Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Whats the Best Wax to use

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 03:49 PM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the Best Wax to use

Hello Everyone

What is the best wax to use so i dont have to keep it clear every day.

Thanks
Old 10-18-12, 05:44 PM
mikenice
Driver School Candidate

ive always used zymol on my IS. i hear zaino is good too.
Old 10-18-12, 07:16 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i used to use BF Midnight Sun which is a good wax.
Old 10-18-12, 08:15 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i used to use BF Midnight Sun which is a good wax.
I second BF products. Also Collinite 845 is good... I think it's 845.. Might be 745..
Old 10-19-12, 06:12 AM
organa7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using the Zaino products for 8 years now and love them. So easy to work with and do an amazing job.
Old 10-19-12, 06:56 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The best wax to use is the one you like. If you like it you will use it more often. Ask any 10 detailers what their best wax is and you will get 20 answers.

What are you looking for when you ask what wax is best? Best at protecting, best in appearance, or longest lasting. No one product is best at all three, IMO.

There are waxes (i.e. conventional carnauba or natural waxes), there are sealants that are entirely synthetic, there are hybrids which combine the two and lastly there are coatings. You will also find no official industry wide terms for these products. Meguiar's labels many of their sealants as waxes, for example.

Coatings provide the longest lasting durability and the best protection. Products like C-Quartz and OptiCoat 2.0 are a couple examples of coatings with more products in this category appearing every day. Coatings look pretty good but with all types of protection, looks are subjective. Coatings, at least the three I've used, seem prone to water spotting. If or when you choose to remove a coating you will need an abrasive polish and a DA. You can't remove a coating with an IPA or Dupont Prepsol type of chemical cleaner or body solvent like you can with waxes or sealants.

Sealants offer better protection in many environments (but not all) than natural waxes. Sealants typically deliver a saran wrap or candy coating look on most paint. IMO, sealants look better than carnaubas on lighter colors.

Carnaubas generally offer a deeper darker gloss that I often prefer on darker color paints. Carnaubas, as a group, seldom outlast sealants (Collinite 845 and Meg's #16 being notable exceptions) but do frequently offer better protection against acidic types of contaminants, i.e. bird and bug deposits.

Sealants and waxes leave micron thin coatings that wear away over a few weeks or months. Coatings, OTOH, are thicker, nearly as thick as the clear-coat layer itself and are semi-permanant. They require an abrasive polish to remove them, hence they will protect for years. That's not to say they will look good for years, yet they offer a lot more UV protection than either sealants or waxes.

As far as looks go, most of the stunning looks one sees from a well detailed car comes from proper prep work and not from the wax, sealant or coating used. I've done double blind testing on several occasions that have demonstrated this conclusively. In one case, I did not apply any product after the prep work and none of the judges could tell.
Old 10-19-12, 07:15 AM
unklexus
Rookie

"...Carnaubas generally offer a deeper darker gloss that I often prefer on darker color paints. Carnaubas, as a group, seldom outlast sealants (Collinite 845 and Meg's #16 being notable exceptions) but do frequently offer better protection against acidic types of contaminants, i.e. bird and bug deposits. "

Or try Collinite 476S for even longer protection. But do not even think about doing large areas at a time though, as I can personally confirm that warning is true.
Old 10-19-12, 11:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by organa7
I have been using the Zaino products for 8 years now and love them. So easy to work with and do an amazing job.

12+ years here and love the stuff.
Old 10-20-12, 03:38 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's no reason to labor 10+ hours on detailing your new car. Wash it regularly, 2 or 3 times, a month and use spray wax. Easy one and extremely easy off without stains or powder residues. It may even look better than the typical crappy car washes detailer.

Use spray wax to wipe down the engine bay area, and all over the exterior and plastic parts inside. Chemical Guys V7 and Optimum (Light color car) are my favorite.
Old 10-20-12, 03:53 PM
Kevin85
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikenice
ive always used zymol on my IS. i hear zaino is good too.
I use the same works great.
Old 10-20-12, 04:55 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

i use blackfire wet diamond and have been really happy with it.
Old 10-22-12, 12:35 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Best was is the most expensive one.. why? because its best.

Get a GOOD wax.

search up the venders section for detail stuff and red the desc.. some are formulated for different colors.
Old 10-22-12, 01:43 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find what you like and stick with it. Best is based on opinions after all. I've tried too many to count and thought each had their strengths and weaknesses
Old 11-02-12, 01:05 AM
ryceboy
Driver School Candidate

I use Zymol Titanium and its freakin' awesome!
Old 11-09-12, 07:08 AM
WheezerMF
Driver School Candidate

I'm lazy, and just buy my wash/wax stuff locally.

I've had great results with Maguire's Clay Bar, followed by NXT wax http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...-wax-20-paste/

Over the top, I use Mother's California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer spray http://www.mothers.com/02_products/08224.html I've used this magic potion on my motorcycle for years, and it works wonders at making bug guts easy to get rid of. It's great on clear plastic (headlight lens, M/C faceshield, etc), and interior bits (dash, etc). Plus, it has a cinnamon smell that is easy to live with.

Hmmm... We're expecting >60F this weekend. Maybe I just made plans!!

Quick Reply: Whats the Best Wax to use