Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

new car new paint!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 10:40 AM
smanzanoRN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new car new paint!

Hey guys just curious how should my first car wash be? Im planning on going to a hand car wash/detail place.. should the car wash be with wax or just a plain car handwash? Also what does it mean where dealers say I should get the "new car paint sealant?" My car is a white CT
Old 09-24-12, 02:07 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say get the materials to do it yourself, otherwise find a reputable real detailer. Not those gas station places. I'd wax it straight up since you never know what could happen so its nice to have an added security . As for the new car paint sealant, avoid it. That stuff was never any good to begin with
Old 09-24-12, 06:39 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I'd say get the materials to do it yourself, otherwise find a reputable real detailer. Not those gas station places. I'd wax it straight up since you never know what could happen so its nice to have an added security . As for the new car paint sealant, avoid it. That stuff was never any good to begin with
^ +1,,, do it urself and a no go on the new car paint sealant...
Old 09-25-12, 07:23 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can buy good paint sealant (like optimum Opti-seal, or blackfire etc) and apply it yourself right after washing/claying - these are simple to apply - wipe on, wipe off.
If you choose to go to a good detailer, you can ask them to apply it for you after the wash/clay (just before wax is applied)
Old 09-26-12, 11:42 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Wash and wax it ASAP. If the paint feels grimy or gritty, then use a clay bar after the first wash. The clay will remove any surface contaminants and so on. I say this just because you don't know where the car was parked or door how long before you bought it. Could have been parked under a few trees and so.

The sealant is pretty much garbage. Just buy a recommended wash and wax or quick detailed in between car washes. This is not to be used with dirt on the car just simple light dust..
Old 09-26-12, 02:40 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to keep it as simple as possible, apply an AIO (all in one) (fancy name for cleaner wax) once every six months.

One of the more popular AIO's is BLACKFIRE Total Polish N Seal. This product cleans, polishes and protects in ONE step. It is VERY easy to use and it produces a slick, glossy finish.

BLACKFIRE Total Polish N Seal

Familiarize yourself with proper washing and drying techniques so you don't inflict any swirls or scratches.

Proper Car Washing & Car Drying Techniques
Old 09-26-12, 03:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Just follow the standard detailing procedure. New car paint is no different. It's fully cured by the time you are at the dealership buying a new car, so it's treated in the same fashion as old paint.
Old 09-27-12, 06:41 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by manzanRN
Hey guys just curious how should my first car wash be? Im planning on going to a hand car wash/detail place.. should the car wash be with wax or just a plain car handwash? Also what does it mean where dealers say I should get the "new car paint sealant?" My car is a white CT
The key to making a white vehicle stand out is high gloss and reflection. In the case of a white car I'd recommend a Sealant as they offer a higher degree of reflection. Waxes often darken the paint and on white this is not usually particularly desirable. I'd not opt for the dealer sealant package however. I'd want to do this myself.

If it was my vehicle, I'd wash, clay, polish and seal the vehicle to start it off in the right direction.

Congratulations on your new ride.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-27-12 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 10:51 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The key to making a white vehicle stand out is high gloss and reflection. In the case of a white car I'd recommend a Sealant as they offer a higher degree of reflection. Waxes often darken the paint and on white this is not usually particularly desirable. I'd not opt for the dealer sealant package however. I'd want to do this myself.

If it was my vehicle, I'd wash, clay, polish and seal the vehicle to start it off in the right direction.

Congratulations on your new ride.

I would agree with this, however adding in one more additional wash after the clay before polishing. I'm OCD about clay residue