Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Thread - Let's see em !

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-12, 08:30 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ZEP! soap, wheel cleaner, tire shine, waxes, etc. And Frank's all purpose cleaner for the leather and door panels
Attached Thumbnails Detailing Thread - Let's see em !-042.jpg   Detailing Thread - Let's see em !-008-2-.jpg  
Old 04-27-12, 03:45 PM
bjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LexusNN, would you agree the technique you use is more important than the arsenal of chemicals you have?
Old 04-28-12, 08:08 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, I agree with that. To me, it doesn't really matter what brands you use. When I'm at school and don't have access to the dealership I just use cheap soap from wal mart.
Old 04-28-12, 09:08 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohn
LexusNN, would you agree the technique you use is more important than the arsenal of chemicals you have?
That's not entirely true.

Technique is extremely important regardless of what product is used, but the reality is, not all products are created equal. There are good bang-for-buck products that will satisfy the majority of detailers and there are very high end products that give far superior results, but are also far more expensive.

If you want to experiment with products, it wouldn't hurt anything (but your wallet) to try inferior products if you don't want to shell out hundreds for waxes, polishes, and so forth. Just make sure the product you are using is SAFE for the job you are using it for. For instance, using just any APC on LF-A leather seats cane be a HUGE mistake and a very costly one. Some APCs are just way too strong and could stain seats or remove the dye from the leather. Then there are APCs that are very effective and very safe like Optimum OPC or P21S TAW that you can use on any surface and not worry about costly mistakes. It's all relative and will depend on the application the product is being used for.

Likewise, don't expect a wax from Walmart to compete with a boutique product or a nano coating that you can only buy from higher end shops on the internet. I've tried a few OTC waxes and they are honestly "crap in a jar" compared to the real deal. The application and removal process is not the same, the looks are not the same, and the durability is definitely not the same. It's not just the technique that matters. Some products are a pain in the *** to work with and some are extremely pleasant. Practice your technique and remember, there are some really high quality products that don't cost an arm and a leg, but will deliver very good results. For example:

Collinite 476S (paste wax)
Collinite 845 (liquid wax)
Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
Meguiars APC or APC+
Meguiars M105 and M205

These are all relatively cheap products, but when used properly, they will give you awesome top notch results.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-12, 10:16 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There are infinite variables in a discussion of waxes, let alone compounds and polishes. My list will vary just with my mood. I've never needed the cutting power of M105 or D300 on my obsidian black, so my list contains many consumer grade products. So referring only to paint work, here is my list of mostly Meguiar's products in no particular order:

Soaps -
Gold Class Wash Shampoo and Conditioner
Ultimate Wash and Wax
Super Soap

Using a mix of Meguiar's and Lake Country pads -
Ultimate Compound
SwirlX Swirl Remover
M205 Professional Ultra Finishing Polish
Ultimate Polish Pre-Wax Glaze

All-in-one -
ColorX Color Restorer
D301 Finishing Wax

Wax or Sealants -
Ultimate Liquid Wax
M26 Hi Tech Yellow
M20 Poly Sealant
Gold Class Carnauba Plus Liquid

Detailers or Maintenance -
Ultimate Quik Detailer
Ultimate Quik Wax
Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere
Old 04-28-12, 08:00 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
If you ever drive up towards the DFW area, there are some good detailers here that should be able to help you get rid of the swirls.
I'll PM you if i ever drive up to DFW. I need to get rid of these swirl marks and light scratches.
Old 04-29-12, 07:25 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That's not entirely true.

Technique is extremely important regardless of what product is used, but the reality is, not all products are created equal. There are good bang-for-buck products that will satisfy the majority of detailers and there are very high end products that give far superior results, but are also far more expensive.

If you want to experiment with products, it wouldn't hurt anything (but your wallet) to try inferior products if you don't want to shell out hundreds for waxes, polishes, and so forth. Just make sure the product you are using is SAFE for the job you are using it for. For instance, using just any APC on LF-A leather seats cane be a HUGE mistake and a very costly one. Some APCs are just way too strong and could stain seats or remove the dye from the leather. Then there are APCs that are very effective and very safe like Optimum OPC or P21S TAW that you can use on any surface and not worry about costly mistakes. It's all relative and will depend on the application the product is being used for.

Likewise, don't expect a wax from Walmart to compete with a boutique product or a nano coating that you can only buy from higher end shops on the internet. I've tried a few OTC waxes and they are honestly "crap in a jar" compared to the real deal. The application and removal process is not the same, the looks are not the same, and the durability is definitely not the same. It's not just the technique that matters. Some products are a pain in the *** to work with and some are extremely pleasant. Practice your technique and remember, there are some really high quality products that don't cost an arm and a leg, but will deliver very good results. For example:

Collinite 476S (paste wax)
Collinite 845 (liquid wax)
Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
Meguiars APC or APC+
Meguiars M105 and M205

These are all relatively cheap products, but when used properly, they will give you awesome top notch results.

Good luck.
very well put. the products i use will cost you but the application, removal and cure times can't be beat and the results are always outstanding.