid overtime. there's nothing you can do about the dust. just about anything that comes in contact with that obsidian will scratch it. it's a 2 stage coat, not like a starfire pearl which is 3 stage. i use the 2 bucket method with an uber wool wash mitt. i use foam guns (never chami's) and uber drying towel which is plush and very absorbent, or a waffle weave drying towel. anything that causes friction will scratch that obsidian.
Great. Now I know why I got such a great deal on this color. I wanted the Dark Silver but ended up with this.
Old 12-26-12, 06:43 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great. Now I know why I got such a great deal on this color. I wanted the Dark Silver but ended up with this.
it's beautiful when i detail it and it's clean and shiny. i actually use a semi-permanent coating that lasts 18/24 months. it's supposed to be scratch resistant although i have found a couple already. (the HardBody has been on 6 months already) this is my first and last black car. next time get the silver... or white.
Old 12-27-12, 03:45 AM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
it's beautiful when i detail it and it's clean and shiny. i actually use a semi-permanent coating that lasts 18/24 months. it's supposed to be scratch resistant although i have found a couple already. (the HardBody has been on 6 months already) this is my first and last black car. next time get the silver... or white.
What products do you use? Is it something I can get from Autogeek?
Old 12-27-12, 01:29 PM
rtrider
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm waiting for my order from Zaino Bros to arrive so I can do the first time wash and wax on my week old ES. Silver... I had a black car before and although it looks great when done right, it's impossible to keep the scratches, swirl tracks and dust from showing.

If you're still looking for a good wax product, try www.zainostore.com.
Old 12-28-12, 08:37 AM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

new here,

what is this 'Uber' products you speak of? (this isn't a german board.... uber? LOL. )

and yes I have the obsidian (Black).
Old 12-28-12, 12:39 PM
JerryKK
Driver

What products do you use? Is it something I can get from Autogeek?
We have very hard water here on the California Central Coast (near Santa Barbara) - I got some products from Autogeek to use on my silver 300h. One is a waterless wash concentrate which is fabulous to use. A few of the products I got were: Blackfriar Wet Diamond Waterless Wash - Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.
Old 12-28-12, 03:45 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

I use Adam's detailing products and purchased a porter cable 7424XP! It is a process to wash with dawn, clay, wash again, compound (if needed), polish (removes fine scratches and swirls), and wax. It takes me about 4 - 6 hours. There are others that complete this process and takes about a week! Bottom line, a porter cable is your best friend! I use the 7424XP because it will not burn through your clear or damage your paint! Unless, you start banging your car with it! Oh... and I always use the 2 bucket system and dry my car with a battery operated leaf blower (Black and Decker). Neighbors think I am crazy blow drying my cars but it does help minimize scratches, spider webs, etc! Good Luck!
Old 12-28-12, 08:00 PM
dspcap
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KratosBear
Neighbors think I am crazy blow drying my cars but it does help minimize scratches, spider webs, etc! Good Luck!
Dude, I think you are crazy
Old 12-29-12, 06:07 AM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

I Clay barred my hood once, ONCE on my BMW and swore I would never do that again. I never knew if I was doing it right. I will be buying another bucket. I have an orbital polisher. Nothing like the 7424. I use it to put the wax on and remove it by hand. It looks like rain today so I will try and hit her up tomorrow.
Old 12-29-12, 11:50 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by KratosBear
I use Adam's detailing products and purchased a porter cable 7424XP! Bottom line, a porter cable is your best friend! I use the 7424XP because it will not burn through your clear or damage your paint!
I am a novice at using a polisher but was thinking about getting the Porter 7424XP - can you tell me if it's better to get the velcro backing and which polisher pads you are using?

Thanks
Old 12-29-12, 05:51 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryKK
I am a novice at using a polisher but was thinking about getting the Porter 7424XP - can you tell me if it's better to get the velcro backing and which polisher pads you are using?

Thanks
Hi Jerry,

I use the the velcro pads and this polisher is intended for the novice. I am no expert but after detailing my cars and the rest of my family, I am becoming somewhat of a beginner Nonetheless, go to the Adam's website and watch the videos. They are very helpful and will be able to let you know which color pads you need for detailing. The colors depend on the task you are tryying to accomplish. Black pad = wax, white pad = polish, orange/yellow pad = compound. Hope this helps! Joe
Old 12-29-12, 06:01 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

I Clay barred my hood once, ONCE on my BMW and swore I would never do that again. I never knew if I was doing it right. I will be buying another bucket. I have an orbital polisher. Nothing like the 7424. I use it to put the wax on and remove it by hand. It looks like rain today so I will try and hit her up tomorrow.
Claying your car is the best thing you can do to remove contaminants. You know if you need to clay your car my doing the plastic bag test. After washing your car, simply put your hand in a plastic bag and run it along your hood, roof, etc, and if it feels rough, time to clay. Just remember, when you clay, you remove the wax. And always, use enough detailing spray when claying your car. You know you did it right if your forearms and hands are sore the next day! Just kidding, watch some youtube vids about claying, they will help a lot. Final note, polish gives the shine/depth and wax protects. A lot of people think wax gives the shine but not the case.

Quick Reply: Washing your car.