Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need Advice on How to clean spills...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-11, 03:21 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on How to clean spills...

As I have stated in previous threads, I am holding back on modding my 2IS for now as My wife and I were expecting a baby girl Sept. 1st. Well, It just happened last night around 2AM!!! One problem.. while her contractions were getting closer together on our way to the hospital, her water broke all that stuff went (guess where...) on my vented front passenger seats and because they are vented for cool/heat, they soaked in!!! I'm needing advise on how to clean it properly or am I SOL? (Sorry outta luck). I left the heater on so it'll dry it up.. also parked it in the sun and covered the drivers side but left the passenger side expose to help dry it faster. Am I doing this the wrong way? Is there a correct way?

Please help me welcome my beautiful daughter Ellie Yang! 9.61 LBS!!!! JEEBUS!

Don't forget! I need help with cleaning my vented seat. When I press on it I can feel my seat is damped but nothing comes thru the vents so Im assuming the cushion has absorbed it. Hope it does not mold up!
Old 09-04-11, 05:24 PM
LDNN
Driver

Congratulations on the arrival of your daughter. 9.61 lbs... She's a big girl!

Can't say that I've ever had anything like that happened to me so I wouldn't know a "proper way" of cleaning this but why don't you check with both Lexus and a detailer and see what they say about cleaning perforated seats that got liquid in them?

For now I guess parking your car with all doors open at night would help circulate the air to keep the odor from sticking around.

I'd keep drying the car out until it's completely dry. Wash the floor mats, clean all the nooks and gaps of other areas with perhaps some disinfectant to kill whatever bio matters to minimize the odor. I would avoid the disinfectant on the leather, though.

Sorry it happened but imagine what a story to tell at her wedding!
Old 09-04-11, 07:39 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on you and your wife having a baby

As far as the mess goes, i'd hit the leather with some serious leather cleaner and follow with leather conditioner. Keep the windows open like LDNN said if you park the car inside so your letting air run through as much as you can. I would avoid using any harsh cleaners on the leather though.
Old 09-04-11, 07:54 PM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. If you are able to get your hands on some "tuff stuff" multi-purpose foam cleaner (or OXY) it might do the trick. I've used it to remove some stubborn stains before, and it adds a bit of freshness. let it sit for about 30 seconds then wipe off. I have a tan interior but you might want to test in a small area first. Hope it helps.
Old 09-04-11, 08:58 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

One word for you - extractor. You need to visit an upholstery cleaner (or have them visit you) and have them professionally clean the areas that are affected. This is more than just a spill - you have exposed the leather, foam, and other areas to body fluids. Drying them out and letting them air out isn't going to cut it - and you also don't want to run the risk of mold growing, especially with a new little (well, kinda little...) moonchkin.

Congrats on that, too, BTW!

Big Mack
Old 09-05-11, 01:17 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys! Great community unlike the gamer communites.. LMAO! Extractor sounds about right.. Google, Here I come!