Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fixing Scratches from Ice Scraper

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 01:52 PM
TimPak86
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Fixing Scratches from Ice Scraper

My friend, who meant well, scraped the ice off of my windows while she was out taking care of hers. She went a little overboard and too it to the rest of my car too!!!! The scratches aren't too bad (I don't think it got past the clear coat), but I can see them and my car is a BRAND NEW 2013 ES 350 (which I am absolutely in love with!) in Nebula Gray Pearl! What can I do to get rid of these scratches?! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

A New Lexus Owner
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (10-28-20)
Old 12-26-12, 02:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TimPak86
My friend, who meant well, scraped the ice off of my windows while she was out taking care of hers. She went a little overboard and too it to the rest of my car too!!!! The scratches aren't too bad (I don't think it got past the clear coat), but I can see them and my car is a BRAND NEW 2013 ES 350 (which I am absolutely in love with!) in Nebula Gray Pearl! What can I do to get rid of these scratches?! HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Thank you!

Sincerely,

A New Lexus Owner
Sorry to hear about your scratches. You might also put this thread down in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum. You'll probably get a lot more input. Good luck
Old 12-26-12, 03:56 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

sounds like a clay/buff and wax job is in your future my friend.
Old 12-26-12, 03:58 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

sounds like a clay/buff and wax job is in your future my friend.
Bingo.
Try waxing the vehicle prior to attempting with the claying. The scratches might just be on the clear. Let us know how it turns out
Old 12-26-12, 05:06 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

what Vroomin350 said... wash, clay (if needed), polish and wax. i still can't believe she used an ice scraper on the paint.
Old 12-29-12, 02:32 AM
ISmak4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch... did she actually use the scraper part or the brush end? Since the weather is that cold that its snowing/ice build up you might want to put wax or some type of protection on it for now since you don't know if it's gone through the clear coat or not unless you're getting it fixed soon.
Old 12-29-12, 12:06 PM
zapa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you just wax it all your going to be doing is filling in the clear coat. Your not actually fixing the scratch. You will have to polish it in order to fix the clear coat.
Old 12-29-12, 01:01 PM
Getrag
Rookie

Originally Posted by zapa
if you just wax it all your going to be doing is filling in the clear coat. Your not actually fixing the scratch. You will have to polish it in order to fix the clear coat.
Bingo.

A wax over a scratch won't do much.

OP, just make sure you use a very light abrasive polish.

I suggest P21S Paintwork Cleanser (click on the pics to links for more information):

The old adage is always start with the least aggressive product before moving onto something more abrasive.

After a polish, I suggest you use a hand glaze on the area before applying a wax.

Best of luck.
Old 12-29-12, 01:04 PM
ISmak4
Driver

I'm NOT saying wax will fix it, im saying that wax with protect it until he decides to get it fix, assuming that it has gone through some of the clear coat just so it does not damage the exterior more.
Old 01-14-13, 10:57 AM
TimPak86
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the tips! I took it to the dealer and they said an exterior detail job should do it. I was told to wait until the winter season is over and then do it. Luckily I have a free one in the bank! It's still sooooo painful to look at everytime I get in my car
Old 01-18-13, 08:42 AM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd stay away from dealer "detailers" if I were you :/
Old 01-21-13, 08:51 AM
TimPak86
Driver School Candidate

Really? Why is that, jw669?
Old 01-21-13, 08:59 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

^^Because, they aren't really trust worthy with cleaning you car. Personally, it's something I'd pass up. Having the dealer detail my car that is. Though, it really depends on the dealer...
Old 01-21-13, 12:17 PM
mat305
Driver School Candidate

I have had different results with different dealers. I found that a dealer in pittsburgh just runs your car through a generic car wash (not hand washed).

Needless to say since then I tell them dont wash the car when i take it in for service.
Old 10-28-20, 07:22 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I did this as well like a dumbass

I did this and felt so stupid when i found them scuff marks today)): i literally wanted to cry.. i was looking online and found that whitening toothpaste is good for these minor scuffs. I tried it and it actually worked 100%!! It took very little effort, just a tiny dab of toothpaste, on a squeezed out warm cotton cloth. I read it takes a little bit of the clearcoat away, but i had waxed the car a couple weeks ago before the ice scraper incident.. i have learned my lesson at least. I have owned beater cars b4 my lexus and never noticed the scuffs, but now i know.

Quick Reply: Fixing Scratches from Ice Scraper