Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Acrylic or Carnauba sealent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-12, 07:41 PM
SJ408sgmIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acrylic or Carnauba sealent?

Anybody know whats a better sealent after claybar? Acrylic sealent like Klasse or Carnauba sealent like Meguiars?
Old 05-22-12, 07:45 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I like Prima Care Care Synthetic Wax.

Apply Amigo to prep the paint and then Epic Synthetic Wax.

GREAT stuff and really easy to apply and remove.
Old 05-23-12, 12:24 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

collinite 845

best bang for Buck no jokes so cheap and easy to use and one of longest lasting

meg sucks, and klasse expensive and hard to use
Old 05-24-12, 03:03 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

acrylic sealant... if you can try and choose another brand other than klasse. the acrylic sealant will protect your car better than a carnuba wax which usually is for a nice glossy shine not to much for protection. or you can apply the acrylic sealant then apply the carnba wax over the sealant which will add more shine and protection.
Old 05-25-12, 01:22 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
collinite 845

best bang for Buck no jokes so cheap and easy to use and one of longest lasting

meg sucks, and klasse expensive and hard to use
+1
actually +10

lol
ive had years of experience with collinute #476
amazing stuff, lasts almost forever and is carnauba based
for something that gives that sort of lust and shine, it is truely amazing how long it lasts
Old 05-25-12, 05:06 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Just a FYI... Meguiar's makes a carnauba wax based product and several sealants. For example, #26 High-Tech Yellow Wax is a pure carnauba wax while their Ultimate Wax and NXT 2.0 are sealants.

The choice of whether to go with a carnauba wax or a sealant is complicated. In general sealants last longer and protect better against most industrial contaminants. They are easy to apply and remove and leave a plasticky or highly reflective look, kind of like being wrapped in plastic wrap, due to the way they reflect light. Carnaubas, OTOH, offer better protection against acidic types of contamination, things like bird droppings, acid rain, etc. They are also easy to apply and remove and offer a deeper warmer gloss, often noticably darkening the color by a shade or two due to the way they refract light. Carnauba's offer stunning depth on darker colors, leaving a black car looking like you could fall into it.

You can also apply a pure carnauba wax over a cured sealant to get better protection, longer life and that warm glow. Keep in mind Carnaubas tend to evaporate in very hot temperatures while sealants do not.

To my eye, some colors look much better with a sealant and others with a carnauba. It's a personal preference.

There are also hybrid products which contain both carnauba and sealants. Meguiar's makes Gold Class Carnauba Plus wax which is such a hybrid.

An example of a pure carnauba wax from Meguiars is #26, High Tech Yellow Wax.

Some sealants from Meguiar's include:
NXT Tech Wax 2.0 and Ultimate Wax in their consumer line, #20 Polymer Sealant and #21 Synthetic Sealant in their professional line, and D157 Synthetic X-Press Wax in their detailer line

I point all this out as Meguiar's likes to call all their consumer line paint protection products a wax. They believe that "Joe consumer" will go to the auto store for a can or bottle of wax and doesn't care to know what's in the can. I believe they're right in that many of my relatives and even some friends are comfortable with waxing their car a couple times year but fear a sealant might be too technical or difficult for them. Their eyes glaze over if I try to explain the difference, LOL.

There is a third category of product called a coating. Some examples are A-Quartz, C-Quartz and Opti-Coat 2.0. Coatings are similar to sealants but provide a permanent coating that is many times thicker than a wax or sealant. They are like a second clear coat. The advantage here is much superior protection for paint. These coatings also can be applied to chrome and stainless trim. They are tough and must be polished off to remove them. Bottom line, better protection for your paint. They also offer this benefit. As your paint becomes marred and swirled, this coating can be polished off and redone. This leaves your paint and clear-coat completely intact. There is no loss of UV protection or gloss due to thinning of the clear coat as swirls are polished out.

