Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Applied 22ple VX1 Pro Coating: Scratch Resistant, Semi-Permanent, Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-12, 10:52 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Applied 22ple VX1 Pro Coating: Scratch Resistant, Semi-Permanent, Paint Protection

I took Friday off of work and was able to complete my weekend detailing customer's car then, so I decided to make my car the weekend project.

I bought this car back in June - it was a 1 owner lease vehicle and was in overall good shape. I did a full paint correction shortly after I bought it, and it still looked great. I was overdue for a new layer of sealant and was very intrigued by this new 22ple VX1 Pro (silica/glass) coating. I figured it would be a great test to apply it now and see how it holds up through the upcoming Midwest winter. It claims about 2 years _18-24 mos.) of protection, so I'm very hopeful that it will still be perfect after the winter months.

22ple VX1 Pro Glass coating boasts "an extremely strong protective coating that will leave an incredible layer of gloss simultaneously". Well, they were right about the gloss - no we'll just have to see about the protection. With our relatively soft Lexus clear coat, I'm hoping this lives up to it's claim of being very scratch resistant as well.

The application of this product was a breeze - far easier than I had anticipated. Simply pour a small amount onto a foam applicator, then apply to a section of the car using straight line motions, wait 3-5 minutes, and it buffs off easier than any product I've ever used. It took me about an hour to coat my entire car. If this product lives up to it's durability claims, then this is truly a game changer in the detailing world. With such ease of use, I can't imagine ever going through the struggles of maintaining my paint any other way.

While I am aware that there are similar products out there, it seems everyone has been agreeing that this is by far the easiest to work with.

Process
Wash: ONR
Dry: DI Waffle Weave Microfiber
Clay: DI Fine Grade Clay
Polish (everything except roof): M205 on LC Crimson (some spots with LC Black first) via PC7424XP
Polish (roof): M105 on Surbuf, M205 on LC Black, M205 on LC Crimson via PC7424XP
Protection: 22ple VX1 Pro Glass Coating (30mL - only used about 70%)
**After waiting 8 hours, I applied a second coat to the hood, roof, and trunk.

*Note: Wheels & Tires were not cleaned at this time*

Detail Duration: 8 hours

Before

^So the paint was still in great shape as it had been fully corrected only 5 months ago. It was still extremely glossy

^The paint still had great clarity and depth to it

^ I had to really hunt, but I found a few spots with minor swirls

^Shiny Paint... about to be even shinier

^ Overdue for a new layer of protection anyways

During

^Hood Before

^Hood After

^Trunk Before

^Trunk After

^The roof was in bad shape. It had severely etched water spots that I was unable to correct previously. I made a pretty good improvement this time... Test spot before

^Test Spot After

^50/50 shot of roof. Uncorrected (left) vs. Corrected (right)

^50/50 shot of roof. Uncorrected (left) vs. Corrected (right)

After

^Has a nice wet look to it

^Very pleased

^My favorite angle

^Like a mirror

^Roof looks great

^Trunk is perfect

^Hi!

***I did a water beading test on the hood after the 22ple had cured for 9 hours - it was incredible, the water beaded and rolled right off the hood - very impressed so far!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-12-12 at 11:37 AM. Reason: removed promotional links
Old 11-12-12, 11:28 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Some would be jealous with the BEFORE pics! But wow, those AFTER pics are simply amazing. Wish I could get my bird etchings out of my hood/top.
Old 11-12-12, 11:40 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does this compare to opti-coat?
Old 11-12-12, 12:24 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive. OP did a great job. Paint looks great.
Old 11-12-12, 12:41 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by OPTiK
How does this compare to opti-coat?
That is the big question so far. I have not used OC 2.0 therefore I cannot speak from experience, however the general idea is that 22ple is superior in that it is incredibly easy to use. I understand that OC 2.0 can be finicky to apply and remove without streaks or other minor blemishes... this 22ple pro coating was amazing to work with. As easy, or easier, than any traditional wax or sealant I've ever used.
Old 11-12-12, 05:33 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My IS has water etchings in the paint so bad I'm going to have to get the car repainted! I wish the previous owner would have taken care of their paint as well as some of us to! Looks good!
Old 11-12-12, 05:55 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jakers95
My IS has water etchings in the paint so bad I'm going to have to get the car repainted! I wish the previous owner would have taken care of their paint as well as some of us to! Looks good!
Repaint sounds over kill for water etching. Go hire a professional detailer instead!

@OP, Car looks great!
Old 11-12-12, 05:56 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much was this? I've used Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 which is about $70 here, so just want to compare the price-performance of the 2.

Thanks
Old 11-12-12, 06:30 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great too bad your so far away.....
Old 11-12-12, 06:46 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's pretty impressive. Job well done.
Old 11-12-12, 07:07 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=tedward88;7595283]Repaint sounds over kill for water etching. Go hire a professional detailer instead!

I know it does! It was keyed so half of the car is going to have fresh paint. So I might as well get it all taken care of.
Old 11-12-12, 07:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by reyoasian
How much was this? I've used Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 which is about $70 here, so just want to compare the price-performance of the 2.

Thanks
$85 for the 30mL size which was recommended for a full size car. I used about 75% of a bottle after applying 2 coats to the horizontal surfaces.

I got mine from detailedimage.com
Old 11-12-12, 07:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

pretty clean, post this in the Detail forum
Old 11-13-12, 06:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
pretty clean, post this in the Detail forum
Detail forum never gets any attention, figured some more people may like to know about this type of protection for our cars - given that the Lexus paint is quite soft and easy to scratch/swirl.
Old 11-13-12, 08:18 PM
maniacbob
Driver

Nice. Good job. I might wait until winter is over to get a detail.

Quick Reply: Applied 22ple VX1 Pro Coating: Scratch Resistant, Semi-Permanent, Paint Protection