Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Pads...pads...pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-12, 02:03 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pads...pads...pads

afternoon ladies and gents;

Looking for opinions on new pads, I have tried both CCS pads and one meguires soft buff pad, and honestly like the meguires pad better, doesn't dry out as quickly as the CCS pads do, tends to last longer and seems to work the product better. I would like opinions on which direction I should go? perhaps there is an alternative at a less expensive market price?

thanks
Ryan S.
Old 07-11-12, 10:15 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't used the meg's pads yet. But I have the CCS pads and the hydrotech pads and I tend to like the hydrotech pads more. flat surface and more dense foam that doesn't soak up all your polish.
Old 07-12-12, 03:42 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

My foam pads of predilection for the last ten plus years are Lake County, due to the consistant quality of the foam used and their customer service

I usually recommend CCS pads for a neophyte detailers, many will progress to a flat pad, while others prefer to stick with the CCS foam.

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-12-12 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-12-12, 05:10 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Lake Country offers, by far, the largest selection of foam pads. They are of high and consistent quality, as are the Meguiar's pads.

Another alternative I've now become very fond of is Meg's Microfiber pads. On OEM paint, these pads work much faster than foam and deliver great results. The Microfiber pads are pretty tough and easily outlast my foam pads. They don't get as saturated as foam and are much easier to clean on the fly with just an air gun. I have to say that these MF pads have cut my detailing time by about 25%.

(BTW, Jon, it's Lake Country not Lake County. Lake Country Mfg., is near where I live and is named after the large number of lakes in the area. During the last ice age, the retreating glaciers carved the landscape into thousands of "moraines," while the melting ice created scores of clear spring-fed lakes, the "kettles". It's a beautiful area. (end of travelog, LOL)
Old 07-12-12, 11:12 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

+1 for LC pads!!
Old 07-12-12, 07:19 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i switched from the LC foam pads to the CGMF pads. i like the CGMF pads a lot better.
Old 07-12-12, 10:37 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

I guess I'm one of the few people who love the waffle pads from 3M. Either US or UK variants lol. For budget polishing I do tend to veer towards Lake Country though. Eric @ LC has been great to me ever since I completely destroyed the first "unbreakable" backing plate years ago
Old 07-13-12, 04:20 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Thank you for all the replies!

I'm going to have to try a pack of the MF pads!

Seeing as though no one has really tried the meg's pad I went ahead and bought the 3 pack (cutting, polishing, finishing) I also got collinites liquid sapphire auto wax, Im a big fan of the Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845e and am quite excited to see the Carnauba effects. I will post a review in a week or so once I get a chance to use them.

Cheers
Old 07-16-12, 09:35 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

you'll be happy with the collinite.