Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus IS F - My new car detail

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 09:57 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS F - My new car detail

I've posted this detail on another car detailing forum I am a regular at, but though it would be nice here.

I've had my new '11 starlight black IS F for about a month now, and did this detail about 2 weeks ago. I was just wanting to do a good paintwork inspection / clean up, and apply a 'super sealant' to the wheels for protection, so they wouldn't go bad due to the notorious IS F brake dust.

The detail took me 2 days, but I was taking my time. The wheels took me about 6 hours to complete.

This is the brake dust I'm talking about, and this is when the car had less than 500kms on the clock!

I gave the Lex a good APC soak with the foam gun, to start stripping away all the grime and dealer applied protection.

After washing with the usual two bucket method, the car was clayed, washed again, dried off and taken into the garage. I cleaned the paint with Meg's paint cleaner on my DA with a white LC pad. I inspected the paint, and I was lucky I only found one scratch from the rear numberplate where it had been mounted with nothing behind it.

Since the paint was really good, I applied Prima Amigo with my Meg's DA. It has a little bit of cut with the right pad, so not wanting to use a full on abrasive polish, this was perfect for the job. I got some great reflections!

I was going to give the Lex a coat of Menzerna Power Lock, but one look at the gorgeous black paint, I just had to give the Lex a coat of Victoria Wax Concours!

Next was onto the wheels. Each wheel was removed from the car, Cleaned with APC, decontaminated with Iron-X, then polished with Meg's paint cleaner on the DA again.

I applied C.Quartz to the rims, hopefully this will do the trick in providing some rock solid protection from brake dust. So far, they have been going well, with most dust being washed away with just the hose!

While the C.Quartz was curing, The inner guards were cleaned with APC, then treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

I love the brakes on this beast! I treated the calipers to C.Quartz as well.

The tyres got the treatment with Meg's Endurance Tire Gel.

All glossy and mounted up again

I treated the interior to 303 Aerospace Protectant on the plastics, and Optimum Leather Protectant for the leather.

Some after shots!

Lovely full sun sparkle!

Hope you guys enjoyed it!

Last edited by LexyISF; 10-31-11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 01:24 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

good work

i love it when you detail the car and it rains 3hr later
Old 10-31-11, 04:10 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Awesome job.. Love the new IS-F...
Old 10-31-11, 04:27 AM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Cheers guys! I'm loving every minute of it!
Old 10-31-11, 05:48 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

simply awsome!!
Old 10-31-11, 06:39 AM
js619858
Pole Position

DAmmmmmmmm! How much you pay in AUS? Probably double from me! Don't the car look 1000 times better in person than pictures or video.

When I bought mine I was like nice, then I saw it in person and was like WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW! Way nicer in person!
Old 10-31-11, 06:47 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work overall, but GOOD LORD WTF were you thinking putting your brand new ISF rims FACE down on Concrete? That seems like a kindegarten error right there, and for someone who has gone to the efforts of such a complete detail, and hunt for defects, I am shocked to see that in your photo. Don't do that again! I was furious at the sight of that wheel upside down on the ground, and it's not even my car. End rant. BTW gorgeous car!
Old 10-31-11, 07:49 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job!!
Old 10-31-11, 08:22 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

From the products he is using, I'm sure he is not new to detailing and I'm sure he made sure the tire stuck out more than the wheels did. On a flat surface, most tires contact the ground before the wheel!

Looks great! Lot of spokes on those wheels. I still need to seal mine up before the winter!

What APC did you use in the foam gun?
Old 10-31-11, 09:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Good lookin detail! I am sure you were careful with your wheels on the concrete right? I still would do it on the grass with a microfiber underneath, but some say I am ****.

Looks good brother. Liking the RHD IS-F alot...

On a side note, is that a gas line or water line sticking up out of your yard? I think I would have to put something over that, you have a beautiful place in a beautiful neighborhood from what I can see, shame to spoil the "curb appeal".
Old 10-31-11, 09:29 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda
From the products he is using, I'm sure he is not new to detailing and I'm sure he made sure the tire stuck out more than the wheels did. On a flat surface, most tires contact the ground before the wheel!

Looks great! Lot of spokes on those wheels. I still need to seal mine up before the winter!

I would never trust the raised tire bead to act as a barrier. Especially since the concrete in this picture is not flat, but pebbly, and uneven, there is no way to possibly measure if one pebble is taller than the beed. It could absolutely scratch the rim with even micrometers of difference from the bead. Not safe at all, any way you slice it. I stand by my original post and just wanted to bring it to the attention to the OP. I don't car how long a person has been detailing, or the products they use. sometimes people can make negligent mistakes, and I wanted the OP to nip that bad habit in the bud. Just offering some advice that could save him heartache in the future. I think he was very lucky this time that he just happened to have his wheels come out unscathed. I use hi end products too, but have made negligent mistakes myself

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-31-11 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-31-11, 04:51 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Thanks for the rant guys lol! The rim bead on the tyre is about 1/2" past the edge of the rim. Seriously, if there was ANY chance of scratching, I wouldn't have done it that way. And yes, I've been playing around with detailing for years.

Thank you for your concerns!

P.s. I got to fix the pic links...
Old 10-31-11, 04:56 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stylnhonda

Simple green! Yep, we get that in Australia!
Love this stuff, better than all the others ive tried. I get it in gallon jugs and I use it mostly at around 1 part APC to 5 or 6 parts water.

I'll post pic of rim protector to put everyones minds at ease lol! Mine was, and it's my expensive car!
Old 10-31-11, 04:59 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I would never trust the raised tire bead to act as a barrier. Especially since the concrete in this picture is not flat, but pebbly, and uneven, there is no way to possibly measure if one pebble is taller than the beed. It could absolutely scratch the rim with even micrometers of difference from the bead. Not safe at all, any way you slice it. I stand by my original post and just wanted to bring it to the attention to the OP. I don't car how long a person has been detailing, or the products they use. sometimes people can make negligent mistakes, and I wanted the OP to nip that bad habit in the bud. Just offering some advice that could save him heartache in the future. I think he was very lucky this time that he just happened to have his wheels come out unscathed. I use hi end products too, but have made negligent mistakes myself
the concrete in concern is 'exposed aggregate'. It's flat....

Thanks for your concern. I wouldn't do anything to scratch my baby. Trust me.

Here's the best pic I have at the moment showing the rim guard lip on the tyre. It's huge!

Last edited by LexyISF; 10-31-11 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 06:20 PM
LexyISF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by v8soarer91
good work

i love it when you detail the car and it rains 3hr later
Yep, the 'wet season' has just started here, which is why I was going to use Menzerna Power Lock sealant, instead of wax. I just couldn't help myself!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS F - My new car detail