Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Couple of Quick Detailing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 02:02 PM
Hulk311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Couple of Quick Detailing Questions

I am going to detail my car with this method (posted in the sticky by a moderator)

If you just go with this five step process, I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.

1. Wash with a good car washing soap. (i.e.Meg's Gold Class or NXT Car Wash)
2. Clay the paint, glass and wheels. (Any brand clay kit and lubricant)
3. Clean with a paint cleaner. (Try Meg's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner)
4. Polish with a pure polish or glaze. (Try Meg's Deep Crystal Polish)
5. Wax with your choice of carnauba wax or sealant.

Maintain with regular washing and quick detailer.
My questions:

1) Should steps 1-5 be done once a year? Twice a year?

2) How often should the car be washed regularly? And what steps are included in a basic car wash? Just step 1?

3) How often should I use the quick detailer? In between the regular washes? How often would that be? And what's a good quick detailer?

Thanks for any advice! I have all of my products ready and can't wait to start work on it. How long do you think steps 1-5 will take?

Last edited by Hulk311; 04-09-12 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 05:38 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Most car sealants can last up to 6 months when taken care properly while carauba wax only last up to 2-3 months. Personally I like to polish the car once a year while waxing it 2-3 times per year. Make sure you wax it after claying and polishing, because after step 2-4, all the protection will be gone. But make sure to clay before waxing because you don't want the contaminants to bond into the paint.

2) If you have time, wash it weekly, but it you don't, try to do it bi-weekly. Normally a wash is just step 1. Make sure to use a two bucket system, proper washing soap (Optimum Car Wash is my favorite) and a grit guard if possible, if you want to take it to the next step, use a foam gun/cannon for pre-rinse to get most of the dirt off. Dry the car with a waffle weave drying towel. I personally like to use some spray wax after each wash to boost the existing wax, such as the Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax (you do not have to clay the car if you are using a spray wax).

3) Quick detailers are mostly used to clean off light dust from the car, I personally dont like using them because I feel like I'm putting swirl marks into the car, I only trust a properly washing. But if it's used properly under the right condition, they are great products and a great way to keep the car clean. Many car enthusiasts quick detail their car after every drive, but for me a weekly wash is good enough for me. I prefer the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer.
Old 04-10-12, 05:54 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
I personally like to use some spray wax after each wash to boost the existing wax, such as the Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax (you do not have to clay the car if you are using a spray wax).
If you use spray wax after each wash, do you have to remove this wax the next time you wash? (I use ONR to wash - hence the question).
Old 04-10-12, 07:21 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jj14
If you use spray wax after each wash, do you have to remove this wax the next time you wash? (I use ONR to wash - hence the question).
no, you don't need or want to strip your wax whenever you wash the car. ONR shouldn't strip your wax but go ahead and spray some more on there afterwards anyway. Boosting your main lsp never hurts...

People get into stripping their lsp before their full details which also puzzles me sometimes since all the other steps that follow i.e. claying, iron x, polishing, etc will surely strip their wax anyway...
Old 04-10-12, 07:44 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I usually do a 7 step 3-5x a year. WAY more than nessecary I know, but...
Old 04-10-12, 08:50 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by embolism
no, you don't need or want to strip your wax whenever you wash the car. ONR shouldn't strip your wax but go ahead and spray some more on there afterwards anyway. Boosting your main lsp never hurts...
Thanks
Would you recommend Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax? Or is there another one that you'd recommend that would hopefully last a little longer than a couple of weeks? (I use Opti seal paint sealant every 8 months or so - just looking for something to use in between to give the deep shine - when I do the maintenance washes.)

I read about a bunch of products (dodo juice, Optimum's spray on wax etc) - so I'm thoroughly confused about which one to use!

Spray on wax is certainly much easier to use, but I do have a PC, so can use the regular wax as well if needed.
Old 04-10-12, 08:52 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I usually do a 7 step 3-5x a year. WAY more than nessecary I know, but...
so, umm.... what are the 7 steps?
Old 04-10-12, 08:58 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Wax and 6 beers.
Old 04-10-12, 09:46 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Wax and 6 beers.
I like this plan. Ill give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 04-10-12, 11:05 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Thanks
Would you recommend Meguiars Ultimate Quik wax? Or is there another one that you'd recommend that would hopefully last a little longer than a couple of weeks? (I use Opti seal paint sealant every 8 months or so - just looking for something to use in between to give the deep shine - when I do the maintenance washes.)

