Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Light Dust after a wash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 12:05 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bclexus
The only positive thing about waterless washing is that it saves water, but my guess is that people here care far more about their car's finish than they do saving water.
You need to realize that sometimes people don't have a choice.

Some municipalities forbid using a hose to wash your car. We're not at that point here in the SF Bay Area, but we're entering the fourth year of severe drought, and the Sierra snowpack is at around 20% of normal, so I would not be surprised if we see that restriction this summer. I used my foam cannon and pressure washer on my wife's IS convertible this weekend and still got a lot of dirty looks, even though I probably used less than six gallons of water total (less than I would with a waterless wash).

Some people live in condos or other MDUs where there is no hose or car wash area.
Old 03-02-15, 01:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
You need to realize that sometimes people don't have a choice.

Some municipalities forbid using a hose to wash your car. We're not at that point here in the SF Bay Area, but we're entering the fourth year of severe drought, and the Sierra snowpack is at around 20% of normal, so I would not be surprised if we see that restriction this summer. I used my foam cannon and pressure washer on my wife's IS convertible this weekend and still got a lot of dirty looks, even though I probably used less than six gallons of water total (less than I would with a waterless wash).

Some people live in condos or other MDUs where there is no hose or car wash area.
I realize what you say, but that was not the point I was making. That said, whether one has a choice or not - if anyone thinks they are not scratching and causing swirls in their finish every time they use a waterless car wash to clean their car, or a QD to remove dusty grit, regardless of how many soft high-quality MF towels are used and regardless of how careful they are in applying as little pressure as possible to wipe away the dirt and grit, then they are sadly mistaken. It may be the only method available to them, but it is obvious that some people are under the impression that a waterless car wash is 'perfectly safe' and does not scratch the finish, which is simply not true...

Last edited by bclexus; 03-02-15 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 07:15 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good video! I subbed to him recently. Yup, it all the depends on the condition. Traditional wash is always best and my favorite. Just got the Reset too. Waiting for it to stop raining!

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I either do rinseless wash which proves to be safe for light dust or even medium dust or wait till some more days to do a full 2 bucket car wash all at once.

Quick detailer, waterelss wash, duster, if used not carefully, can create minor swirls. Been there, done that and I don't want to risk so no more of this.

If you, however, decide to still do waterless wash. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you watch this video on HOW to do it PROPERLY!

Waterless Wash - Part 1 - YouTube
Old 03-03-15, 02:33 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Post #29 is a good read of responses from Dr. G of OPT.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/28895-review-optimum-opti-clean-3.html