Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do i remove this scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-11, 09:29 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i remove this scratch?

Hey guys. besides the fact that my paint is in terrible condition in terms of swirl marks and grime, i have this large scratch that mysteriously appeared on my car. No idea how it happend, but i feel like this is repairable by my own two hands.

I know it looks bad this is repairable right?

I noticed my dad sells this as seen on tv product at his store. its most likely bogus, but has anyone tried this product? I just grabbed it anyway since i can lol

If not, can anyone recommend me a product that can take care of this?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-11, 09:43 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any recommendations however I am staying close and waiting on your results with that very product, who knows maybe it works, I sure can use it lol

Is ur car SGM?
Old 08-15-11, 10:51 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
I don't have any recommendations however I am staying close and waiting on your results with that very product, who knows maybe it works, I sure can use it lol

Is ur car SGM?
i saw some reviews online and they said that it does get rid of the white, but the clear substance is visible. I think im gonna try it on my sisters old beater car first lol

and nope, black onyx. It really needs a good wax/polish. Im too busy now but next summer im gonna get it an extreme detail, hopefully i can restore it a bit and remove a bunch of swirl marks
Old 08-17-11, 06:26 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the scratch catch your finger nail? If so, then it's too deep to be repaired. You will just have to get it re-painted.
Old 08-17-11, 07:22 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Does the scratch catch your finger nail? If so, then it's too deep to be repaired. You will just have to get it re-painted.
yup... im gonna try to fix it with the pen anyways lol gonna do it now!
Old 08-17-11, 08:02 PM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Just came back form using the Fix it pro, and i have to say the product is pretty decent! Here are the pics

This is after i applied it. It covered the scratch, but you could see the clear coat clearly

I then lightly rubbed it into the scratch and removed the excess. It came out pretty good! Some small parts of the scratch are still there since it was too deep. But It definitely reduced the scratch

Here is another picture at a side angle, I can barely even spot it

In the instructions im suppose to let it dry and cure, however i was too scared to let this product dry. So i just kept trying to rub it in and wipe off excess. This alone did a good job.

I also removed some smaller, more fine less severe scratches with the same technique and it worked perfectly, couldnt even tell the scratch was there!
Old 08-18-11, 09:31 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

wow man this looks good compared to the previous scratch, how much would u be willing to send me one over for
Old 08-18-11, 04:34 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

How did you rub off the excess? Just with a towel or did you use some kind of rubbing compound? How long did you let it dry? Thanks.
Old 08-20-11, 01:08 AM
sleekbrian
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by istarzan
How did you rub off the excess? Just with a towel or did you use some kind of rubbing compound? How long did you let it dry? Thanks.
i lightly rubbed the clear coat into the scratch with a paper towel in a circular motion. I waited about 30 seconds and then lightly wiped the area with a damp paper towel to remove the excess. I repeated this process about 3 times to ensure i covered as much of the scratch as possible. I could have let it dry completely without wiping it with a damp paper towel. But like i said, i was too scared to let this product dry with a uneven finish lol
Old 09-02-11, 05:01 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OP: Just curious, does it still look good? Can you see it in sunlight? I have some scratches along the side I really want to get rid of (but don't have an orbital buffer/any experience with professional detailing).
Old 09-02-11, 09:48 PM
CGDetail
Driver School Candidate

That scratch appears to be through the primer down to the metal hence the white color. Only way to fix this would be filling it up with touch up or to repaint. Your resolution of fixing the problem is fine if the results satisfies you.
Old 09-03-11, 03:05 AM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

I think touchup or repainting is good option for it.
Old 01-05-12, 03:45 AM
AWDis250
Driver School Candidate

I have a few scratches very similar to yours around my car and it's annoying. I am looking around for a place that can hopefully fix it. I went to a auto detail shop and they said that the scratch is pretty deep since he can catch it with his nail. He said he can remove some of it, but it will most likely still be visible. However, I seen some videos via Youtube and it seems like there are some people out there that can remove these deep scratches by wet sanding and etc.

Would wet sanding, buffing, and polishing do the work or would I have to re-paint or touch it up?
Old 01-05-12, 03:35 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LIGHT wetsanding by a proper professional can help your situation. It will round out the edges of the scratch and make it catch less light, thus making it less visible. I prefer using clear coat then wetsanding that to make it flush to the surface
Old 01-07-12, 01:49 PM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Nice job, but u might have problems with rust building up since it went all the way to the metal, hopefully not but looks pretty good from the pix

Quick Reply: How do i remove this scratch?