Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How often do you clean/condition your leather seats?
As Needed
16.09%
Weekly
10.73%
Monthly
24.46%
Every 3 Months
19.96%
Every 6 Months
12.66%
Once a Year
8.58%
Never
7.51%
Voters: 466. You may not vote on this poll

Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 10:38 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pinnacle leather cleaner supposed to be a good one. It won't do harm to your leather. I've used the Lexus one and its pretty good, but Lexol is the winner of all that I've used so far (303, Lexol, CG, and a few others).
Old 07-25-07, 03:34 PM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

first i have read most of this thread with, but i am a newbie in these things and didn't understand what they are saying, never ever used a cleaner or conditioner,i don't even remember i've seen someone clean his leather..

i did a search on "Fast Orange" and came up with a hand cleaner! and another search on "soft scrub" and i came out with this:

is this what you are talking about?

anyways..

my IS is new and only 5 months old,the leather started cracking in the corners and it's hot these days and i'm afraid it will get worse,i went to buy a conditiner and expected to see instructions on the bottle but there was nothing.
so what should i do EXACTLY to my leather?how to use the cleaner and conditioner?
and is the leather suede?
Old 07-29-07, 07:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by A.C Milan
Hi,

first i have read most of this thread with, but i am a newbie in these things and didn't understand what they are saying, never ever used a cleaner or conditioner,i don't even remember i've seen someone clean his leather..

i did a search on "Fast Orange" and came up with a hand cleaner! and another search on "soft scrub" and i came out with this:

is this what you are talking about?

anyways..

my IS is new and only 5 months old,the leather started cracking in the corners and it's hot these days and i'm afraid it will get worse,i went to buy a conditiner and expected to see instructions on the bottle but there was nothing.
so what should i do EXACTLY to my leather?how to use the cleaner and conditioner?
and is the leather suede?
If your IS is only 5 months old and you are experiencing real cracks and not just leather creases, Lexus should replace the leather. If you are talking about leather creases, this will happen to all leather. The best thing to do is keep the leather clean and conditioned. I like the Lexus stuff for cleaning and conditioning but many also like Lexol and Zaino products for this.

I'd also advise against using Fast Orange or that Soft Scrub on new leather. Unless your leather is very neglected and grungy, you don't need anything that harsh. If you don't want to use a real leather cleaner and like household products use a 1:6 dilution of Woolite. (1 part Woolite to 6 parts water) for a cleaner.

I wipe down my leather with a moist microfiber towel prior to using the cleaner. Just an old habit to remove any loose dust and grit. I apply the leather cleaner to a section at a time with soft brush and towel dry. After drying I go back and examine all of the leather to see that it is clean then I condition. I apply the conditioner with a towel to the whole car and let it set for 10 - 15 minutes then I wipe with a clean microfiber to remove any excess. If your leather feels hard, let the conditioner sit a little longer and if possible pull your car into the sun and close the windows to get the interior hot. This added heat will aid the absorption of the conditioner.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-29-07 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 07:55 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

thanks so much,that cleared alot to me.

but one last thing,should i get a conditioner thats says "for suede" or not?
Old 07-29-07, 11:26 AM
jfelbab

thanks so much,that cleared alot to me.

but one last thing,should i get a conditioner thats says "for suede" or not?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you have suede leather in your IS. I believe that all new IS series came with perforated leather. Which brings up another point. Sometimes conditioner gets caught up in the perforations when you detail the leather. I use a horsehair shoe brush to remove any excess conditioner if it clogs up the holes.

If you do really have suede you must use special cleaners and conditioners meant for specifically suede.
Old 07-29-07, 11:32 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Sometimes conditioner gets caught up in the perforations when you detail the leather. I use a horsehair shoe brush to remove any excess conditioner if it clogs up the holes.
Apply the conditioner to a cloth before applying on your seats. That way it won't get caught in the perforations.
Old 07-29-07, 11:49 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

i don't even know what "suede" means.. i just read it on a bottle.
yes i have perforated leather,so it's not suede then.

so this is what i will do:
1- wipe the leather first with a moist towel
2-apply the cleaner to a clean microfiber and then wipe.
3- apply the conditioner to the mf then wipe.
4-leave it for 10 mins.
5-wipe the leather with a moist towel.

correct me if i'm wrong
thanx
Old 07-29-07, 12:39 PM
jfelbab

i don't even know what "suede" means.. i just read it on a bottle.
yes i have perforated leather,so it's not suede then.

so this is what i will do:
1- wipe the leather first with a moist towel
2-apply the cleaner to a clean microfiber and then wipe.
3- apply the conditioner to the mf then wipe.
4-leave it for 10 mins.
5-wipe the leather with a moist towel.

correct me if i'm wrong
thanx
You may wish to try using a firm sponge or a soft bristle brush for step 2. You may also have better results using a dry towel for step 5.
Old 07-29-07, 01:06 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

For a leather conditioner, I just started using Optimum Protect Plus(OPP) (the new formulation) to condition and protect my leather and interior (dash and trim). In the past I have used the Lexus branded conditioner. But this time around, I purchased the new OPP that you can spray. It is much easier to apply with a spray solution for perforated seats, really conditions the leather, has a nice leather smell, and protects against sun damage. So instead of applying by hand and trying to not get the conditioner stuck within the perforated portion of the seats, I just spray and wipe down. Plus, now I can use the same product to condition and protect on my seats, dash, and doors.

The finish that the new OPP gives is a nice satin finish that is slightly less glossy than 303. I'm also glad that OPP provides sun protection against UV rays to protect against fading and cracking.
Old 08-03-07, 09:19 AM
JefSpicoli
Driver School Candidate

Please help. I had some sort of greasy looking stain on my passenger seat. I think from a night of all you can eat korean bbq. don't ask. anyway. i bought some zaino spray cleaner which came recommended. It cleaned right off but now the spot seems a bit dry and looks like it could crack. i clean another spot and it's ok there, which leads me to believe whatever the stain was from caused the dryness. What do you guys recommend i do ASaP?
Old 08-03-07, 10:46 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by JefSpicoli
Please help. I had some sort of greasy looking stain on my passenger seat. I think from a night of all you can eat korean bbq. don't ask. anyway. i bought some zaino spray cleaner which came recommended. It cleaned right off but now the spot seems a bit dry and looks like it could crack. i clean another spot and it's ok there, which leads me to believe whatever the stain was from caused the dryness. What do you guys recommend i do ASaP?
Always apply a conditioner after using a chemical cleaner. In your case I'd heavily apply a conditioner to the area and let it sit for a half hour before wiping off the excess. If possible park the car in the sun and keep the windows closed to generate some heat.

Korean BBQ sauce? Don't know what is in it but I bet it is not PH neutral.
Old 09-15-07, 12:27 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

I moved from Meguiar's to Lexol... it's much better
Old 10-01-07, 04:14 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought some Leatherique a couple years ago and finally used it this summer. I really like it!! Seemed to add a nice suppleness to the leather about 4 years old, the accompanying cleaner cleaned plastic too; and the Leatherique had a lot less odor to me than some other leather preps I have tried. Haven't followed this thread for a while.
Old 11-12-07, 10:05 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I came across this today and thought I would share. Results look amazing.

http://www.ppc.au.com/results.htm
Old 01-04-08, 03:42 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Here is some info for you guys on keeping up leather. The best leather products Ive used so far is Leather Master. I HIGHLY recommend them.

http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...e-leather.html
http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...l-leather.html

Quick Reply: Cleaning & Conditioning Leather Seats