Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean/condition your leather seats?
As Needed
16.09%
Weekly
10.73%
Monthly
24.46%
Every 3 Months
19.96%
Every 6 Months
12.66%
Once a Year
8.58%
Never
7.51%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-02, 11:00 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leather Seats - Cleaning/Conditioning

How Often?

As needed, I spritz Lexol Conditioner on a terry applicator and then add a Quarter-sized dab of Connolly Hide Food in the center of the applicator for each seat. Let it cook in the sun for a few hours. Ahhh.

I use Lexol cleaner when needed...Usually when the buttbuffing gets too shiny for my taste.

edit 1/2/03-I'm using Pinnacle leather conditioner now. Wow!

edit 7/3/03-I'm using Duragloss 221/222 leather conditioner now. Wow 2X

Last edited by Daddy-O; 07-05-03 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 01:02 AM
SW03ES
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soft Scrub keeps the buttbuffing shine down?
Old 10-15-02, 02:14 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow Every 3 Months

I use Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner. Maybe my seat leather is too old and dried, but it doesn't seem to do much other than make the car smell like chemicals...
Old 10-15-02, 04:28 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexol leather cleaner if needed. Surflex leather Soffener followed by Griot Leather Care. Gets that buttery softness with no artificial smells. Worse part for me? The wrinkled leather door panels. Seems to be a stiffer, harder leather on my GS than anywhere else. Probably do the doors every two weeks and the rest once a month for the warmer months. Don't bother when it cools off, very little of the treatments soaks in.
Old 10-21-02, 11:14 AM
Lvangundy

I've had a tip from a upholstery shop that the only way to get old leather to feel new again is to clean and condition weekly for several weeks.

The cleaning is of course, needed as neccessary, but the guy at the shop that eventually after weekly conditioning you will notice a difference on old leather.
Old 10-22-02, 12:28 AM
Lvangundy

I'm reading allabout this stuff...I guess Lexol is the LEAST effective conditioner. The cleaer does work well though.

Suflex and Griots work better, there is also a product called leatherique which is said to work better than both.

Only thing, coats must be applied continuosly until results are seen. Not a one time deal.
Old 10-22-02, 03:31 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Sufflex says that the biggest reason a treatment doesn't work is that it just sits on top of the leather and evaporates off without sinking in. Biggest reason to apply treatments when it is very warm, seems to help them soak in. Sufflex also says that if you want Soffener, which is not water based like most treatments, to really soak in, apply saran wrap over it after you apply, that way the treatment has to go into the leather. Haven't tried it yet but I can vouch for the need for continual treatment to really improve things.
Old 11-21-02, 07:18 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I actually just got many new products today. Got Vinylex for first time, great stuff.
Got Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner, will do car tomorrow....
I soft scrubbed the door panels, havent got to other things yet. It definately will take the black wear marks off the seats....which is dirt...but at the same time it really dries out your leather and if your leather is really worn anywhere, the soft scrub will really dry it out and make it more noticeable, so be careful. All in all Id rather have wear marks then dirty leather.
Wouldnt recommend soft scrub unless you have an older car, like my 93 where the leather was decent condition but very dirty and having the leather wear a little more as a result of the abasive cleaner is better than it being dirty. I wouldnt use it on a newer car with new leather.
Old 12-26-02, 11:06 PM
Stevenem
Rookie

Zaino Leather In a Bottle and Leather Cleaner are good. So is griot's conditioners.

Clean your interior as instructed, turn heat to MAX HOT, and turn seat heaters on. Apply your leather conditioner as things warm. This will help it soak in nicely.
Old 12-27-02, 02:11 AM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

good idea to turn the heater max hot and then apply leather conditioner or dressing in the winter and repetition is key for older leathers
Old 01-02-03, 06:28 PM
twenty1
Lead Lap

here ya go....

for your leather, use soft scrub. not the kind with bleach, but with lemon. someone on this site posted that suggestion, and i was very skeptical. saw the pics and decided to give it a try. worked like a charm!!! just use soft scrub and a scrub brush. i bought one from targe that is supposed to be used for dishes, for like 2 bucks. i was very surprised at how much better it worked than ANYTHING else that i have used, and i would consider myself very involved in keeping my car clean. just use a damp towel to wipe off the seat that you have cleaned (i would suggest cleaning one at a time) and a dry one to wipe it dry, and you should be good to go. any questions, let me know.
Old 01-04-03, 04:52 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Question Surflex Question

For those of you who have used Surflex Leather Soffner, have any of you used the technique where you apply it, cover with Saran Wrap, and leave it alone for a few days? Does it work better than Lexol? I've been using Lexol, along with the Zymol Cleaner (orange liquid) and Zymol Conditioner (beige cream). Just wondered if Surflex would rejuvenate the sun-baked leather at the top of the rear bench.

Oh, and to answer the poll:
I condition every other week during the hot summer months, once a month otherwise.
I've actually only had my current upholstery for one week, I bought some Coach Edition seats from a salvage yard that were in much better condition than my old non-Coach ones (previous owner didn't do much to take care of the leather). Paid $152 for the seats, $250 for a shop to pull the leather off the fronts (they weren't heated) and to swap them for the covers on my heated factory seats.

Last edited by squarehat; 01-04-03 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 09:04 AM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

i use Meguiar's but i've heard Lexol is better.........

~ Stella
Old 04-11-03, 05:18 PM
97LS400
Rookie

I use a citrus spray cleaner (spray and wipe immediately, do NOT leave it on) and Connolly Hide Food. This creates a wonderfully soft supple leather with no slippery feeling like Lexol and most everything else I have seen. This is the way leather should feel!

It is labelled "Hide Food" by Connolly, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Bentley, and Rolls Royce but the product is the same.
Old 04-12-03, 01:43 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

I read that Connolly Hide Food's manufacturer had gone out of business, and that the product is in short supply. What are Bentley, Rolls, and Aston owners going to use? I'd like to get some Hide Food if this is my last chance to do so.

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats