Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
Old 01-07-15, 04:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Waxing/Exterior Care

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-12, 06:03 PM
phillimt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
There is an detailing section on this forum, that's why there are few threads on exterior care in the 2IS section.

But to answer your question, I tend to use collinate 845 insulator wax for the exterior. I use to use those other fancy-brand-wax containing carnauba, which could run $100+ but I soon realized that they only last about 3 months. My car looked amazing though. Any wax containing a high amount of carnauba will make your car shine like no other.

However as a student, I have severe time restraints (and am extremely lazy haha) so I started to look for products that would last longer. I found collinate 845 to give the longest protection (up to 6 months); the only downside is that it isn't quite that shiny.

The other suggestions in this thread are all pretty good, but depending on your need, you should decide if you want a wax with carnauba or a wax that protects for a long time.
+1 there, I'm also a student...

I didn't notice the detailing section of the forum, my apologies. Thanks for the heads up though! I like the collinate 845 from what I'm seeing, I park in a garage on campus, so an application every 6 might beat one every 3... hard to say..
Old 05-06-12, 10:34 PM
07Lex350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by phillimt
+1 there, I'm also a student...

I didn't notice the detailing section of the forum, my apologies. Thanks for the heads up though! I like the collinate 845 from what I'm seeing, I park in a garage on campus, so an application every 6 might beat one every 3... hard to say..
The one interesting thing about Collinate 845 is that its an old formula, dating to the 30's or 40's? An awkward product that you have to sit in a warm water bath so that the product emulsifies to a liquid. You might want to buy a 10 oz bottle with a tip or nozzle to dispense it as Collinate 845 is just a bottle with a screw on cap from what I remember. Also you might want to check out DetailedImage.com and take a look at the A-Z exterior recommendations.
Old 05-06-12, 11:57 PM
Kauro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Tips for preventing swirls.

Use ONLY Microfiber towels and Wash mits!!!! Get the softest microfiber towels you can find.

NEVER use a household terry towel. Terry cloth scratches...swirls paint.

Use a 2 bucket wash system, soapy wash in one bucket, clean water in the second to rinse was mit.

Use Prima Hydro at EVERY washing. Spritz a panel and wipe dry with your micro. Your dry towels will become slick and glide over your paint while adding a layer of protection. Prima Hydro may be the most AMAZING product ever. Espesially for dark cars. It quickly removes and cleans water spots that start forming as you car starts to dry.

I highly reccomend Prima products!

A new car today needs protection, WAX IT! It's not going to hurt it.
Very interesting! i think i might try this product out!