Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing Conquests of a Newb!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 09:32 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Detailing Conquests of a Newb!

My Car: 2010 Lexus IS250 with 15,000 mile on it. 1 yr old never been waxed before. Paint is in great condition with only a few minor scratches.

Washed- 2 bucket system with Dawn
Clayed
Polished with Meguiars M205
2 Coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant

Criticism and comments welcome from Professional Detailers:

Here are 2 scratches on the door that would not come off with regular washing. Have no clue how they got on there but I'm sure it was the wife. Before:

I ended up removing it with the Lake Country Tangerine Hydro-Tech finishing pad and M205. After:

A few pics of Lexi after she's all done with 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant:

The BlackFire Wet Diamond really brings out the flakes in the paint.

Last edited by Diesel350; 02-13-11 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-13-11, 12:09 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Here are a few pics of my 2006 350Z that I also detailed. 74,000 miles never detailed before.

Clay Bar'd my entire car after washing my car with Dawn soap. As you can see even after washing my car the Clay Bar picked up tons of dirt and contaminates off the paint that regular washing couldn't pick up.

Before:

After:

You can see how big this scratch is before hand, Before:

As you can see in the after pic I minimized it quite a bit. Next time I will try and hit it with a more aggressive pad but unfortunately I think it's too deep to completely remove without wetsanding it.

This is soot from the exhaust that could not be removed by hand wash, Before:

After:

As you can see in the first photo lots of fine scratches and then a pretty deep big one near the lower half of the pillar going all the way across.

BEFORE:

Used M105 followed by M205 as you can see it made a HUGE difference. Only thing I did not completely remove was that big scratch in the lower half of the pillar. Will probably have to use a more aggressive pad to get it out.

AFTER:

Look at all the scratches in my rear, Before:

After:

She's all sealed up in the rear with BlackFire WetDiamond.

I love the Black Fire Wet Diamond Sealant. After you put it on the paint is sooo silky smooth.

A few more pics.

Few fine scratches on roof:

Scratches all gone:

Showing the gloss of the Blackfire sealant on hood:

Driver door:
Old 02-13-11, 12:10 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Did some more polishing to take out a few scratches then apply my second coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond. Here are two scratches that would not come out with a Cyan Pad and M105 cutting polish:

So I decided to whip out the most aggressive pad I had which is the Yellow pad and put my Porter Cable on a speed of 6 and these stubborn scratches are gone!! Keep in mind this pic below is just the cutting polish, I haven't even applied the finishing polish or sealant at this point.

Another stubborn scratch that I got rid of with a Cyan pad Before:

After:

Pic Taken with point and shoot:

Close up, Look at that smoothness:

Pic taken with point and shoot.

A few more pics with the point and shoot showing 2 coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond

Right side Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Left side Before:

Left Side After:

Old 02-13-11, 07:43 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow man! Great job with the detail. I love Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant. Especially if it's on a darker color car. I still can't believe how much it brought out the metallic's in your IS. How long did it take you to do both cars? Also, what did you use on the headlight on the Z? They look great!
Old 02-14-11, 12:47 AM
filthywet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job bro. i just finished my girls white tc with the meguiars line up. cant wait to do my is.
Old 02-14-11, 02:26 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like there's built up dirt or something on the edges of your door handle vinyl.
Old 02-14-11, 05:54 AM
detailersdomain
Former Sponsor

looks great!
Old 02-14-11, 05:57 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

Looks awesome, bet you have the best looking vehicle's on the block!
Old 02-14-11, 11:36 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Wow man! Great job with the detail. I love Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant. Especially if it's on a darker color car. I still can't believe how much it brought out the metallic's in your IS. How long did it take you to do both cars? Also, what did you use on the headlight on the Z? They look great!
Took me about 6 hours on the Lexus since I only had to do a 1 step polish. The 350Z I did over the span of a few days since I had to do a 2 step polish and there was heavy paint correction to be done.

For the headlights I just used the Tangerine pad with Meguiars M205 Finishing polish and the Porter Cable 7424XP.
Old 02-14-11, 11:38 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jetfire
looks like there's built up dirt or something on the edges of your door handle vinyl.
Yea on the clear protective film? Not sure how to get that out.
Old 02-14-11, 11:40 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Angelo@ProperAutoCare
Looks awesome, bet you have the best looking vehicle's on the block!
Thanks, I always get compliments on how clean both cars all the time.
Old 02-14-11, 12:08 PM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

Seriously great work. I know what you mean about Wet Diamond as well, ultra slick and looks great.

Congrats, you autos look amazing (and congrats on having such cool cars to work on!)
Old 02-14-11, 04:10 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Is there a way to remove swirls by hand without using the machine? I haven't done anything hardcore besides a regular wash on my black 06 Lex lol. So where do I start, because I see tons of swirls in the sun
Old 02-15-11, 04:14 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by energie8
Is there a way to remove swirls by hand without using the machine? I haven't done anything hardcore besides a regular wash on my black 06 Lex lol. So where do I start, because I see tons of swirls in the sun
Swirls are the result of improper washing techniques. You probably want to reassess the way you wash the car by employing the 2 bucket system with a grit guard or a foam gun. This will prevent you from adding further swirls. I don't think you will fully be able to remove the swirls without a machine. You might be able to hand polish with a swirl remover product but I just think that will be a temporary fix.
Old 02-15-11, 05:22 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

I totally agreed with Diesel350, and here is our European Hand Polish Applicators that can be use if you want to do it by hand with these fine polishers from Menzerna, Meguiar's, Blackfire and Klasse.

http://www.properautocare.com/euhapoap.html

http://www.properautocare.com/polish.html

Quick Reply: Detailing Conquests of a Newb!