Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I screwed up my beautiful biege leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-11, 04:09 PM
Cope
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also do not think the meguiars gold was your problem. Lexol is my 1st choice, but I have used meguiars gold on both my cars with no problem. My LS is black but my wife has a new Venza with very light Gray leather and meguiars has worked OK. I also have used it on my beige leather sofas with no problems. Just my experience. I also agree with a previous responce. If there was a problem we would have heard as much of the stuff they sale. Good luck. It would have freaked me also.
Old 10-01-11, 07:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
The problem with your approach is that if those spots are really missing topcoat, oils will penetrate the split-leather leather and weaken the bond to the surrounding topcoat, likely making the damage worse.
If the finish is damaged to the point where it is starting to come off, then it needs to be repaired properly anyway. The approach to treat the leather gingerly will only delay the inevitable.
Old 10-02-11, 08:05 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

The problem with your approach is that if those spots are really missing topcoat, oils will penetrate the split-leather leather and weaken the bond to the surrounding topcoat, likely making the damage worse.

If the topcoat is compromised, the fix is not more oils, it will take refinishing. OTOH, it the spots are just embedded dirt, some gentle scrubbing will remove them. The photos are not conclusive either way. I'd want to inspect the spots with a loupe to see just what we are dealing with but it's hard to understand how normal wear and tear over two years would cause the topcoat to wear like that. If a prior owner had some stains that were scrubbed with a Magic Eraser, that would be a possibility. If it looks like the topcoat is intact then I'd even go so far as to scrub with the Woolite and a soft nylon brush.
The problem is I don't really know whether the top coat is gone and its the leather that is going off or whether the spots are just a spec of dirt which can be removed if i apply a little more of the conditioner. But I'm scared to do that since it may worsen my seats if the top coat is not there.

Do you know how I can find out if the top coat (poly urethane) coating is still there or not ?
Old 10-02-11, 08:33 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I agree with Jim, looks like the clear polyurethane coating is gone and you're dealing with the color undercoat, which is easily abraded / compromised/ soiled, and some of it is wearing away as well.

You can buy SEM clear leather/ vinyl topcoat in a shaker can at most auto paint stores, to add some protection to it and replenish what was originally there, but whatever dirt or discoloration that exists will still be visible. If you can't safely clean it away, then all you can do is have more color sprayed, then clear coated afterward.
How do I know for sure that polyurethane coating is gone for sure ? Is there some test I can do on my leather just to find out. I'll be really happy if it's not gone.

Anyways I got in touch with the 1st owner of the car (through some good source at Lexus ) who really took good care of the car. I asked him if he ever added any chemicals or used professional cleaners/solutions to clean the leather and he told me that he never did. He used to do the cleaning himself with just a brush and water. I don't know what kind of brush he used though.
Maybe its the brush that did the damage but will the top coat vanish by just using brush and water ?
Old 10-02-11, 08:39 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cope
I also do not think the meguiars gold was your problem. Lexol is my 1st choice, but I have used meguiars gold on both my cars with no problem. My LS is black but my wife has a new Venza with very light Gray leather and meguiars has worked OK. I also have used it on my beige leather sofas with no problems. Just my experience. I also agree with a previous responce. If there was a problem we would have heard as much of the stuff they sale. Good luck. It would have freaked me also.
Thanks for your feedback but we can't really compare both our leathers right. Both your shades are much darker. Mine is pure white( or beige), even the tinniest spot can be easily seen. I don't think it's the same with dark/grey leather's.

Maybe these spots can not be seen on darker leathers. It would be great if I could get feedback from guys who used Meguiars Gold Class conditioners on beige leathers.
Old 10-02-11, 08:42 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
If the finish is damaged to the point where it is starting to come off, then it needs to be repaired properly anyway. The approach to treat the leather gingerly will only delay the inevitable.
I really do not know what to make of it. I touched it , watched it closely but can not really tell if it is a dark spot or whether the leather is loosing its color.

Can someone tell me how I can find out the difference and whether there is some way I can find out if the top coat is still there or not. I just contacted the previous owner and he told me he never used any chemicals on the seat. Just water and brush/ cloth.

And I don't think Gold class would have removed my top clear coat.
Old 10-02-11, 08:53 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by embolism
It is possible that the seats were redyed. If you put a drop of water on the seat does it soak in immediately or bead up for a bit?

Not sure if that's a valid test for seeing if your topcoat is still there but the water shouldn't be absorbed like a sponge for sure. Have you put a leather protectant on the areas you've cleaned? Maybe you are just looking at clean leather and you are used to seeing it burnished shiney by the constant rubbing of your clothing on it...

To me it doesn't look as though the topcoat is gone. I'd try putting a protectant on top and seeing if that helps with the look. Also use a terry towel for cleaning and applying your products. It's actually better for the leather than microfibres...
Thanks embolism. I'll try this water test of yours to see if the clear coat is still there. But when I apply the conditioner it just gets absorbed totally , does this mean that the clear coat is gone ?

An added info , previous owner had just used water and a brush to clean his seats. No chemicals used whatsoever.

Why is Terry towel better than micro fibers ? I actually used a polishing pad to apply the paste on to my seats. Then wiped nothing off with a towel. Could this have been the problem ?
Old 10-02-11, 12:37 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd look to using a loupe or magnifier and try to determine if there is an edge around the spots. If you have a soft toothbrush use some of the Woolite / water mix and try agitating a spot and see if it is removed. Does it get darker when it gets wet or did you remove it with the brushing?
Old 10-03-11, 07:44 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

It is possible that the seats were redyed. If you put a drop of water on the seat does it soak in immediately or bead up for a bit?
I tried this and the water did not get absorbed or anything it just rolled down.
Old 10-03-11, 07:47 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

I'd look to using a loupe or magnifier and try to determine if there is an edge around the spots. If you have a soft toothbrush use some of the Woolite / water mix and try agitating a spot and see if it is removed. Does it get darker when it gets wet or did you remove it with the brushing?
I'll just try using more of the gold class cream on a very slight portion on these dark spots and see if its going off or if it worsens. If it worsens I think it might mean that my top coat is gone. I would then have to condition it the way some CL members have mentioned above and top coat my leathers .
Old 10-04-11, 10:13 AM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Well here are some updates. Meguiars customer care is pretty good. They were courteous enough to reply back though there was nothing good in it for me. Here is the mail below from one of Meguiars reps.

