Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What polish and leather conditioner do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-12, 02:28 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Chris:
I looked at the Meguiar's web page to find out what a "polymer wax" is. That product is not a polymer sealant, it's just a liquid wax, with some fast talk tacked onto the bottle: "Meguiar's proprietary Hydrophobic Polymer Technology reduces surface tension so water beads and rolls off!" ("Fear of water"?)
I suspect they call it a "polymer wax" to give the impression it is a polymer sealant, but it is not. If is has any wax in it at all, it is not going to bond to the paint. The science of the polymer sealant, and how it differs from wax, is explained in some detail at the Zaino site (www.zainostore.com).
I have not been in high school chemistry class for quite a while, but polymer is a word that means, I think, "many parts" (the "poly" part is easy). I think a polymer is just a designation for a complex molecule, and by itself conveys little, so it's not hard for product to carry the word on its label.
Old 04-29-12, 04:39 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The best wax is one you actually use. Personally, I prefer something that is easy on and easy off. Wax on... Wax off.
Old 04-29-12, 06:11 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Chris:
I looked at the Meguiar's web page to find out what a "polymer wax" is. That product is not a polymer sealant, it's just a liquid wax, with some fast talk tacked onto the bottle: "Meguiar's proprietary Hydrophobic Polymer Technology reduces surface tension so water beads and rolls off!" ("Fear of water"?)
I suspect they call it a "polymer wax" to give the impression it is a polymer sealant, but it is not. If is has any wax in it at all, it is not going to bond to the paint. The science of the polymer sealant, and how it differs from wax, is explained in some detail at the Zaino site (www.zainostore.com).
I have not been in high school chemistry class for quite a while, but polymer is a word that means, I think, "many parts" (the "poly" part is easy). I think a polymer is just a designation for a complex molecule, and by itself conveys little, so it's not hard for product to carry the word on its label.
I think you might want to look a little deeper.

Ultimate Wax is, in fact a polymer sealant. This from Meg's site:

Re: Is Ultimate Wax a sealant?
Yes, it is a 100% synthetic formula

Ultimate Wax:
• Our longest lasting protection with amplified reflectivity
• For maximum protection, durability, depth of color & reflectivity
• Meguiar’s® Thin Film technology makes application and wipe-off effortless, even in full sun!
• Meguiar’s® proprietary Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™ reduces surface tension so water beads & rolls right off!
• New synthetic polymers crosslink to form a protective barrier that accurately reflects & amplifies light for incredible depth & mirror-like shine
• Will not turn trim white
• Includes applicator pad and microfiber towel

Meguiar's likes to call it a wax as that is what most people look for when they enter a consumer marketplace.

It is not uncommon to mix both wax and polymers in a product. There are quite a few hybrids out there. Meguiar's Gold Class Plus is one that comes to mind. GC Plus is a blend of carnauba wax and polymers.
Old 04-29-12, 06:43 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

That could well be. But if it has no wax in it, they it should not be called a wax, even if it has some of the same functions as wax. You would not call a box a basket - that would just confuse people. From the above it certainly looks like that product is a polymer sealant and not a wax.
The detail fanatics over at autopia like the polymer sealants and many dislike waxes because of the labor involved and the short life span of a wax job, although some of them will apply wax over a polymer sealant. You cannot, however, put a polymer sealant over a wax, because it will not bond to the paint and will just come off with the wax.
Is this horse dead yet?
Old 04-30-12, 09:53 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used Zaino products for the last 10 years now. I use other products as necessary, such as scratch remover and rubbing compounds. Normally I use 3M or Megs if I cannot get it from Zaino.
Old 04-30-12, 10:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Zymol for car wash, touch up spray wax, leather cleaner, leather moisturizer. Not a detail freak. But been happy with Zymol.
Old 04-30-12, 10:57 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Leather: OEM Lexus leather cleaner + conditioner
Old 04-30-12, 11:24 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

leather masters strong for leather. pretty happy with it.

For polishes, I'm using poorboyss SSR right now but not too fond of the dust it creates. Would like to use menzerna soon.
Old 05-01-12, 11:45 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
As you can see, everyone has a preference and they are all different. Maybe you should check the reviews of these products on Amazon and buy the smallest bottle available to try out.
That is one of the worst things to do since Amazon has a lot of people who don't know what they're talking about. Best thing is to come here and ask and we'll correct/add any info that will be useful
That could well be. But if it has no wax in it, they it should not be called a wax, even if it has some of the same functions as wax. You would not call a box a basket - that would just confuse people. From the above it certainly looks like that product is a polymer sealant and not a wax.
The detail fanatics over at autopia like the polymer sealants and many dislike waxes because of the labor involved and the short life span of a wax job, although some of them will apply wax over a polymer sealant. You cannot, however, put a polymer sealant over a wax, because it will not bond to the paint and will just come off with the wax.
Is this horse dead yet?
One thing Barry Meguiars told me when I talked to him at the 2010 SEMA convention. He said, there is no set definition of wax, sealant, or anything. As a result, anyone and everyone will use Wax in their product if they think it'll sell. I wont comment on why I left Autopia since that doesn't belong here
Old 07-08-12, 03:07 AM
lexusMnl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lexol here
Old 07-08-12, 08:43 AM
teddert2
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For the leather, I use either a mixture of Woolite and water or leatherique.
Old 07-09-12, 03:47 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

There is no such thing as a polymer wax. The polymer sealants bond with the paint at the molecular level. Wax sits atop the paint.
Most waxes contain polymers, they help to bond the wax and also provide 'shine'
Old 07-09-12, 03:49 AM
TOGWT
Rookie

My polsh and leather care products of predilection - Menzerna range and Leather Masters
Old 09-13-12, 08:34 AM
TxTarheel
Rookie

I have been using Zymol cleaner and conditioner on the leather and Meguiar's NX2 Techwax 2.0 on the paint and chrome trim. To remove tree sap or something like that between washings I use Meguiar's Gold Class Quik Detailer. I use Meguiar's carnuba paste wax on the rims.

Am I a noob?
Old 09-13-12, 09:44 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TxTarheel
I have been using Zymol cleaner and conditioner on the leather and Meguiar's NX2 Techwax 2.0 on the paint and chrome trim. To remove tree sap or something like that between washings I use Meguiar's Gold Class Quik Detailer. I use Meguiar's carnuba paste wax on the rims.

Am I a noob?
A couple of observations, and this is all just my opinion...

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax is a superior product to their NXT Tech Wax 2.0. It lasts much longer and looks good much longer. It leaves a slick feel to the paint that NXT doesn't match. Meguiar's states it is their best protecting sealant.

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer (UQD) is a much better performing QD than their GCQD in my estimation.

In between washings, I use the UQD and follow with their Ultimate Quik Wax (UQW) to add a boost to the wax and maintain the slickness. This keeps the paint very slippery and dirt just doesn't get a grip so subsequent cleanup is much easier.

Wheels can get pretty hot and carnauba begins to evaporate at high temperatures (160 degrees) so I'd suggest a sealant might offer better protection for the wheels. I use Ultimate Wax. I don't find that I need to use any wheel cleaner other than car wash soap with this sealant applied to the wheels. Cleaning wheels inside and out and sealing is a difficult chore and most dedicated wheel cleaners will strip that protection in short order. This approach keeps the wheels clean and looking good for a long time.

Another product to consider for both paint and wheels is Opticoat. This is a coating and is permanent. It contains UV inhibiters and acts like another clear coat. To remove it you need to use an abrasive polish. This product also is great on headlight lenses. The drawbacks are that it is expensive and takes a bit of care to apply properly.