Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New car - sealant needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 06:25 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the wheels I would say use the Wolf's Rim Shield
Old 03-15-12, 06:28 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks Philip
Old 03-15-12, 08:59 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
Thanks! Do you have any recommendations on what to seal the wheels with? Or would the same product (paint sealant) work ok for that too?
I'm getting the flaxen interior, so it is a light color. I'll try to pick up the protection cream you suggested.
I've never carried the quik detailer (though I've always rushed for water as soon as I saw bird droppings) - not sure why I didn't just carry the detailer with micro-fiber along with me! Doh!

Pictures, absolutely. I should get it this evening - so I'll get some pictures up this weekend.

Thanks again
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wax, which is really a sealant BTW, on the wheels too. I also use it on the exterior vinyl trim. It doesn't dry white and leaves a long lasting sheen on the trim. One product with multiple uses.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of great products to choose from and what I like may not be what you like. Wax and sealants... there are so many good choices. Just find one that you like and use it often. I like the Meg's UW as it is widely available, works well and is easy on and off. It can be used in direct sunlight and looks good to my eye. Everyone has their favorites.

Leather Master products are harder to find but check with our vendors here who support this forum as several offer it and offer us member discounts as well. I would most strongly suggest using a protectant on light colored leather as once dye transfer happens it is difficult and sometimes impossible to remove. This one simple product will avoid that.
Old 03-15-12, 09:16 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks Jim. (Sadly, I've noticed the dye transfer on my wife's car seats - luckily, I was able to clean it out, but I don't want to go thru' that again - ever) I'll be applying the leather sealant ASAP. Followed by the Wax/sealant.

Appreciate everybody's suggestions and help! (looking at the clock - darn - another 4 hours before I can get my car! lol!)
Old 03-16-12, 12:32 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Just one more question - has anyone used "Optimum Opti-Coat"?
A detailer that I am probably going to get help from mentioned that as an available option - a permanent, 2 micron thick coating.

"Washing being the only maintenance needed after this coating" sounds really appealing - any downsides?
Old 03-16-12, 05:40 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you wanna save some money. find out who does the clear bra for the dealer, then wash, clay and sealant on the car. bring it into the clear bra installer and voila.
Old 03-17-12, 05:18 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jetfire
if you wanna save some money. find out who does the clear bra for the dealer, then wash, clay and sealant on the car. bring it into the clear bra installer and voila.
Agreed. If you are concerned about protecting the paint a sealant will help but you will need to get a clear bra to protect the front from getting rock chips.
Old 03-17-12, 08:47 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks... I did get the clear bra installed before I took delivery of the car (got it cheaper at the dealer than what the local installer was going to charge me - probably because the dealer didn't bring the price of the car down much).
Old 03-19-12, 05:48 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
+1 on menzerna power lock

i only have to use this product twice a year! this stuff lasts ... nuff said
Old 03-19-12, 05:56 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

thanks....
Old 03-22-12, 05:22 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Still waiting on some pictures!
Old 03-22-12, 07:50 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

So sorry about that delay...

These pictures were taking right after Scott (from Scottwax . com) detailed it - wanted to get pictures after it was detailed (wash/clay/polish/sealant), and before the stinking front number plates are put on to ruin the look...

P.S. Don't judge my parking
Attached Thumbnails New car - sealant needed?-gs-front-angle-1.jpg   New car - sealant needed?-gs-front-angle-2.jpg   New car - sealant needed?-gs-rear-angle-1.jpg  

Last edited by jj14; 03-23-12 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 08:14 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Scott used the Optimum no-rinse to wash the car, and then clayed it using an applicator pad (not the regular clay bar). After a little polishing, he sealed it.

I am ordering the no-rinse solution - that seems to be SO much faster than the regular soap/hose method that I used to use earlier (if there is mud on the car, I'll soak that area first with some soap - but the no-rinse looks like the easier way for most scenarios).

I don't think I'm going to wax very often either - the sealant is so easy to apply - no elbow grease required

I will be ordering the Leather Masters sealant for the interior (woolite+water 10:1 mixture for the cleaning)

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and feedback
Old 03-23-12, 10:56 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

http://autogeek.commerce-search.net/...eywords=quartz

C Quartz sealant, #1 option if I had the funds....

It must be properly put on and done very carfully. Youtube to see people's results, it's pretty much a water repellent, imagine how awesome that is
Old 03-23-12, 01:58 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks XxGoKoUxX - Given my lack of experience, I'm fairly sure that I'd mess it up to some extent. So, for now, I'll stick with the ones that are relatively safer (and more forgiving with incorrect application)

Quick Reply: New car - sealant needed?