Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Worn area on navigation screen

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 09:49 PM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn area on navigation screen

I just purchased a 2010 Lexus IS250C that is in impeccable condition except for the navigation screen which has some wear of the coating, especially in the lower right corner (where you tap "I agree" on the map display). I've attached a picture. I tried cleaning it with eyeglass cleaner to no avail and will also try a screen cleaner. Does anyone have other ideas for how to deal with this? I'm planning to apply a screen protector to make the screen easier to clean and prevent further damage but would like to get the screen in as good as condition as possible before I apply the protector. Thank you for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Worn area on navigation screen-img-20120326-00103.jpg  
Old 03-27-12, 06:14 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not an expert at this, but if the coating (anti-glare coating I think) is worn off, you really can't "clean" it out - If anything, you'd have to apply something (anti-glare screen protector?) to make it match up with the rest of the screen.

Sorry, wish I knew what would fix this. Maybe other folks who know more will be able to provide more guidance
Old 03-27-12, 09:18 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like have to replace the screen if one really wanted. If one is comfortable in taking stuff apart, there was one forum member who replace a cracked/defective screened by getting a used one off a salvaged car and use it's screen as a replacement. Save some good $ instead of replacing a whole new NAV unit.
Old 03-27-12, 11:51 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Screen shouldnt look like that. I have an 06 GS and my screen doesnt show any wear.

I'd ask the dealership if they would be willing to replace it under warranty.
Old 03-27-12, 01:03 PM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
Screen shouldnt look like that. I have an 06 GS and my screen doesnt show any wear.

I'd ask the dealership if they would be willing to replace it under warranty.
That is impressive you have no wear after 6-7 years! Judging from what I have found online, this seems to be a common problem across many makes (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc).

I am not optimistic the dealer will replace the screen for this as my guess is this is considered normal wear though I could certainly ask. I've read what some people have tried with other makes but was curious if any Lexus owners had success fixing this. And by fixing, I don't mean removing the entire screen.
Old 03-27-12, 01:31 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Depends on it was used. It just looks like heavy use on the NAV from the original owner. If screen protector was used initially, it should of been alrite.
Old 03-27-12, 03:02 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

It looks like they just used their fingernails everytime they touched it.
I havent seen one like this before
Old 03-27-12, 09:04 PM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sango
Depends on it was used. It just looks like heavy use on the NAV from the original owner. If screen protector was used initially, it should of been alrite.
It definitely doesn't look like a screen protector was used. They should be applied to all new navi systems IMHO.
Old 03-27-12, 10:51 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nail usage is a pita. If no one here has a solid answer to remove them, it might be worth a trip to a junkyard with some plastic polish to see if that'll remove it. As it is a touchscreen, it is not advisable to use much pressure. Of course, this is also under the assumption that the material is plastic and not some crazy hybrid material that you can't polish...
Old 03-29-12, 10:40 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Wow thats crazy. I applied a screen protector to mine to avoid this. I'm glad I did.
Old 03-29-12, 10:43 AM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jbjones85
Wow thats crazy. I applied a screen protector to mine to avoid this. I'm glad I did.
That is smart. I'm definitely putting a screen protector on mine. Just hoping to get Lexus to fix it first.
Old 03-29-12, 12:54 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure the OP won't want to hear this, but it sure looks to me like "long fingernail" wear. It's worth a try to ask Lexus to replace the screen as it seems to not wear well, but I'll be interested in their response. Seems a 50/50 shot to me. I've had touch screen nav in my last 3 Lexus, each of which were 7-years old when I sold them, and each had only very very minimal wear -- nothing I would ever complain about -- but then again, No one with nails has done a constant tap-tap-tap on the screens either.

Good luck to the OP in her pursuit with Lexus service!
Old 03-29-12, 01:56 PM
Sango
Pole Position

As for screen protector.

I put a 3M Natural Screen Proctor which is for the iPad and had it cut to size to put on my nav unit. Looks great. Got it from Amazon.
Old 04-10-12, 12:36 PM
Cerulean
Driver School Candidate

I made my third trip to the dealer today (met with SA first time who bumped me to manager for second visit who had me come today to meet with some factory rep), and they are going to replace the navigation system. They can't just replace the screen. She said it was more wear and tear than would be expected for the car age (2010) and mileage (26K). I think it helped that this is our third Lexus, which shows our brand loyalty. She also wanted to know if we typically service our cars at the dealer, which we don't. She said she hoped this would encourage me to do so in the future. I am very pleased and will definitely put a screen protector on the new system as soon as I get it.
Old 04-10-12, 02:34 PM
Sango
Pole Position

That's great news. Most likely the previous owner had some good nails to do that pretty rapidly.

At Lexus they will simply replace the whole NAV system. Technically the screen can be replaced with the right expertise and time. There was a member who replaced their own NAV screen by getting a salvaged one and getting one off there.

Here is the thread which talks about the NAV screen replacement.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...on-screen.html

Quick Reply: Worn area on navigation screen