Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Anyone used Leatherique?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 08:46 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone used Leatherique?

Since the 2IS Leather is coated, will using the Leatherique system really work on the leather?

The Rejuvenator oil is an oil that needs to seep though, so if our leather is coated, will it still seep?

And if anyone has tired it, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-12, 09:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I tried it on the 2003 GS which is also coated. From what I understand all Lexus leather was coated beginning in the early 90's.

I did it back in the summer on one of the hottest days we had. The entire week was a consistent 90-100 degree weather, some of the worst we've had in years, so it was the perfect time to use the product.

I used the rejuvenator oil and applied it with a small flat brush (my guess is about 4-6oz. of the product on the whole interior). I applied a very generous amount and locked the car for a good 24 hours so it can bake. When I opened the doors, most of the oil was consumed by the leather, almost looked like it was never applied at all. I followed up wit ha bucket of warm water, the Leatherique Prestine Clean and a clean MF towel. Sprayed the seats down and the dirt just melted off the seats and center arm rest. The bucket was dark brown when I was all finished and the interior looked 10X better (not exaggerating that at all). Very matte, non slippery. Felt and looked clean almost like new.

I was blown away with the results. I really feel the oil helped loosen alot of the dirt that was on the seats all these years.

This was a response directly from Leatherique with regards to Lexus leather:

"The Rejuvenator will work just fine on your Lexus leather. All the new finishes are a water based product, and the Rejuvenator and Prestine are very compatible. The finish (Lexus leather) is water proof, not completely sealed, so it will absorb through the finish, and also through the stitch holes and migrate laterally into the fibers of the leather.

Apparently all Lexus leather have the polyurethane coating and it's not an issue for using the Leatherique twins.

They note in their response that the rejuvenator oil enters through the stitch holes and I am assuming perforated leather speeds up the process alot quicker too which would explain why my brother's Lexus seats absorbed almost all of the oil after about 25-30 hours of dwelling.

In fact, I was asking the same question as you a while back on Detailing Bliss, and here's one of the most helpful replies I received:

"Rejuvinator Oil is a water based product: "PLEASE NOTE that there is NO OIL in the Rejuvinator Oil that name is from the 1960's when people EXPECTED an OIL for their Leather. Hence the name change to LEATHER REJUVINATOR." - this is directly from leatherique website."
Old 02-25-12, 08:34 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

@97-SC300 After applying the rejuvenator and waited 24 hours. Did you used the Prestine Clean right away to clean the seats or did you wipe down the seat with a MF towel with warm water first before applying? I saw a post where someone said that if you use the Prestine clean right away without wiping it down first it will make the seats sticky. Thanks!
Old 02-25-12, 10:19 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TCKeyz
@97-SC300 After applying the rejuvenator and waited 24 hours. Did you used the Prestine Clean right away to clean the seats or did you wipe down the seat with a MF towel with warm water first before applying? I saw a post where someone said that if you use the Prestine clean right away without wiping it down first it will make the seats sticky. Thanks!
I used Prestine clean right away.

I've posted this link several times on multiple occasions on this forum when people ask about how to use the product. It's the best link I've come across from Detailed Image (a CL forum sponsor):

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/
Old 02-25-12, 10:21 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

If you are really worried about it, I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to wipe the seats dry with a MF before applying the prestine clean. Personally I didn't see a need for it as the seats were pretty much dry, as most of the product absorbed into the leather.
Old 02-25-12, 11:08 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

Thanks maybe that's why, the person who had problem had his seats still full of the rejuvinator.
Old 02-26-12, 07:05 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i do have it ..going to apply it during summer
Old 02-26-12, 02:16 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Does anyone have recommendations to use is cold temperature? I live in Houston, Texas and the weather here is very unpredictable. So I wanna do it soon, so what do you guys recommend?
Old 02-26-12, 06:42 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

The link 97-SC300 posted have some good ideas, but I have yet to find a way to keep the temp up for such a long time. I think it's the best to just do it in the summer while using some other cleaner/conditioners during colder weather, maybe try lexol?
Old 02-26-12, 06:50 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys have halogen lamps of any sort, those work well. Pull your car into your garage, and aim the lights at your seats from a safe distance and it'll slowly heat them up. Put it closer if you want it warmer, etc. I have a set I use for when I detail cars so it gets double duty when working on leather
Old 02-26-12, 09:47 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Sorry, this might sound dumb but, are you saying keep the halogens inside the car...? That doesn't seem safe. And keeping it outside how would i angle the light close enough to heat the car up?
Old 02-26-12, 10:06 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

I'm referring to these style halogen lamps. Should answer all your questions with this picture

Old 02-26-12, 10:13 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
I'm referring to these style halogen lamps. Should answer all your questions with this picture

Thanks man, Explains a lot! But I just have 2 questions...(sorry)

1. Isn't the head going to melt or shrink the bag?
2. How long did you do it for per seat?
Old 02-27-12, 02:19 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

That is why you put it at a safe distance. In any case, you'll figure out what is a good distance right away when you first turn it on. I use it to warm my hands when I'm cold. As for length of time, up to you
Old 02-27-12, 07:47 PM
sallydrive
Driver

Okay, well i'm getting my products in Friday. I'm going to use the seat heater and car heater on high ever hour for about 10 minutes and use the light for about 30 minutes on each door and keep revolving for about 6 hours.

Thanks for the advice guys!
Let me know if you have any comments?

Quick Reply: Anyone used Leatherique?