Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

RestorFX to make your car look brand new (New way of car detailing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 03:42 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RestorFX - Make your car look brand new (New way of car detailing)

So I have been looking around in the Vancouver area for a good shop to have a complete exterior detail done on my car (wash, claybar, polish, and wax). With so many choices it's hard to find a good shop. If anyone knows any in the Vancouver Canada area, please let me know

Anyways, so I was talking one of the shops and they offered me to do RestorFX on my car (supposedly it's good for taking out scratches/swirl marks, and leaves a protection layer on the vehicle that lasts a long time). So I did a little search but I could not find too much information on this product, as it seems new. But here is a video and it looks quite convincing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a36vdu7gKZo

I have a 2007 Lexus GS450H with the black paint (paint code 212), I am pretty sure it is Obsidian which does not have a clear coat. So my question is should I just do a normal cut polish to take out the imperfections or use the RestorFX? I really don't want to thin my paint by wet sanding or polish because it does not have a clear coat. What I like about it is that it also adds another protection layer to the already weak Lexus paint, but I'm scared that it will dull the black paint look as Lexus didn't on a clear coat on purpose to have a deeper black. The cost for this job is around $250 for the outside of the vehicle, which is a little cheaper than polishing.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Terry

Last edited by TCKeyz; 02-20-12 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added more product information
Old 02-20-12, 03:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I'll believe it when I see a video of this product being used on a scratched and faded car.

An actual video... from the guy washing the dirty panel, to applying the product, to the finish. Until then it just seems like a bunch of bs.

If it's so easy, quick and effective, they couldn't include a quick demonstration of how the product is used? Cmon...
Old 02-20-12, 04:31 PM
SargeISF
Lead Lap

http://youtu.be/Xb9o3TCQKG8

Interesting.
Old 02-20-12, 04:40 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Yeah I was also quite blown away when I saw that "real life" video. I just don't know if I should try it, too risky on my own car lol, or go with polishing which will thin the paint of the car (+ my car being Single Stage paint).
Old 02-20-12, 04:48 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Here is more info: http://www.a1detailplus.com/detail_plus.html

I was told that this will make the clear coat thicker.
Old 02-20-12, 05:27 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What does it look like under holograms or some type of lighting?
Old 02-20-12, 10:33 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

The person from the shop said it is suppose to give the car a mirror like finish. But worst case scenario, you can always polish it to remove the flaws right? Also I was told that I don't need to wax the car for years, but personally, I still would.
Old 02-24-12, 01:52 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you be willing to go to a proper detailer in your area? I can see if my old detailing contacts are still around for business. They are most knowledgeable about proper coatings since I honestly have no idea bout this one. From first glance it could be another glorified sealant since I haven't seen this one around yet in the detailing world
Old 02-24-12, 02:33 PM
21SF
Driver

I like this comment... lol

orrrrrr this car is just dusty and he's wiping off the dust with the rag and stuff on it... t-cutting takes a lot more effort than one quick wipe down.
Old 02-24-12, 11:32 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

@eyezack87 Yes, I think I would just do a proper car detail for now (it's better to be safe than sorry). If you know of any good detailing shops around the Vancouver, BC area, I would really appreciate it if you can give me their contacts I'm thinking on doing a full detail (wash, clay, multi-stage polish, and wax).
Old 02-25-12, 12:00 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

TCKeyz, are you sure your obsidian (212) is single stage paint? I'm asking only to find out when Lexus may have started using clear coat on 212. Although there's probably other considerations besides model year. Thanks.
Old 02-25-12, 08:21 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Lots of people say it is single staged paint, but some say there is a clear coat. After hours of research my conclusion was that 2007+ black (obsidian - 212) does have a clear coat. But the clear coat on darker colours are thinner than light colours. Black Onyx however is confirmed to have no clear coat (2006-). Some earlier models of 2007 does use the Onyx black though. I will be doing a complete
Cut polish in march, I will come back and post my results to see if there is any black paint on the polishing pad.
Old 02-26-12, 06:48 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
@eyezack87 Yes, I think I would just do a proper car detail for now (it's better to be safe than sorry). If you know of any good detailing shops around the Vancouver, BC area, I would really appreciate it if you can give me their contacts I'm thinking on doing a full detail (wash, clay, multi-stage polish, and wax).
I'll shoot you a PM when I get a hold of a few people for ya
Old 02-26-12, 08:25 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2007 with 212 obsidian and it does have clear, it's just tinted clear. You do get a bit of black on your pads if you machine polish but not as much as if the car had single stage paint.
Old 02-29-12, 07:25 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

@eyezack87 thanks you

Quick Reply: RestorFX to make your car look brand new (New way of car detailing)