Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

what is the best leather cleaner product out there ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 06:54 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Hi jfelbab, which Leather Masters Cleaner should I purchase from Amazon, please? I see they list a Strong Cleaner, Soft Cleaner, and a Nubuck Foaming Cleaner. I'm not sure which one to get. Thank you.
I use the strong cleaner and mix it 50/50 with hot water for al but the most soiled leather.
Old 05-08-16, 07:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I use the strong cleaner and mix it 50/50 with hot water for al but the most soiled leather.
Thank you, jfelbab. I placed my order for the strong cleaner and will dilute it as you recommended. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-16, 04:50 PM
MyLS460
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using the Lexus brand leather cleaner (picture attached) and it quickly cleans practically any stains. I would then apply the Lexus brand leather "conditioner" and the seats in my SC430 (46K miles with the light ecru/tan leather) look, feel practically new. These also leave a new car smell (I don't like Lexol - greasy without the new car smell)

Jim (jfelbab), any thoughts on how the Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and the Leather Masters Leather Protection Cream compare to the Lexus brand "equivalents"? Does the cleaner work as fast? Thanks.

Old 05-14-16, 05:17 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS460
I have been using the Lexus brand leather cleaner (picture attached) and it quickly cleans practically any stains. I would then apply the Lexus brand leather "conditioner" and the seats in my SC430 (46K miles with the light ecru/tan leather) look, feel practically new. These also leave a new car smell (I don't like Lexol - greasy without the new car smell)

Jim (jfelbab), any thoughts on how the Leather Masters Strong Cleaner and the Leather Masters Leather Protection Cream compare to the Lexus brand "equivalents"? Does the cleaner work as fast? Thanks.

Thanks for sharing, MyLS460. Does the Lexus-brand leather cleaner/conditioner leave behind a shiny or oily surface? I received my Leather Masters Strong Cleaner but haven't had a chance to use it yet, nor the Protection Cream.
Old 05-14-16, 05:41 PM
jfelbab

My opinion... the Leather Masters cleaner works better and is more versatile. I previously mentioned I buy the LM Strong Leather Cleaner and dilute it 50/50 with hot water. This makes for a very effective cleaner that is also quite affordable. For heavier soiling I add less hot water to strengthen the detergent ratio. Frankly, I was not all that impressed with the Lexus leather products but in fairness, I've not used them in about 10 years. I suspect it is a rebranded product, likely the same product that all other auto manufacturers also sell in their parts department. I find it telling that Lexus does not recommend these products in their owners manual.

IMO leather conditioners, as a class, are not very useful on coated leather. There is a difference between a conditioner and a protectant. Conditioners are typically oily or waxy and cannot penetrate the leather topcoat to do anything for the leather. Conditioners do not inhibit dye transfer like a protectant will. I only use protectants on my leather.

Sadly there is not a universally accepted definition of what a leather conditioner is or what a leather protector is. I've found that water based fluorocarbon protectors are my product of choice for keeping leather stain free and pristine. Finding which products contain fluorocarbon protectors and to what level is often difficult. Many manufacturers don't want to divulge what is in their bottle. Products that contain oils, aloe, lanolin, silicone, etc., are not desirable.
Old 05-14-16, 07:21 PM
MyLS460
Driver

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks for sharing, MyLS460. Does the Lexus-brand leather cleaner/conditioner leave behind a shiny or oily surface? I received my Leather Masters Strong Cleaner but haven't had a chance to use it yet, nor the Protection Cream.
Not at all. After applying/cleaning/wiping (really the same action, turn/replace the lint-free cleaning cloth as often as needed to avoid spreading the dirt/grime around - any stains not easily removable, I'd use a soft toothbrush to scrub out in circular motion), apply/spread/rub down the leather conditioner to the cleaned surface area. Allow for it to dry and voila - done! The leather will not be shiny or oily but rather feel and smell as new. A shiny piece of leather is just not luxurious.

All said, I am interested in learning more about the Leather Masters products. Good luck!
Old 05-15-16, 05:59 AM
MyLS460
Driver

With all the suggestions for leather cleaners that can be confusing, the attached link with "View poll results" for the various options can be quite helpful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...nditioner.html

Last edited by MyLS460; 05-21-16 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 12:42 PM
lexusbexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't seen Nuluxe mentioned anywhere. What's the best cleaner/protector for that?
Old 05-17-16, 01:48 PM
jfelbab

NuLuxe is an engineered leather or faux leather. It should be cleaned with the same methods and products as coated leather. NuLuxe does not benefit from leather conditioners and yet will resist stains and dye transfer with a water-based fluorocarbon protectant like Leather Master Leather Protectant.
Old 05-18-16, 05:52 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

You can also use Woolite. It's cheap and does a wonderful job cleaning. I've been using it for years.
Old 05-29-16, 07:10 AM
spring75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F Sport leather seat cleaner

Has anyone tried using a leather cleaner/conditioner on a red F Sport leather seat? Any suggestions on how to clean them? Thanks!
Old 05-29-16, 07:33 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Lexus has suggested cleaner with their name on it but like most car leather, it has been "processed " to the point where It does not matter that much. I know others will not agree as this can turn into almost a religious thing of do's and don'ts. Main thing is after cleaning to apply a conditioner to keep the surface from drying out to prevent cracks.
Old 05-29-16, 09:56 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Generally any car leather cleaner will do. The F Sport seats in my IS turned the cloth red at first but eventually it goes away
Old 05-29-16, 10:34 AM
MyLS460
Driver

From the Professional . . .

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...Lexus-Interior
Old 07-24-16, 09:01 AM
MyLS460
Driver

Bought a bottle of Leather Master Strong Ckeaner for Leather, a bottle of Leather Master Leather Protection Cream and a bottle of Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner - my assessments are (scoring is 1 to 10, 10 being best).

- LM Strong Cleaner Vs. "Lexus" Genuine Leather Cleaner (officially no longer available but can be found on line): 7 for LM, 9 for Lexus as it can take out heavy stains, ink marks with little effort; that said, I am satisfied with the LM Cleaner.
- LM Leather Protection Cream vs. "Lexus" leather conditioner: 9 for LM, 9 for Lexus. LM is lighter and easier to apply; Lexus, thicker but leaves a new leather smell. None stinks as some folks have implied. LM is a bit pricier per fluid ounce.
- Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner - a great alternative to other cleaners with UV protectant and is safe on leather (for light cleaning) with a reasonable fragrance (some may not like) that goes away after the cleaning/wipe down.

There, you won't do wrong with these LM and Meguiar's products.

Last edited by MyLS460; 07-24-16 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: what is the best leather cleaner product out there ?