Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black paint looks like crap!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-02, 12:11 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black paint looks like crap!?!

I have a 98 GS4. Black exterior and aside from having a magnet hidden somewhere inside my front bumper that attracts only stones and not metal, the overall paint condition is pretty bad.

The paint is fading and looks as though it was wrapped in packing tape that left marks on it, especially on the roof. To make things even worse, our two kittens/cats have scratched up pretty much every side of the car by attempting to jump up on it and sliding back down, claws out!

Short of just repainting the whole thing..... and/or boiling the cats....

What can be/should be done? Use a polishing compound on it? Is this something that you (me) can do yourself?

Is it true that the black paint doesn't have a clearcoat on it and it will never really hold up?

Thoughts!?
Old 09-12-02, 12:35 AM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black paints with no clearcoat usually have ample paint applied to make up for the lack of clearcoat. Automotive finishes will hold up well if protected by waxes or sealants.

If you don't have a garage, chances are a black car will be a chore, or an eyesore.

After washing:
Can you feel the marks on the roof with your fingertips?
or the cat scratches ?
Does the paint look etched?

Use a Mirepoix with the cat boil.
Carrots, celery, and onions

About an hour before serving, toss in 2 cups of diced potatoes. Yum.
Old 09-12-02, 12:35 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

You should have clearcoat. But the cats in my neighborhood have a method of removal...clawing.

If you use polishing/rubbing compounds on a black car, you will have horrid swirl marks and fine scratches. If you have cats that you let outside, you should just go paint the car white. I would suggest offering your neighbors the same courtesy. Your cats are probably not just ruining your car.

If you want to try to restore your paint job, I would get someone to do a careful wet-sanding. Then apply about 10 coats of Zaino. De-claw those cats or leave them indoors. (sorry it is a sore spot with me)

The last black car I had, I stripped to metal, primered and then painted it with ultra hard jet black paint. Then anytime I got a ding, scratch, or damn cat claw in the paint....I just re-painted that panel. It always matched because it had no tint and no metallic.

Best of luck.

MW
Old 09-12-02, 04:41 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the really fine scratches, try something called 3m Swirl Mark Remover from some place online or Mequiar's Scratch-X from many locals stores. rub those into the scratch until the paste becomes a powder and at least some of the scratch will disappear. use a microfiber towel if possible or at least a 100% terry cotton towel. otherwise, cheap towels will swirl your car, as will cheap washing items/techniques

the "tape residue" on the bumper...can you feel it? or, is something stuck on there or are they also scratches? if you could feel it, like something is stuck on there, try a bug and tar remover if it is some crap like that. if its hard, like old dust or watermarks, get something called a clay bar. you should do this anyways, it'll make your paint feel like glass again. a claybar from autozone or walmart will take all this stuff that is stuck on your car that you can feel but not wash off. run your fingers across the paint if it doesn't feel like your windows, the claybar will make your car so much better, and it's $15 tops.
Old 09-12-02, 10:27 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't have a clearcoat.

With the clay bar, be sure to do it _before_ waxing the car. You want to be cleaning the actual surface finish. You can get products that prep the surface (they strip the wax) without harming the finish. I think 3M makes some, but I can't remember the name.

I also used to have a black car. I don't know how bad your scratches are, but try a scratch removal product before you do a rubbing compound. Rubbing compounds work by gently abrading the finish down the depth of the scratch (I think).

One other thing you can try is filling in the deep scratches/nicks yourself with a matched paint touchup and clear coat product. You need a perfect paint code match for this, so try here for products and ideas on technique:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/scratchfix.html

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch-up-paint-moreinfo.htm

I ordered some factory matched paint and some clearcoat from Paintscratch.com but never got a chance to use it as the car was totalled.

Once the finish is "repaired", you can protect it with several coats of wax (NOT silicone - you'll never get it off).

Meguiar's in particular carries a large line of specialty products for just about any car care need, and their website is pretty helpful in discussing methods.

Ral
Old 09-13-02, 12:24 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Thanks!

I appreciate everyones ideas, will definitely get some clay, and try some Scratch-X. Will let you know how it comes out.

Anybody want a couple of nice (big) kittens?
Old 09-13-02, 12:51 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Are they nice and meaty?

Ral
Old 09-13-02, 06:34 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RalAegidius
Are they nice and meaty?
all natural corn-fed too?! and do let us know how it goes.

lexus black has no clearcoat for some damn reason. two reps at two different dealerships that i was dealing with both said that, and both said it makes the car look better. i'd like them to tell me that a few months after it goes off the lot
Old 09-13-02, 09:09 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bravo261
lexus black has no clearcoat for some damn reason. two reps at two different dealerships that i was dealing with both said that, and both said it makes the car look better. i'd like them to tell me that a few months after it goes off the lot
For real! :eek: That wacky...no clearcoat. I used to have a red Dodge with no clearcoat and after 10 years that thing looked like *****.

Ral
Old 09-14-02, 05:31 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RalAegidius

For real! :eek: That wacky...no clearcoat. I used to have a red Dodge with no clearcoat and after 10 years that thing looked like *****.

Ral
our black cars are gonna swirl like a mother, so i've been doing a whole lotta reading about waxes and such. but its a sizable investment of $300 or so to get started.
Old 09-15-02, 01:08 AM
Murph
Pole Position

I used Griots #3 polish with an orbital machine. Took all swirls out. Then hand wax with Griot's "Best in Class" wax. You'll love your black car again.

I wrote this up some time ago. Search on Griot and you'll find it.

Murph

PS: Get a dog to take care of those felines
Old 09-15-02, 05:07 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

i'll be getting a random orbital soon, cause getting swirls out by hand is a horrible affair. my arms can't take that abuse
Old 09-15-02, 12:50 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

bravo,

Are you buying a Porter Cable?
Old 09-15-02, 03:16 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

I think I'm going to have to get an orbital polisher too. The last time I waxed my car I was utterly wiped out when I was finished. Plus it's hard to apply a thin coat by hand and I had to work really hard to get it off.

Ral
Old 09-15-02, 03:25 PM
Daddy-O
Lexus Champion

Ral...What wax are you using? I'm 180º in my thinking.

I find waxing my car by hand to be one of the easiest and most rewarding steps in car care. Easier than washing and drying. Polishing and glazing...That's the major PITA.

If you use the right product, the right applicator and right removal towelage, and follow the instructions, it's a snap.

So, what wax are you using?

Quick Reply: Black paint looks like crap!?!