Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

whats the best way to clean interior windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-12, 07:17 PM
jmhenrie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question whats the best way to clean interior windows

the sun finally came out today and i noticed a foggy film on the interior front wndsheild. tried using windex to clean it off with no luck. So whats the proper way to clean glass? and where does this film come from. is there a better product to use and how can i prevent this from happening? my rx is only a month old.
thanks mike
Old 12-02-12, 08:11 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I wouldn't use Windex, especially if there was tint installed. I use Stoner's Invisible Glass. It's tint safe and it has worked well for me over the years. I prefer the aerosol can version.
Old 12-13-12, 10:13 AM
gs4thirty
Rookie

x2 on Invisible Glass
Old 12-13-12, 11:35 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

invisible glass here as well.
Old 12-16-12, 08:51 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i use spraytech glass cleaner. Sold at walmart and it does the job exceedingly well.
Old 12-16-12, 11:33 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

I use invisible glass as well. it's important to use ammonia free glass cleaners to prevent discoloring your tints.
Old 12-24-12, 08:06 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Invisible Glass is what I use and what I convinced my work to purchase for their cars. Its the only thing that makes the windows streak free after wiping and stay that way for quite some time
Old 01-01-13, 10:00 AM
Bluv
Rookie

Invisible glass
Old 01-01-13, 08:41 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used water on a towel since 1996
Old 01-04-13, 07:42 AM
RickL87
Driver School Candidate

where do all you guys buy invisible glass? Ive used a few different brands of window cleaner spray and they all leave streaks. I first spray the product directly on the window, wipe it with a microfiber towel, followed by a second wipe down with a second towel and it still has streaks. :/
Old 01-04-13, 08:40 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

IG is good, but you have to spray the cleaner on the towel not directly on the glass. wipe and turn over to dry side and wipe off any residue. that's just me.
Old 01-08-13, 10:49 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Basic rule of doing windows is to apply aerosols to a towel or medium directly, not spray on surface since it'll probably hit the surface then spread in the air to areas you don't want
Old 01-11-13, 10:51 AM
NCHybrid
Driver School Candidate

Another vote for Invisible Glass.
Old 01-12-13, 06:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

You ask where the film comes from... It is the evaporation and outgassing of VOC from the leather, carpeting, vinyl and any cleaners/treatments you may have applied. These find their way onto the glass. I would suggest using products that are non-oily and that dry fully. For general maintenance of vinyl, leather and plastic, I use Meg's Quik Interior Detailer and I have no film deposits migrating to the glass.

Glass cleaning is often challenging. You need to use a product that will completely remove the film and not leave anything behind that can cause streaking.

I use Megs D-line Glass Cleaner Concentrate (D120). IG and Sprayway are also pretty good. I've also found that you can apply a thin coat of Meg's Synthetic X-press Spray Wax (D156) a.k.a. Utimate Quik Wax, to the interior glass to improve the ease of cleaning the glass going forward. It also leaves no streaks.

When cleaning glass I use several microfiber towels. If the dry towel drags, the glass is not completely clean. This likely will cause lint and or streaks to be visible. The final wipe with a dry MF with light pressure should find the towel just slipping across the glass. The glass should be cleaned when it is cool and in the shade.

I also find it best to use a dedicated set of MF towels for glass. That way I don't have any possible contamination from using towels that were used to remove wax or sealant.

How good does this approach work? I haven't had to clean my interior glass since October, when I did the last full detail.
Old 01-13-13, 08:43 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Oddly enough I've been playing with the idea of shaving cream to see if it helps against the fog "sticking" to the windshield. My theory sorta follows how scuba divers will either use this or their own spit to prevent fogging when going under. Unfortunately its been colder than normal so I haven't been able to test it. I suspect it'll be about the same results as Jim has with applying a wax on of course

Quick Reply: whats the best way to clean interior windows