Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Allow dealer to wax new car before delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 09:49 AM
Cleo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Allow dealer to wax new car before delivery?

I was wondering if it's ok to allow the dealer to wax a brand new car before delivery. I'm thinking that by having them wax it, swirl marks are going to appear even if done by hand. I'm sure these dealer guys only use a circular motion.
Old 11-19-11, 09:53 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Cleo
I was wondering if it's ok to allow the dealer to wax a brand new car before delivery.
NO!

Sorry for the harsh language.

Big Mack
Old 11-19-11, 10:08 AM
Cleo
Driver

Originally Posted by Big Mack
NO!

Sorry for the harsh language.

Big Mack
Lol. Ok. Thx, Big Mack. I told them not to wax, and the dealer was stunned. He said it's usually a $200 charge if bought it separately. Something abot Luxcare. I still declined. I told them to just wash the car.
Old 11-19-11, 10:32 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

I wouldn't even let them wash the car! Swirl city!

As for wax, my IS F must have had about 100 coats of wax on it when I got it, the flake was severely muted! But to give the dealership guys credit, there was no marks or swirls. Just a tiny shallow scratch behind the rear number plate.

And I have to ask, what car are you getting? Congratulations anyway!
Old 11-19-11, 11:48 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by LexyISF
I wouldn't even let them wash the car! Swirl city!
Agreed. No washing, no waxing, no swirls included for free. Just not worth it. If I took delivery of a brand new car and it had swirl one, they'd have a new one without any marks waiting for me the next day or I'd cancel everything. No dice if I'm paying for a car and you hose it before I even drive the damn thing.

And $200 for a wax job? Please. Unless they have models with microfiber bums wiping it down (and doing so on video ), a wax job alone shouldn't be $200.

Big Mack
Old 11-19-11, 05:01 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even waxing in straight lines will create the affect known as "swirls." Those are actually comprised of many straight lines that form in the shape of a circle when light is shined on the paint due to how the light catches on each separate scratch. Gotta remember to wax in one direction and one direction only to help minimize them forming a circle and becoming more noticeable

Last edited by eyezack87; 11-19-11 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-19-11, 06:39 PM
jw669
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont trust the dealership with ANYTHING
Old 11-19-11, 07:47 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I think we have all heard the stories about dealerships doing poor detailing jobs and delivering brand new vehicles in need of correction due to improper care and handling.

But cmon, let's be real, NOT ALL dealerships are like that. Look at how many professional detailers do most of their work for dealerships. Not talking about 17 year olds working as dealership porters that don't know the difference between a swirl and a bird dropping. There are plenty of dealerships that do quality work.

Visit any detailing forum, there will be MANY guys that are really skilled at what they do who do most of their detail work for dealerships.

Cleo, before you tell them no, ask them to show you a car that has recently been detailed. Ask them to park it in the sun so you can see the quality of the detail. There are careless and negligent dealerships, just like there are careless "detail shops". For every careless dealership there is also a dealership that does a good job.
Old 11-20-11, 09:27 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I think we have all heard the stories about dealerships doing poor detailing jobs and delivering brand new vehicles in need of correction due to improper care and handling.

But cmon, let's be real, NOT ALL dealerships are like that. Look at how many professional detailers do most of their work for dealerships. Not talking about 17 year olds working as dealership porters that don't know the difference between a swirl and a bird dropping. There are plenty of dealerships that do quality work.

Visit any detailing forum, there will be MANY guys that are really skilled at what they do who do most of their detail work for dealerships.

Cleo, before you tell them no, ask them to show you a car that has recently been detailed. Ask them to park it in the sun so you can see the quality of the detail. There are careless and negligent dealerships, just like there are careless "detail shops". For every careless dealership there is also a dealership that does a good job.
Agreed that not all dealerships are like that, but many are. I used to do all the prep work for several dealerships, and one decided it wasn't worth the cost except when doing restores on used cars. That lasted 3 weeks, then the general manager called me, apologized for the sales manager's shortsightedness, and asked if we could help him out. 63 vehicles (and about $ 16K) later, I knew he was a client for life.

That said, if they can show you a car that was detailed in the last week and guarantee it's the same detailer and no scratches/swirls, it would be worthwhile.

Big Mack
Old 11-20-11, 11:56 AM
Cleo
Driver

Thx for ur input guys. I just had them wash it. The car had spots of adhesive and a little dirt, which is fine by me. I just wanted to see a clean car so I can inspect it. I did find a tiny chip on the edge of the wheel. They wouldn't make any concessions considering I got a pretty good deal on the car. I did get some touchup paint. Lol.
Old 11-21-11, 03:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You made the right decision in not letting them wax it. Most of the time it is just a cheap wax, no way it is anything approaching $200 that some teen getting paid 8 or 9 bucks an hour quickly putts on and often swirls up your finish. I would suggest putting a good long lasting sealant or wax on yourself if you paint is in good condition. Colonite, Blackfire, Zaino, Klass, are all excellent waxes/sealants but you will need to order them from somewhere.
Old 11-26-11, 10:38 AM
ARehman
Rookie

My local Lexus dealer did an excellent detail when I picked my car up. No swirls or scratches. They washed, clayed, polished and waxed and did the interior and then a hot blonde showed me all the features before I drove it out of the show room.
Old 11-26-11, 12:23 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Never let them do a dealer prep! I've yet to hear of a car dealership that use quality products and techniques, while they may exist. Dealerships often use products that help hide imperfections but virtually every single brand new car regardless of price has plenty of swirls you just need the right lighting to see it.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-27-11, 03:59 PM
GoFast908Z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Even waxing in straight lines will create the affect known as "swirls." Those are actually comprised of many straight lines that form in the shape of a circle when light is shined on the paint due to how the light catches on each separate scratch. Gotta remember to wax in one direction and one direction only to help minimize them forming a circle and becoming more noticeable
Its not the motion that causes the scratches, its the media that is used. If the wash mitt or applicator or microfiber, or whatever you're using to touch the paint is poor quality it has the ability to marr the paint.
Old 11-27-11, 08:59 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Its not the motion that causes the scratches, its the media that is used. If the wash mitt or applicator or microfiber, or whatever you're using to touch the paint is poor quality it has the ability to marr the paint.
Doesn't matter if it is top quality or poor quality. Eventually any media gets old to the point where it gets retired, but many do not know when they should retire it. Even the best media is useless once it is embedded with contaminant

Quick Reply: Allow dealer to wax new car before delivery?