Dear Stani
I first want to thank you for your interest in Meguiar's products and I hope your experience is a pleasant one.

Leather is dyed and depending on the leather some can be treated differently than others with dyes. Some are more sensitive to cleaners. That is why we recommend to test leather products for color fastness. In this case your vehicles dye may be sensitive to cleaners. There isnt really much you can do to bring the color back. You can try to wipe the area down with a warm damp cloth to blend it together, but if color has been removed there is no way of reversing that.

Once again thank you for your interest in Meguiar’s. If there is anything else we can do for you please let me know. Also, if you get the chance to send any pictures of the car you are working on I would love to see them.

XXXXXXXXX
Meguiar’s
Customer Care Rep

All I can say is that , Meguiars product has damaged my Lexus leather seats , I hope no one else here suffers the same fate. Our seats are definitely not made for their products since I think it might be too strong or abrasive. But I really think Meguiars should have removed the word conditioner from their label. It's really a strong cleaner than a conditioner. This is very misleading.

Now I gotta recondition my leather and try to bring back its old glory. Oh how I've ruined my pride and joy
Old 10-04-11, 12:39 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our seats can definitely take it since I use it on mine when I do not want to use my Leather Masters kit. You were just unlucky thats all
Old 10-04-11, 02:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by stanjohn12
All I can say is that , Meguiars product has damaged my Lexus leather seats
I highly doubt that.

I still think you should treat your leather with the Leatherique twins. If you need to re-dye certain parts of the seats, they make such kits as well, it's not that hard at all to do. Either way, Leatherique will make the seats 100% clean, and will soften the leather as well. BTW, I have no affiliate with Leatherique, I just find their stuff amazing, it made my seats absolutely beautiful, beyond anything else I have tried. My drivers seat has some damage to the finish and needs to be touched up, the Leatherique made the cracks somewhat more noticeable because it darkens the leather and makes more of a contrast. But that is not the fault of the product, if I did not use Leatherique the dry and dirty leather would continue to degrade. Since I treated the seats (twice now) they have remained in the same condition.
Old 10-04-11, 03:53 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

was the car bought new? I ask b/c unless you know what has been used to clean the seats before you, it might not be the Meg's that caused the damage.

all leather except in some really high end cars, comes coated from the factory. This means that whatever you put on them will not penetrate into the leather, but sit on the topcoat. I seldom use conditioners b/c they don't penetrate. All you need is a mild leather cleaner, and a protectant. This will keep the topcoat clean so dirt doesn't abrade it away as you sit on it day after day, and protected so stains won't have a chance to set.

Once the topcoat is gone, then you access the dyed leather and can rub off the dye if you are not careful. Some people that use abrasive products on their leather like magic erasers have found this out the hard way. The erasers worked great the first few times, but once the topcoat was sanded off, then the dye layer was exposed which is essentially the same as burning through the clearcoat on your car into the paint layer underneath. Unfortunately, the only thing to do in this case is to redye the leather. If this route is taken, make sure they also put on another layer of topcoat, or the same thing could happen again.

With no pictures, it's hard to suggest a course of action. The cheapest method would involve the leatherique twins. It is an involved process that I've read about but never tried (black 2007 leather that looks as good as new) but may work for you since you describe the seats as old and dried out looking. Good luck...
Not that I burned through my topcoat on my leather, but I have used the magic ereaser on my leather once, and that was it. I have learned, or should I say, I am paranoid to do that again, and now only use zaino z-9 and z-10. My leather is perfect. I feel the OP's pain, but I have to admit, I don't think the Megs stuff did his leather in. If the car was used when he bought it, there is no telling what may have happened before he bought it. The Megs may have just cleaned all the stuff that was hiding it. Best of luck to the OP though!

Last edited by Lust4Lexus; 10-04-11 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 12:17 PM
stanjohn12
Lead Lap

Default Some really hopefully good news

Ok I think I really need to tell how I got the car first. I've posted this in another thread as well to explain jfelbab. So here it is

"Ok it's a fact that I am really upset but I'm in no way trying to degrade Meguiars products. I'm just trying to make people aware that this could happen even to them. Anyways to know why I'm upset you need to know exactly how I bought the car first. I got the car even before it reached the dealerships hands.I know some insiders, so I got in touch directly with the customer who was about to give the car to the dealer. Which means I got the car directly from the owner without paying any dealership margins. I just had to pay directly to the customer. So the dealership never really touched or cleaned my car. So clearly they haven't touched the leather. Secondly the 1st owner whom I bought it from seemed very honest and nice and took really good care of his car. So I trust him when he tells me that he has cleaned the seats only with water and a brush. When he gave the car to me I did not see any of these abrasions or fade or spots."

Ok and the really good news now is I just contacted the dealership and they said my car has a warranty till the end of 2012 which me nor the 1st owner knew about. We thought the warranty was just for 2 years and would have been over by now. Anyways it seems like there is a ray of hope . Is it possible for me to claim that the leather seats got damaged just through normal wear and tear and can I ask the dealer to fix it for me under warranty ?

Quick Reply: I screwed up my beautiful biege leather seats