Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Instrument Cluster Plastic

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 09:27 AM
deadpand4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Plastic

Hello Club Lexus,

So I have a 2016 is350 and the problem right now is that my instrument cluster is a little scratched up because I wipe the plastic with a cloth.
I thought using a micro fiber cloth wouldn't scratch it, boy was I wrong. Well tbh, its not that noticeable until I get sun glare, that is when I can really notice it.
So I was wondering if anyone got the dealership to replace the plastic, or if its even possible or has some tips and tricks to get rid of those small scratches.

Thanks,
Old 08-02-17, 10:07 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by deadpand4
Hello Club Lexus,

So I have a 2016 is350 and the problem right now is that my instrument cluster is a little scratched up because I wipe the plastic with a cloth.
I thought using a micro fiber cloth wouldn't scratch it, boy was I wrong. Well tbh, its not that noticeable until I get sun glare, that is when I can really notice it.
So I was wondering if anyone got the dealership to replace the plastic, or if its even possible or has some tips and tricks to get rid of those small scratches.

Thanks,
I complained to my dealer about the same issue and they replaced it for free as a goodwill gesture. You have to be super careful using very soft microfiber or it'll get scratched. I've been lightly dusting them with a swiffer duster and that seems to do the trick.
Old 08-02-17, 10:10 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I did a quick search and it seems that some people have had luck with their dealership replacing them for free, so I would definitely check with your dealership first. If they aren't willing to do that, the dealership should be able to get you a replacement part. That plastic cover shouldn't be too expensive.
Old 08-02-17, 10:11 AM
anamynous
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I complained to my dealer about the same issue and they replaced it for free as a goodwill gesture. You have to be super careful using very soft microfiber or it'll get scratched. I've been lightly dusting them with a swiffer duster and that seems to do the trick.
And yup, a duster works well to keep scratches away.
Old 08-02-17, 10:15 AM
deadpand4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anamynous
And yup, a duster works well to keep scratches away.
Ya for like computers right?
I guess the only thing I would be worried about that is dust getting on the other side of the plastic. But I think if its sealed it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-02-17, 10:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Ya for like computers right?
I guess the only thing I would be worried about that is dust getting on the other side of the plastic. But I think if its sealed it shouldn't be a problem.
Not sure to what you're referring - definitely don't use a gas duster!

Just get a Swiffer duster, or equivalent. I basically just use Swiffer dusters to clean the dash, etc., except for occasionally needing to use a damp cloth to wipe down the door panels/plastic trim pieces when they get dirty.
Old 08-02-17, 10:51 AM
deadpand4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Not sure to what you're referring - definitely don't use a gas duster!

Just get a Swiffer duster, or equivalent. I basically just use Swiffer dusters to clean the dash, etc., except for occasionally needing to use a damp cloth to wipe down the door panels/plastic trim pieces when they get dirty.
I was referring to dust off, but yes, i will stay away from that because i think it is a gas duster. Can you explain why I shouldn't use a gas duster?
Old 08-02-17, 12:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

I was referring to dust off, but yes, i will stay away from that because i think it is a gas duster. Can you explain why I shouldn't use a gas duster?
I'd say for all the exposed surfaces in the car, something like a Swiffer duster would do fine. I could maybe see using a gas duster for vents and the like, but even then, the Swiffer duster would work just fine. As in - you could do it, but there's honestly no reason to AFAIK. Gas dusters are mainly designed to blow dirt out of very small areas, which is not useful in a car interior for the most part.

Edit: Apparently others in this thread have seen some success with compressed air/gas dusters, so feel free to give it a shot, but I have never found a reason to.

Last edited by arentz07; 08-02-17 at 12:51 PM. Reason: I'm dumb
Old 08-02-17, 12:42 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

For regular maintenance, I'll take a can of compressed air to blow away the dust and bigger particles off the screen. When it comes time to actually clean it, I use a good microfiber towel and Plexus. Plexus will help remove scratches and prevent dust buildup a bit. Great stuff.