Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Applied 22ple VX1 Pro Coating: Scratch Resistant, Semi-Permanent, Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 10:14 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I know there are a lot of claims of "this caused this" in the detailing world, but I would be interested to know what sort of proof lead to the conclusion that Eraser was the cause of the coating failure. Just seems odd to me, but I am not a Gtechniq user so I guess it is a non-issue to me.
It wasn't a controlled test by any means, just anecdotal evidence. When I first received EXOv2 I had CarPro Eraser but not Gtechniq Panel Wipe, and after reading the post that reported problems when using Eraser as a panel wipe, I decided to order the Gtechniq panel wipe and put off detailing my car for a week (takes seven days to ship stuff from FL to CA via UPS ground). I didn't want to spend all that time polishing the car and then have to do it all over again in case there were bonding problems.

Prior to this I had read a review comparing CarPro Eraser to Gtechniq Panel Wipe, and the claim was that Gtechniq cleaned off some streaking that remained after wiping down with Eraser. The reviewer went on to recommend following a wipe down of Eraser with a wipe down of Gtechniq Panel Wipe. That sounded crazy to me.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...anel-wipe.html
Old 12-05-13, 12:38 AM
FMYLIFE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Coating

How difficult would it be to apply 22ple myself to some brand new Wedssport Wheels in blue light chrome?

Should I apply before or after tire mounting?

The ISF is notorious for brake dust, so I'd like to protect them as best as possible to maintain them over the long haul.

As far as the paint is concerned, I'm considering it as well. I had a professional paint correction done about 2 months ago with Swissvax wax applied afterward.

My concerns with coating the paint are as follows
  • Could I coat the PPF covering the entire front end with no ill effects?
  • Would it be a waste of the swissvax application (i.e. should I wait a few more months)?
Old 12-05-13, 06:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by FMYLIFE
How difficult would it be to apply 22ple myself to some brand new Wedssport Wheels in blue light chrome?

Should I apply before or after tire mounting?

The ISF is notorious for brake dust, so I'd like to protect them as best as possible to maintain them over the long haul.
For your wheels, you would need 22ple VM1 Rim and Metal Coating.

This product is simple to apply - especially if your wheels are truly brand new and do not require much polishing or prep work. I would apply all protection BEFORE tire mounting so you can easily clean, prep, and coat all surfaces (ie faces and barrels).

Originally Posted by FMYLIFE
As far as the paint is concerned, I'm considering it as well. I had a professional paint correction done about 2 months ago with Swissvax wax applied afterward.

My concerns with coating the paint are as follows
  • Could I coat the PPF covering the entire front end with no ill effects?
  • Would it be a waste of the swissvax application (i.e. should I wait a few more months)?
You would not simply be able to coat the car at this point. The surface needs to be surgically clean before the coating can be installed. This means any traces of wax or polish need to be removed from the surface. The surface would need to be thoroughly cleaned, decontaminated, and then lightly polished to be sure that all previous wax has been removed. At this point, the paint needs to be prepped with Isopropyl Alcohol and then the coating can be applied.

It depends on the type of clear film you have, but the majority of reports that I have seen state that you can indeed apply a coating on top of the clear bra without any negative side effects.

Please let me know if you've got any more questions

-Zach
Old 12-05-13, 08:12 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice job man.
Striving to have my car as nice as yours one day.