I read about a bunch of products (dodo juice, Optimum's spray on wax etc) - so I'm thoroughly confused about which one to use!

Spray on wax is certainly much easier to use, but I do have a PC, so can use the regular wax as well if needed.
Since you are using Opti-Seal, just get their Optimum Spray Wax. It is strong enough to be a stand alone lsp so the combo with OS under it will definitely last you a long time. It's good to stay in the same line as I was just reading about a problem someone is having with streaks on their optiseal when using a different branded quick detailer/spray wax...

It's rare to have incompatibility issues but it does happen sometimes...
Old 04-10-12, 11:28 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

LOL:

1. Wash (2 bucket)
2. Clay
3. Wash again
4. Polish (usually Megs 105, 205, or UC).
5. Glaze (Always Megs #7, havent found a better one for the money).
6. Carnuba Wax (usually Megs 26).
7. Seal (Stuck on Jetseal 109 for the last couple of years. Kind of expensive but I like it).

6, and 7 are reversible, some argue you want to put the wax over the sealant, I have found little/no difference in the shine/longevitiy, so I usually wax, then seal. Jetseal109 lasts up to a year, but I am **** and do it every 3-4 months.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Wax and 6 beers.
Truth.
Originally Posted by greg0126
I like this plan. Ill give it a try and let you guys know how it goes.
Waxfail.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 04-10-12 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-10-12, 12:04 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Since you are using Opti-Seal, just get their Optimum Spray Wax. It is strong enough to be a stand alone lsp so the combo with OS under it will definitely last you a long time. It's good to stay in the same line as I was just reading about a problem someone is having with streaks on their optiseal when using a different branded quick detailer/spray wax...

It's rare to have incompatibility issues but it does happen sometimes...
Ah, I never thought of that... The sad part is that there aren't a whole lot of reviews on optimum products out there (besides on the couple of sites that sell them), so I wasn't sure how good their wax is. I will take your suggestion and try their product though. Thanks

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
LOL:

1. Wash (2 bucket)
2. Clay
3. Wash again
4. Polish (usually Megs 105, 205, or UC).
5. Glaze (Always Megs #7, havent found a better one for the money).
6. Carnuba Wax (usually Megs 26).
7. Seal (Stuck on Jetseal 109 for the last couple of years. Kind of expensive but I like it).

6, and 7 are reversible, some argue you want to put the wax over the sealant, I have found little/no difference in the shine/longevitiy, so I usually wax, then seal. Jetseal109 lasts up to a year, but I am **** and do it every 3-4 months.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-12, 06:39 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

People get into stripping their lsp before their full details which also puzzles me sometimes since all the other steps that follow i.e. claying, iron x, polishing, etc will surely strip their wax anyway...
If the surface isnt properly prepared (remove all contaminants), it may clog up the polishing pads.
Old 04-10-12, 06:42 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Here is a very detailed review comparing the ultimate Quik wax with 3 other popular spray waxes, which includes the optimum spray wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-quik-wax.html
Old 04-11-12, 06:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

FWIW, I buy UQW in gallon jugs. It's known as D156 Synthetic Xpress Spray Wax in Meguiar's Detailer Line. I use it on the entire exterior of the vehicles I detail. This includes wheels, vinyl trim, rubber seals, chrome, stainless steel and glass.

There is a lot to like about this product.
• It doesn't streak
• It can be applied in direct sunlight
• It works on many types of surfaces, paint, vinyl (textured and smooth), chrome, stainless steel and glass
• It doesn't dry white or leave any dust
• It applies and removes in seconds
• It is inexpensive and easily obtained nearly anywhere
• It lasts for several weeks
• It leave the paint feeling very slick which means dirt and bugs don't stick to the paint
• It looks stunning
• It is a great 10 minute wax/sealant refresher after every wash
• It sheds water like RainX

This is just about my favorite Meguiar's product.

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-11-12 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Couple of Quick Detailing Questions