Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water spots from sprinklers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 05:12 PM
itsjamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water spots from sprinklers!!!

What up CL!
So I've come across an issues with my car. I park outside and the sprinklers have been set on extremely high!!! (stupid residential area!). Anyway, with the warm weather out here in Cali and my busy schedule, I haven't been able to clean my car and now there are water spots that are set in. Does anyone know of a cheap way to get rid of the spots without having to buff my car?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 06-25-12, 05:13 PM
itsjamin
Driver School Candidate

BTW..I'm new to CL so hello everyone!
Old 06-25-12, 05:14 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cheep way = get some sort of polish a mf pad and get to work
Old 06-25-12, 05:18 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

buy a clay bar...they are pretty cheap
Old 06-25-12, 10:51 PM
adrr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsjamin
What up CL!
So I've come across an issues with my car. I park outside and the sprinklers have been set on extremely high!!! (stupid residential area!). Anyway, with the warm weather out here in Cali and my busy schedule, I haven't been able to clean my car and now there are water spots that are set in. Does anyone know of a cheap way to get rid of the spots without having to buff my car?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!
My car always get sprayed with water. I use Optimum No Rinse to get rid of it, my car has a bunch of sealant on it though. If it doesn't work you need clay and if that no works, you'll have to use a swirl remover.
Old 06-26-12, 02:45 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Water doesn’t leave marks or etch surfaces; it’s the minerals that it contains calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg) and reactivity (heat acting as a catalyst) the spots are actually traces of minerals left on the surface. Alternatively they can be caused by industrial pollution (i.e. acid rain, bird excrement or industrial fallout)

Google “Removing Water (Spots) Marks”
Old 06-29-12, 09:11 PM
itsjamin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the response! Have you guys heard about using distilled vinegar? I'm a little scared to try using that on my Lexus. Where can I find that Clay Bar from? Thanks!
Old 06-30-12, 02:48 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

Default Water Spot Removal

1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner or Duragloss 501)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;

a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
Old 06-30-12, 07:59 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

+1 on using a paint cleaner. That should remove water spots without removing clear. If the water spots are really etched into the clear, than you're going to need to use an abrasive polish to fully remove them and re-level the paint.

I heard many people have success with using regular vinegar on a MF towel. Google it and it will show alot of results, I'm not sure if you would use the vinegar straight out or diluted as I use paint cleaners for water spots and haven't tried vinegar myself.
Old 07-02-12, 10:51 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time, a light polish by hand should be enough to remove the waterspots. I'd definitely try the vinegar method first since you probably already have some in your house. I keep some handy whenever I clean my windows since it works great on the outside