Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

When to wax a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 01:10 PM
smackman
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When to wax a new car.

When should I wax my new car for the 1st time? I will be using Meguair's Car Care products. Is that okay?

I am a Novice. LOL
Old 07-01-11, 01:29 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

new as in it just came out the factory?

Usually wait a month or so for fresh new paint before applying any kind of products
Old 07-01-11, 01:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldn't wait. Wash and wax it as soon as you take delivery.

It's common misbelief that you need to let fresh paint cure (true in case of bodyshops and aftermarket paint).... but OEM paint is fully cured by the time it hits the sales floor.
Old 07-01-11, 02:08 PM
smackman
Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

It's common misbelief that you need to let fresh paint cure (true in case of bodyshops and aftermarket paint).... but OEM paint is fully cured by the time it hits the sales floor.
Thanks; I think I will go with the post that has over 4000 post.

I want my car to look good. I have heard Meguair's car products are "good". I have a challenge because my 2011 ISC 250 convertible is black(Obsidian).

The Car kit contains Wash and wax, Micro Fiber Wash Mitt, Water Magnet Microfiber Drying towel

Ultimate liquid wax,soft foam applicator pad, Super Supreme Microfiber Towel

Endurance Tire Gel and another soft foam applicator pad.

I have read and will use the 2 bucket system. I really want to take care of this car personally so any tips on cleaning??

We love our Convertible; This is our 1st Lexus. We owned a 2007 Toyota Avalon before this and traded it in 2010 for a 2011 Ford Taurus limited that really sucked;beautiful Car but not well built at all.

I new better than to leave Toyota! June 20 we bought this 2011 ISC 250.

The wife 34 years said it is time for a convertible; Kids are grown; we are in our low 50's and ready to have some fun with this beautiful car.
Old 07-01-11, 02:43 PM
diablo1714
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first weekend I had mone, I did a wash, clay bar -- then 2 coats of polymer wax.
Even clayed the glass & wheels, and polymer on them too.
That should be good for a couple of months, provided its washed weekly or so.

Since your Obsidian, check out Meguir's Nano-coating product. Videos on youtube etc.
This will save you tons of repeated work, and you pretty much only have to wash.
Enjoy the new ride and post pics when you're done!
Old 07-01-11, 02:47 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wash and wax is asap as said above. Then post up some pictures and share how nice the car out.
Old 07-01-11, 02:54 PM
ITR43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300

+1

By the time your car is at the dealer, it's been painted at the factory well over 30 days ago. This is what I did when I got mine; Wash, Clay, Wash, Paint Cleaner, Sealant, wait for it to cure, Sealant, wait for it to cure, Wax. I did this to my Obsidian IS350 and a Space Grey M3 this way recently with great results.

If the dealer has already washed and prepped your vehicle, you may need to polish the swirls out as well for better results.
Old 07-01-11, 03:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by smackman
Thanks; I think I will go with the post that has over 4000 post.

I want my car to look good. I have heard Meguair's car products are "good". I have a challenge because my 2011 ISC 250 convertible is black(Obsidian).

The Car kit contains Wash and wax, Micro Fiber Wash Mitt, Water Magnet Microfiber Drying towel

Ultimate liquid wax,soft foam applicator pad, Super Supreme Microfiber Towel

Endurance Tire Gel and another soft foam applicator pad.

I have read and will use the 2 bucket system. I really want to take care of this car personally so any tips on cleaning??

We love our Convertible; This is our 1st Lexus. We owned a 2007 Toyota Avalon before this and traded it in 2010 for a 2011 Ford Taurus limited that really sucked;beautiful Car but not well built at all.

I new better than to leave Toyota! June 20 we bought this 2011 ISC 250.

The wife 34 years said it is time for a convertible; Kids are grown; we are in our low 50's and ready to have some fun with this beautiful car.
Thanks,

I would highly recommend using some sort of paint sealant (such as the Blackfire Wed Diamond or Menzerna Powerlock) on your IS or a strong wax such as Collinite 845 or Collinite 476S. These types of waxes greatly outlast a traditional carnauba wax, and especially most liquid/ spray waxes that only seem to last a few weeks at the most.

The products I recommended are extremely easy to apply and remove. The 476S is a bit tougher as it's in paste form, but you will be glad it's on there because it's one (if not THE longest lasting wax on the market). Plus, it's cheap and could be bought from any detailing store online or on ebay.

And remember, don't use dish soap to wash the car because that will quickly strip any wax or sealant that's on there.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!
Old 07-01-11, 07:41 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just a couple more point regarding your use of Meguiar's products. I would recommend clay-barring as part of your process. Even a new car may have bonded contaminates in the surface and ultimately those will affect the final look of your car. With Obsidian, and most other colors, you want clarity of your reflections and removing bonded contaminates with assist that.

Of course removing any swirls in the finish will also improve Obsidian. In my opinion those are best removed with a dual action buffer and perhaps your new car doesn't have any or many swirls and you can forgo that step for now.

You kit has Ultimate Wax in it and Meguiar's considers Ultimate Wax one of, if not the, longest lasting sealant they make. When you put it on you should put on two coats. Not so much for layering purposes, but to insure complete coverage. However, you should wait 12 hours between coats.

Also when putting on Ultimate Wax, it maybe be put on in a non-traditional manner. Lay it down on a section of the car and then wipe it off in 3-5 minutes. You may, if you wish, also put it on the entire car, wait an hour or hours then wipe it off.

If you start with a clean and shiny car, Ultimate Wax is highly reflective and will look great on Obsidian.

Good luck.

Last edited by DunWkg; 07-01-11 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 04:26 PM
smackman
Driver

Default Picture of my car after "Novice" detail job

These are pictures of my 2011 ISC 250 after using Meguiar's products.
Attached Thumbnails When to wax a new car.-fine.jpg   When to wax a new car.-lexuse.jpg   When to wax a new car.-lexusd.jpg  
Old 07-03-11, 05:19 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Your car is looking good!!

Enjoy your new ride. Actually it looks like someone is enjoying so much you can't get her out of the driver's seat.
Old 07-04-11, 12:33 AM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

do it right away, dont get the misconseption that the car is new so there are no issues with the paint. a friend of mine just bought a brand new porcshe gt3 with 0 miles on it. he took delivery and brought it straight to his detailer. long story short, paint correction took 11 hours.
Old 07-12-11, 12:56 AM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

your car looks great this product is good.
Old 07-14-11, 11:06 AM
JDMStanced
Rookie

What is the benefit of waxing a car? polish looks just as good
Old 07-14-11, 12:36 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

polishing oils are present mainly as a lubricant for the abrasives to do their job. They offer nothing in terms of protection or durability.

While it is true that the overall look is largely dependent on how well the paint is polished, a wax/sealant/permanent coating is the only way to protect the paint from environmental damage (UV, fallout, sap, tar, iron etc) for any appreciable length of time.

Quick Reply: When to wax a new car.