Last edited by jfelbab; 05-25-12 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-25-12, 03:16 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
acrylic sealant... if you can try and choose another brand other than klasse. the acrylic sealant will protect your car better than a carnuba wax which usually is for a nice glossy shine not to much for protection. or you can apply the acrylic sealant then apply the carnba wax over the sealant which will add more shine and protection.
Have you had a bad experience with Klass? They make a very good product, unfortunately the current version is not as good/potent as what they had in the past I believe due to environmental regulations/cost. There is a pretty rare product called Jeff Werkstatt that is said to be just like the original Klass AIO, I have JW and it is very good but the sealant is difficult to remove especially if you use too much.

In most cases a sealant will provide much longer protection and will stay on your finish much longer then a carnuba. The exception is Colonite carnubas like 476S which stays on your finish longer and offers better protection then pretty much all sealants. It is excellent and does not cost much. Blackfire is an excellent sealant and easy to work with. Zaino makes an excellent long lasting sealant too.
Old 05-26-12, 07:44 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Have you had a bad experience with Klass? They make a very good product, unfortunately the current version is not as good/potent as what they had in the past I believe due to environmental regulations/cost. There is a pretty rare product called Jeff Werkstatt that is said to be just like the original Klass AIO, I have JW and it is very good but the sealant is difficult to remove especially if you use too much.

In most cases a sealant will provide much longer protection and will stay on your finish much longer then a carnuba. The exception is Colonite carnubas like 476S which stays on your finish longer and offers better protection then pretty much all sealants. It is excellent and does not cost much. Blackfire is an excellent sealant and easy to work with. Zaino makes an excellent long lasting sealant too.
haven't had a bad experience with Klasse. it just didn't cut it for me. i've used Blackfire, Zaino and now i use Chemical Guys, mainly for ease of use and the results are very good IMO. detailed this 2011 ES350 with Zaino, from the shampoo to the wax every chemical on this car is Zaino.
Old 05-29-12, 10:28 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
I like Prima Care Care Synthetic Wax.

Apply Amigo to prep the paint and then Epic Synthetic Wax.

GREAT stuff and really easy to apply and remove.
I also use Prima products, for the same reasons. I would point out that they have recently come out with a new sealer called "Hydro Seal" that is even easier to apply, and seems to last even longer. They have another product called "Banana Gloss" that's sort of an "in between sealer applications" type of product, that actually has carnuba in it. I personally like the deeper, warmer feel carnuba brings to darker paint, but I would NEVER give up the durability and ease of use that synthetics provide.
Old 05-29-12, 09:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Having used Collinite 845 and Super Double coat, I don't get what the hype is. I'm not saying it is a bad product, it's not it is a good product and gives a nice shine. I just don't find it to be any better than many other products I've used. Also the longevity claims, my usage doesn't back them up either, I found that Collinite lasts about the same as others. BTW Collinite Double coat can be very difficult to remove if you let it dry too long.

As for the look of a synthetics, I personally don't like them that much the plastic like effect turns me off but I do like the ease of applying them.
Old 06-06-12, 06:37 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Having used Collinite 845 and Super Double coat, I don't get what the hype is. I'm not saying it is a bad product, it's not it is a good product and gives a nice shine. I just don't find it to be any better than many other products I've used. Also the longevity claims, my usage doesn't back them up either, I found that Collinite lasts about the same as others. BTW Collinite Double coat can be very difficult to remove if you let it dry too long.

As for the look of a synthetics, I personally don't like them that much the plastic like effect turns me off but I do like the ease of applying them.
I don't use 476s because harder to use. I use 845 on a buffer. even by hand, it easily goes on smooth and thin like butter and effortless to buff. if its not lasting very long for u then ur paint is not prepped properly. mine will last 5 months through canadian winter when I 2x layer it, daily driver, garaged only at night. I sometimes treat my baby to a nice coat of zymol just for the shine, usually before a meet.
Old 06-06-12, 06:28 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

476s is actually not too bad if you apply it very thin. i've never had issues removing with just a microfibre.
Old 06-07-12, 10:52 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the solvents in 845 to be a hassle if you don't shake it well enough. Streaking was to be had on black cars. I prefer thin coats of 476 over 845 so I just use 845 on wheels