Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Removing scratches from windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 05:21 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Removing scratches from windshield

I tried searching, didn't see anything very recent on this topic.

I somehow put a few VERY minor but irritating scratches in my windshield ('05 ES330) a few weeks ago when scraping off some ice after a storm. I'm not sure how this plastic scraper did this, I've used it in the past with no issues, but it's in the trash now. The worst scratch is right across the middle of the windshield, right dead center in my line of sight, so I can't ignore it. I can barely feel the scratch if I gently drag a fingernail across it.

What can I use to polish them out? I have a PC 7424 polisher.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-12, 08:14 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try cleaner wax! That takes a lot of grime off when i clean my windshield!
Old 03-07-12, 11:26 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

If you can feel it with your nail, it might mean that it is a legit scratch, not just a scuff. If that is the case, I believe the thing used to remove it was called Cerium Oxide. However, it requires a lot of patience and proper skill to work it correctly. I'd recommend going to a glass polishing place to get it taken care of. This is assuming it is a legit scratch of course (in which any paint polish will have no effect on glass due to it being too hard)
Old 03-13-12, 04:05 AM
mchngun
Driver School Candidate

Yep you need something with Cerium Oxide in it and probably some glass polishing pads for your PC. You can use a normal foam cutting pad but it heats up very quickly which can damage the glass (you can use a mist of water every now and then to cool it though)

I just bought Car Pro Ceriglass.. contains Cerium Oxide
Old 04-26-12, 04:27 AM
ditch2
Driver School Candidate

im too lazy, i just bought a new window
Old 04-26-12, 08:31 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ditch2
im too lazy, i just bought a new window
That's probably the worst decision to make in this sort of situation. From what I have seen, a legit 9/10 glass repair companies or bodyshops don't have the slightest clue on how to PROPERLY remove and re-install a new windshield. 9/10 times, they will cut the paint on the edge to remove the glass and not lay down the proper primer material and in about a year you will have your whole roof rusting.

The best thing to do if you have a repairable front glass is to either polish it yourself with glass cutting pads and something like this:

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html

OR to have a place polish your glass to remove any repairable defects. Replacing the windshield should always be a last resort.
Old 04-26-12, 08:45 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF

I somehow put a few VERY minor but irritating scratches in my windshield ('05 ES330) a few weeks ago when scraping off some ice after a storm. I'm not sure how this plastic scraper did this, I've used it in the past with no issues, but it's in the trash now. The worst scratch is right across the middle of the windshield, right dead center in my line of sight, so I can't ignore it. I can barely feel the scratch if I gently drag a fingernail across it.

Thanks.
if it is a fine scratch,,,, try ZAINO Z12 clear-view glass polish. can be applied by hand or buffer.
Old 04-26-12, 09:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by KLF

Thanks.
If it is a minor scratch or scuff you might be able to get it out with some polish and white or orange pad with your PC. My windshield had something rough I could not get out with washing/claying but I got most of it off with using my PC and Klass AIO. There are special glass polishes and pads you can get for your PC, they are a little pricey and I have never used one. If you can feel the scratch it may be pretty difficult to take out yourself as it is deeper. Glass is also much harder and harder to correct then paint/clearcoat.
Old 04-30-12, 08:30 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That's probably the worst decision to make in this sort of situation. From what I have seen, a legit 9/10 glass repair companies or bodyshops don't have the slightest clue on how to PROPERLY remove and re-install a new windshield. 9/10 times, they will cut the paint on the edge to remove the glass and not lay down the proper primer material and in about a year you will have your whole roof rusting.

The best thing to do if you have a repairable front glass is to either polish it yourself with glass cutting pads and something like this:

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html

OR to have a place polish your glass to remove any repairable defects. Replacing the windshield should always be a last resort.

quick questions, how good is this product for removing stains on the windshield. On the webpage it says it will remove it but I want to know from some one whos tried it as one of my car is suffering from this. It is so bad that I can see very well as i get shadows of stains after my wippers have cleaned off the morning dew.
Old 05-01-12, 11:37 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Define stains. Are you referring to the calcium deposits? If so, it'll work. I use just a normal glass polish (Autoglym version) by hand and it removes the deposits fairly quickly