Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to get rid off this water spot mark ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 08:48 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How to get rid off this water spot mark ??

this is what happened when i got too lazy to wash the car right away after raining hard few months back i can't remove this water mark spot thing. i tried clay bar couple times, still doesnt work.

pls help detail guru !
Old 05-01-12, 11:29 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be very heavy calcium deposits, or potentially etching from the acidity of the rain mixed with our air. You could try a super light polish by hand like Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 and see if that has an effect. Is it fairly smooth or can you feel some texture?
Old 05-02-12, 06:13 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I had what I thought were permanent waterspots on my previous car, after the lawn sprinklers got me in the parking lot at work. I guess that's what I get for parking out in the lower 40, right by the lawn. The sprinklers got the entire hood, and the water beads and the left over calcium deposits baked in the sun all day. Nothing took them off, including light polishes. I never tried rubbing compound because it scares me.

I had a friend (a chemist that works for an oil company) tell me to soak a cloth in vinegar, and put it on the spots for 15 to 30 minutes. Apparently, the vinegar breaks down the calcium deposits. All I know is that it worked. I still had a little more polishing to do, but I got them out before putting on a new coat of sealer.

Last edited by User 41924; 05-02-12 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 10:44 AM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically a washing, vinegar/water solution or a clay bar will not remove the water marks, they only works when it's a light residue on the surface. Unfortunately many water marks actually lightly etch in to the surface and in these instances you'll need a stronger option. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover can be used to remove light etchings that are hard to see or feel. This is a really strong cleaning formula that should be used with care. The more traditional option is to polish that area, starting with a less aggressive polish to a stronger one. I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Meguiar's M205 and move up to the M105 if need be. If that doesn't work you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. With the the help of a buffer you can remove the majority of the surface imperfections from water marks and you'll also remove some of the swirls and oxidation so the entire surface looks like new again. For the glass I would use the Glass Science Glass Scrub, which does a great job of deep cleaning the exterior glass and removing water marks. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Old 05-02-12, 03:32 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Could be very heavy calcium deposits, or potentially etching from the acidity of the rain mixed with our air. You could try a super light polish by hand like Meguiars ScratchX 2.0 and see if that has an effect. Is it fairly smooth or can you feel some texture?
it's fairly smooth actually but u can see it under certain lights. i'll give ScratchX a try then. thx

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I had what I thought were permanent waterspots on my previous car, after the lawn sprinklers got me in the parking lot at work. I guess that's what I get for parking out in the lower 40, right by the lawn. The sprinklers got the entire hood, and the water beads and the left over calcium deposits baked in the sun all day. Nothing took them off, including light polishes. I never tried rubbing compound because it scares me.

I had a friend (a chemist that works for an oil company) tell me to soak a cloth in vinegar, and put it on the spots for 15 to 30 minutes. Apparently, the vinegar breaks down the calcium deposits. All I know is that it worked. I still had a little more polishing to do, but I got them out before putting on a new coat of sealer.
So just drop the soaked cloth in the spot for 15-30 minutes ? i don't need to rub it at all ?

Originally Posted by Greg@DI
I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Meguiar's M205 and move up to the M105 if need be. If that doesn't work you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. With the the help of a buffer you can remove the majority of the surface imperfections from water marks and you'll also remove some of the swirls and oxidation so the entire surface looks like new again. For the glass I would use the Glass Science Glass Scrub, which does a great job of deep cleaning the exterior glass and removing water marks. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Greg, can you direct me what kind Pad I need to get to polish it w/ Meguiar's M205 ? I only have 1 pad that came w/ the polisher.

thanks!!